It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meat Eaters Beware!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
This story hit the news wires about an hour ago:

If you eat meat you may want to read this:

The following was taken from:

The Worldview Blog

The Washington Post

Eating red meat increases the chances of dying prematurely, according to a large federal study that offers powerful new evidence that a diet that regularly includes steaks, burgers and pork chops is hazardous to your health.

The study of more than 500,000 middle-age and elderly Americans found that those who consumed the equivalent of about a small hamburger every day were more than 30 percent more likely to die during the 10 years they were followed, mostly from heart disease and cancer. Sausage, cold cuts and other processed meats also increased the risk.

Previous research had found a link between red meat and an increased risk of heart disease and cancer, particularly colorectal cancer, but the new study is the first large examination of the relationship between eating meat and overall mortality.

"The bottom line is we found an association between red meat and processed meat and an increased risk of mortality," said Rashmi Sinha of the National Cancer Institute, who led the study published today in the Archives of Internal Medicine.

In contrast, routine consumption of fish, chicken, turkey and other poultry decreased the risk of death by a small amount, the study found.

There are a number of sites reporting the story. I put all the links into one post at the Worldview blog

I would not jump to any conclusions yet, many times a report will come out saying something is unhealthy only to be changed later.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Hmm...I wonder what the Eskimos have to say about this.

They have been eating red meat for centuries...seems they live very long lives and are doing just fine.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
That is a good point. It would be interesting to see what the results would be if the same study was done on different cultures.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The cause of death is life, so enjoy it while you are here!!

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tsrk30

Well I guess I dont have to worry too much I eat chicken. Red meat I eat maybe 2 times a month. Not really a fan of red meat.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I think that study means if you eat it everyday.
Another misleading type thread title.
A balanced diet which includes red meat once a week is considered healthy.
And pork is white meat, you can include that once a week to.
Lean pork steak is lower in fat than chicken and beef.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
i'm gonna go ahead and call BS on this one. the guy's name sounds like he's hindu, of course he doesn't want you to eat cows. but chicken and fish are ok huh?

i'm sure if you did a study you could "prove" that working in a laboratory reduces your life expectancy compared to someone that doesn't. spending 5hrs a day on the internet can reduce your life expectancy too i'm sure.

i really doubt this is true. i'm sure they're taking into account people who have died due to tainted meat or improperly cooked meals.

even if this is true i'm sure just taking care of your colon once or twice a year is sufficient. quit eating red meat for 3-5days and get some healthy workouts and diet in and you'll be just as fine as any vegetarian.

you know the old saying...

their ain't no meat in potato chips

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Inuits live differently then most of society today does.
They kill and eat their red meat differently then how our red meat gets to us.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
but that's not what the guy says. he didn't say "people that eat poor quality red meat" or "red meat that has too much feces in it" or anything like that. which is why the eskimo reference is spot on.

i could just as easily use marie curie as a reason that we should no longer have scientists.

if he has a point it isn't that red meat is bad for you. it's that red meat is good for you but vegetables are BETTER for you. if that's even true, which it probably is.

i've never heard of an ape eating a steak and they seem to grow just fine.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by RFBurns

Inuits live differently then most of society today does.
They kill and eat their red meat differently then how our red meat gets to us.

Not to mention how much cleaner their environment is. (Toxins, pollution, hormones, chemicals, fertilizers, etc.). I'm sure that plays a very big part.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
"Beef...it ain't what's for dinner anymore"...

Everything in moderation, people....and the fresher your red meat, the better...and btw...Eskimos, the Inuit people and all other Native Americans balance out their meals by incorporating grains,vegetables, fish, nuts, fruits and berries. Same with the Orientals, and other cultures throughout the world.

America and Germany come to mind, when I think of unhealthy red meat use/gluttony.... and of course over use of "junk foods".

~Holly

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MajesticJax

This thread shouldn't be about eating red meat.
This thread should be more about not tampered with red meat and red meat that HAS been tampered with.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
The part they are not telling you is that processed meat contains sodium nitrate (used to keep the meat red and looking fresh) but it causes pancreatic cancer.

