It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people commit suicide when God is suppose to only give you as much as you can stand??

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Why do people commit suicide when God is suppose to only give you as much as you can stand??

I guess it's like when you explain a situation to God, explain what you'd like to see happen and then ask for God's will. God gives us what He gives us and we do with it what we will.

We are human and God made us human. With being human comes imperfections. We are not God or God-like. Some are better than others at handling all kinds of things that life throws at us. Suicide has nothing to do with God. It has to do with being human. I think it is both courageous and cowardly to commit suicide. Quite the contradiction.

God is okay with humans handling life in whatever way they have to. After all, God made us human and He understands what human means. Most people that follow one religion or another generally feel quilty for being human which is sadly pathetic.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by saber13
But if God only gives you as much as you can handle then why do people commit suicide? I've asked this question to many of my friends and family and all they can tell me is that some people are weak. But if they are weak then why did God give them so much to handle?

I think the great misconception is that "God" (or the Universal Consciousness or whatever you want to call it) deals with people on a one-on-one basis, holding our hands like toddlers and walking us through life's conflicts.

Truth is, God probably doesn't even know you exist. Nor does it care.

Oh, yes, I have faith that there is something like a Conscious Universe at work all around us. But that something is not bound by our puny logic nor our sense of fair play and justice. In the Conscious Universe, there is no good & evil, no right & wrong, no love & hate. Those are all Human concepts, Human creations that have some little use as survival tools in our material world, but God probably views it all the same, as equal folly.

As far as God is concerned, Mother Teresa and Adolf Hitler are equals — they performed their little routines in life, followed their own moral compasses and impacted millions of lives, stirring up quite a bit of excitement in the process. I think the Conscious Universe does react to mass outpourings of common grief or joy; but I don't think that God really cares which it is.

God probably doesn't care if you commit suicide or if you prevent somebody else from committing suicide. Probably doesn't care if you save a hundred babies from a burning orphanage or if you go on a shooting spree and splatter a hundred students down at the campus. I know, that sounds pretty callous, but the weight of the evidence indicates that God doesn't take sides one way or another.

God isn't our babysitter, okay? God is more like a heavy surf — you can paddle out in it, pretend that you know what you're doing; but if you can't handle it, you're going to drown. If you can handle it, on the other hand, or if you're very lucky, you make it back to shore a little wiser. God doesn't care one way or the other.

Kowabunga., dudes.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by saber13

It has been my experience that God will let us take more than what we can stand, but it is at times like that - that we have the opportunity to see Him in action. For often, only in those times will he perform what is needed to get us through another day, not always in the ways we wish, but in the ways we need.

Once we have eliminated all our options and turn to our higher power for help, I find that he always comes through, if we don't quit before the miracle.

It is very easy to grow spiritually when one is doing well. Take away everything, and then spirituality becomes a challenge. I have done my greatest growth, and received the greatest strength, while under tribulation and confusion.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
This is going to tick a lot of people off, but this is the picture I carry and pull out when someone tell me:

1. God only give you as much as you can handle.
2. If you put your mind to it, you can do anything in the world!
3. God loves us.
4. Sin is what causes bad things to happen to people.
5. Suffering is beautiful! (We wouldn't do this to our dog because it's inhumane, but it's ok for grandma to suffer in ICU for weeks, undergoing multiple procedures and surgeries.)

Oh yeah?
Wanting a Meal

Ironically, the man who made that picture killed himself. Apparently he couldn't come to grips with the suffering he saw.

I think there are a variety of reasons for a person to commit suicide, including a chemical imbalance, severe emotional trauma, lack of emotional support, and yes, control. You don't have a choice to be born or not, why not have a choice of when you die?

I'm planning a way out if they ever give me a nasty diagnosis. I see people in a high level ICU five days a week, some of whom will be leaving through the back door in a bag after a long fight, and that is NOT what I want for me. Other people may want to go that way, but not me.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by saber13

not strong faith. period. I get thsoe thoughts sometimes, and you gotta really listen to God and do his bidding. I was TERRIBLE like 2 days ago, today, good.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lookingup
1. God only give you as much as you can handle.

God does give people as much as they can handle. Some people handle it by giving up and blowing their brains out. Others handle it by pushing on and getting gray hair.

2. If you put your mind to it, you can do anything in the world!

This is completely true. Any person with a mind can make a conscious decision to do whatever he wants, and then take action on that decision. If he doesn't make the decision and take action on it, no magic genie is going to grant him his fondest wish.

3. God loves us.

I think God enjoys us and might even love us the way you love your goldfish, but you aren't going to cut your goldfish a check or buy it a new car. When we get disabled or demented, God probably wouldn't think twice about flushing us down the toilet. I mean, we rationalize that as euthanasia, or mercy killing, which is supposed to be "love" also, right?

4. Sin is what causes bad things to happen to people.

That sounds like Old Testament hellfire and damnation, but that's not what Christians believe. Sure, bad decisions can cause bad things to happen to people; but, usually, things just happen to people, and we decide whether it's good or bad. Like, say, the town dogcatcher gets run over by a garbage truck — to the dogcatcher and his family, it's one of the worst days ever; but to hundreds of dog-owners in the area, it's a good thing and he probably deserved it. People are sick that way.

