It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Critics Blast Obama's Scheduled Notre Dame Commencement Address

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Nearly 65,000 people have signed an online petition protesting President Obama's scheduled May 17 commencement address at the University of Notre Dame, saying the president's views on abortion and stem cell research "directly contradict" Roman Catholic teachings.

"It is an outrage and a scandal that 'Our Lady's University,' one of the premier Catholic universities in the United States, would bestow such an honor on President Obama given his clear support for policies and laws that directly contradict fundamental Catholic teachings on life and marriage," the petition at notredamescandal.com reads.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I am a little ignorant in this area, so could someone tell me the last time a University petitioned against a President speaking at their campus.

It might have been W, but I honestly do not remember something like this.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
It is the President. I am sure his views were known before he was invited to give the address. He doesn't bother to hide them.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I agree with those that signed the petition.

Obama never should have been invited.

He's pro abortion and it can be argued that he's pro infantacide.

The Catholic Church is VERY clear about not having culture of deathers given a place of honor in Catholic institutions.

Shame on Notre Dame.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Agreed.

That is one of the problems stated in the article. As of right now the University is keeping the commitment, but that is alot of signatures for a university.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I would think that if a strong majority of the graduating class signed that petition that the invitation should be revoked.

I mean, it is their graduating class, and they should have a say in who gives the commencement.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I don't think the invitation should be revoked, it is the President of The United States after all.

President Obama should cancell the the lecture claiming something came up at the last minute.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I would think that Obama should be a little to busy to waste time making a commencement speech for any school.

Of course, that's just me...

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by subject x

He wasn't too busy to be on Leno or ESPN....

And, maybe the invite shouldn't be revoked. But, if the graduating class doesn't want him to give the commencement, then he shouldn't.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Yeah, I thought he shouldn't have done those shows, either.

He has way to much on his plate to be wasting time doing media events.

Not to mention I think appearances like these are helping to drain whatever respectability is left in the office.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
New marketing strategy being used by the party's. It's a never-ending public relations focus. We'll see more of this.... promise.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Do we have to?? :shk:

Doesn't this man have a job??

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I agree. As an irish catholic, I would sign this petition. It actually makes no sense to have him there.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I overlooked that it is an online petition, so the number may not be an accurate count of those at the university.

Still from the article, ND is caught up in a mess they shouldn't be in.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The Catholic Church is VERY clear about not having culture of deathers given a place of honor in Catholic institutions.

Shame on Notre Dame.

Since you are somehow entitled to pass out shame, I politely request you shed some on the Catholic Church. They deserve plenty.

Kind Regards......KK

[edit on 24-3-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
It is a shame when the Church gets in bed with politicians.

I felt strongly enough to email the President of ND about this:

Dear Fr. Jenkins,

I was a devout Catholic for 52 years. For many years I went to daily Mass. I am no longer Catholic in large part because of actions of Catholic leaders that go against my faith.

I will always be Pro-Life. That you want the President to speak at the commencement is a tragedy. He was against the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban and supported infanticide for babies of botched abortions.

Thank you for re-affirming that I made the right decision to leave this hippo critical religion. For the sake of all the students under your supervision I am saddened. May God grant them the wisdom you seem to lack.

Sincerely,
Ann XXXXX

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
It is a shame when the Church gets in bed with politicians.

I think it is more of a shame when he Church gets in bed with........altar boys.

Golly, some folks on this site can be a self-righteous bunch.

Regards....KK

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Nearly 65,000 people have signed an online petition protesting President Obama's scheduled May 17 commencement address at the University of Notre Dame . . "It is an outrage and a scandal that 'Our Lady's University,' one of the premier Catholic universities in the United States, would bestow such an honor on President Obama . .

YOU are the outrage! YOU sound like George Bush. IF Notre Dame is a great university, and it is, then it must have an open mind and it must discourse with those it disagrees with. It amazes me how religion can be so divisive. And it is true there is no one so closed minded as a religious fanatic.

Catholics make up about 30% of the US population. They are NOT of ONE mind however much Pope Benedict XVI (and some posters) wishes that were so. I think recent polls reflect this much.

I think it was a great COUP for Notre Dame to be able to get HIM first! And the message Mr. Obama is already conveying is that he wants to DISCOURSE with people with whom he SHARES disagreements. NOT your George Bush closed mind type!

I should think you would be glad to see a NEW man in the White House! And speaking FIRST at a great Catholic university!

The Palin-Limbaugh Axis of Ignorance.
This is the dumbest thing the HARD RIGHT WING has done lately. After Louisiana's own Boob-y Jindal. It reflects their INTOLERANCE to different opinions. It shows they are truly self-blinded SINGLE ISSUE types who deserve just what they got in the previous 8 years. A dead-end war and a wrecked economy! Legacy! Or Lunacy?

Notre Dame is trying to help you poor folks get a handle on Century Twenty-one. Your thinking is IN-BRED. You talk to fellow travelers too much. You need some outside thinking and that is what any good university is about, and it is what Notre Dame is about. ND is not endorsing what Pres. Obama says or thinks, it is challenging you to re-think your life! And your own convictions. And maybe even to love someone a little bit? GO FOR IT!

[edit on 3/25/2009 by donwhite]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

The Catholic Curch repents constantly for the actions of some of its number who engaged in this horrific crime. Beyond the earthly judicial sanctions imposed upon the perpetrators we can hope too in divine Justice for the sins themselves and their consequence. One of which is the endless mugging of any discussion of the Catholic Church by those motivated by hatred of Christ's Church.

The Catholic Church does not promote or legislate in favour of child abuse, the current President does. Countless millions slaughtered before the opportunity to draw their first breath, that's child abuse too.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Supercertari
reply to post by kinda kurious

The Catholic Curch repents constantly for the actions of some of its number who engaged in this horrific crime. Beyond the earthly judicial sanctions imposed upon the perpetrators we can hope too in divine Justice for the sins themselves and their consequence. One of which is the endless mugging of any discussion of the Catholic Church by those motivated by hatred of Christ's Church.

The Catholic Church does not promote or legislate in favour of child abuse...

Sorry, that don't help me sleep at night.

"Bless this sacred broom that we sweep our misdeeds under the rug of forgiveness"

I suppose you were never an altar boy or "served" by your local priest.

Honestly, this "Hollier Than Thou" attitude gets a tad tiring after a while.

But would you care to debate the "atonement" of your church in the modern era or should we venture back to the Crusades?

KK

[edit on 25-3-2009 by kinda kurious]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join