If you're aiming for a raging case of cancer, the first thing you've got to do is start consuming food ingredients that actually promote cancer. One of the most powerful cancer-promoting food ingredients of all is called sodium nitrate. This is an ingredient that is added to virtually all packaged meat products including hot dogs, pepperoni, ham, lunchmeat and other similar products. You'll also find it in bacon, sausages and most breakfast meats. It's listed right on the ingredients labels of all of these foods. In order to find sodium nitrate, all you have to do is walk around the grocery store, read the ingredients labels of various packaged meat products and purchase those products that contain it. Then, consume them on a frequent basis and before long, you will greatly increase your odds of being diagnosed with cancer.

How to give yourself cancer in five easy steps

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
WebMD has picked up the story:

Eating Red Meat May Boost Death Risk

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Alert -

Not Eating Food Results In Death!

We live longer now than at any time in our History despite our diet.

Studies produce large Government Funded Salaries for those in Medicine who otherwise would not have much to do. The Scientists who bring us these studies eat large quantities of Government Pork. The other white meat.

You will pry my hickory smoked Ribeyes off my grill out of my cold dead fingers. Please pass me a bottle of Alaskan Amber Ale, eh? Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Cool, I think I'll go throw a porterhouse on the bbq for dinner. Who wants to live to be all decrepit and quite possibly not all there in the head anyways? Naw, I'll be fine if I go at 60 instead of 80+

I suppose I could live to be 120 if I did everything just the right way. Of course, I probably would not have much joy in my life(since I would have to stop doing so much stuff that I quite enjoy), so would I want to live to be 120? I enjoy red meat quite a bit, and I bbq as much as possible. Not just red meat, but pretty much anything that can be. But, I have been known to have a steak with a side of steak and have eaten a 40+ oz steak at one sitting no problem.

I don't think I would want to live very long in a world where I could not enjoy a nice tasty steak.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsrk30
This story hit the news wires about an hour ago:

If you eat meat you may want to read this:

The following was taken from:

The Worldview Blog

The Washington Post

Eating red meat increases the chances of dying prematurely, according to a large federal study that offers powerful new evidence that a diet that regularly includes steaks, burgers and pork chops is hazardous to your health.

The study of more than 500,000 middle-age and elderly Americans found that those who consumed the equivalent of about a small hamburger every day were more than 30 percent more likely to die during the 10 years they were followed, mostly from heart disease and cancer. Sausage, cold cuts and other processed meats also increased the risk.

Previous research had found a link between red meat and an increased risk of heart disease and cancer, particularly colorectal cancer, but the new study is the first large examination of the relationship between eating meat and overall mortality.

"The bottom line is we found an association between red meat and processed meat and an increased risk of mortality," said Rashmi Sinha of the National Cancer Institute, who led the study published today in the Archives of Internal Medicine.

In contrast, routine consumption of fish, chicken, turkey and other poultry decreased the risk of death by a small amount, the study found.

There are a number of sites reporting the story. I put all the links into one post at the Worldview blog

I would not jump to any conclusions yet, many times a report will come out saying something is unhealthy only to be changed later.

'Middle aged' and 'elderly' american's have never had the healthiest diet but theres no substantiation to this whatsoever. All conjecture. There's so many other factors involved.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
We live longer now than at any time in our History despite our diet.

In whose history? American's? I certainly hope you don't think worldwide, because that's certainly not true. And remember there's a difference between being kept alive and actually living.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Meat SUCKS! It's Nasty
. We humans are not supposed to eat meat. We have flat teeth like herbevors. and our digestive system has trouble digesting meat. It takes days for meat to digest in humans. Think evolution. We are not Lions, Wolves or Tigers, we do not have big sharp teeth like them, we do not have claws, we don't have the same speed and we aren't so big. Imagine back Millions of years ago a human in the wild with our flaky nails and flat teeth chasing after a Wolf to eat it. What are we going to do? pick it up and bite on it? Our flat teeth can not even take a bite at it and the wolf would clearly escape from the attack, as will a Lion and a Tiger and so on. Our speed is not as fast as other animals. Start eating right, seriously. Vegeterian or Vegan? Take your pick, your body will thank YOU. And so will your Life-span.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by HereBy1

if god wanted us to be vegetarians then why did he make animals out of meat?

(god i would love to claim that. i'm fighting my conscious here people. arrrrrghhh i lose... that is a steven wright quote)

and please, don't try and make vegetarians look healthy or something. eating 10 pounds of french fries is no better than 10 pounds of steak.

[edit on 23-3-2009 by Mozzy]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join