5. Suffering is beautiful! (We wouldn't do this to our dog because it's inhumane, but it's ok for grandma to suffer in ICU for weeks, undergoing multiple procedures and surgeries.)

Again, it's whatever you make of it. Sometimes Grandma goes into ICU, has her kneecaps removed, makes a full recovery, writes a bestseller about the experience. If Grandma had it all to do over again, she says she wouldn't change a thing. There you go — some people handle suffering differently than others.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamsnatcher
Just think how nice things would be, had Eve not eaten that apple.

Maybe she heard the saying "an apple a day keeps the doctor away"
After all, I'm sure they hated visiting the doctor just as much 6,000 years ago.

But seriously, that part of the Bible always bugged me...
Punishing everyone for the sins of our 'ancestors'...
It's kind of like when I was a kid at school and one screwup would tick off the teacher and she would take away everyone's play time...
How lame is that..

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Probably because there's no such thing as a interventionist God. I've yet to see any evidence that suggests otherwise.

An atheist was walking through the woods one day when suddebly an 8-foot grizzly bear began to charge towards him. He ran as fast as he could down the path. He looked over his shoulder and saw that the bear was rapidly closing on him. Somehow, he can't ran even faster, so scared that tears came to his eyes. His heart pounding in his chest, he tried to run faster yet. But alas, he tripped and fell to the ground. As he rolled over to pick himself up, the bear was right over him, reaching for him with its left paw and raising its right paw to strike him.

'OH MY GOD! ...' Time stopped.......... The bear froze ........... The forest was silent...........Even the river stopped moving ...

As a brilliant light shone upon the man, a thunderous voice came from all around, 'You Deny My Existence For All These Years, Teach Others That I Don't Exist; And Even Credit Creation To Some Cosmic Accident. Do You Expect Me To Help You Out Of This Predicament? Am I To Count You As A Believer???'

Difficult as it was, the atheist looked directly into the light and said, 'It would be hypocritical to ask to be a Christian after all these years, but perhaps you could make the bear a Christian?'

'Very Well.' said The Voice. The light went out....... The river ran....... The sounds of the forest resumed and the bear dropped down on his knees, brought both paws together, bowed his head and spoke:

'Lord, thank you for this food which I am about to receive.'

Faith doesn't do you any good either.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by kindred
Probably because there's no such thing as a interventionist God. I've yet to see any evidence that suggests otherwise.

And yet I've seen evidence that the Conscious Universe does spin little twists of fate that are inexplicable except as divine intervention. Just because you haven't seen it in your own life doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Maybe you'll never see it happen; yet it happens all the time.

Originally posted by kindred
Faith doesn't do you any good either.

No, belief doesn't do you any good, because belief is cheap and can change from one day to the next. Faith, on the other hand, is an indisputable knowing that things are the way they are — a person of Faith knows that there is something out there that can anticipate our follies and that can react to our actions and entreaties, and they see evidence of this every day, regardless of whether it manifests as comedy or tragedy. Doesn't matter. It's all good.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 3/22/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by saber13
I was told by my Catholic priest when I was younger that God will only give you as much as you can take, and I use to take comfort in that.

Ahhh yes, the old priest in the dark robes, I was told the same, but I proved him wrong. I also proved him wrong in something else too, but thats between me and God

Certain powers that be have intentionally warped, twisted, and even destroyed certain basic truths. It was done out of greed and a lust for power and control. I would argue the point that evil was only put here as a counter point to spiritual growth.

Has anyone ever thought about or even considered trying to look into that wonderful mind called God? It is a fantastic voyage of wonderments and possibilities. That Catholic priest told me that if I searched for God I would go insane. Well then, call me the mad hatter! Nothing has made more sense since I discovered the secret. And that is, who God really is, and more importantly, what he is not!

I can not fault those who feel they might find some relief in ending it all. We have no right to judge those who's path we have not followed. But have you considered that those things that caused that person to decide to do this, were not delivered by God? Look at the world in general, do you believe it is this way because of a Divine loving God?

It is true as a comparison that when a human being blows a fuse it was because too much was asked of him, or too much of a load was placed on him. But don't blame God in this day and age, look at who and what is applying the pressure! Blame them!!!

I too have been at the bottom wanting for only the pain to stop. My personal family history has a long list of quitters who bailed out when the going got tough. They fell one too many times and just couldn't get back up. Well, they lost sight of a inner strength we are all born with, but in this day and age with all the distractions that inner strength slips further and further away.

When you are at the bottom and have nothing left, nothing at all, you forget about that part of you that will never leave you. And all you have to do is reach for it, and ask. It will always be there whether you wish to accept it or not, it will always be there. You need help, ASK! It may not come as you expected, it may not come in the form you want. You will get what you NEED! If it be your choice.

We now return you to your previously scheduled program..........

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
God is meant to be in control of fate yet mankind is meant to have freewill. The things that human beings are capable of doing to eachother cannot be dismissed.. I cannot blame someone for wanting death because they could not live with with traumatic memories.

..and I certainly have no respect for clergy that condemn suicides yet protect people who inflict traumas on others.. guess what?

Trauma causes depression which can lead to suicide.

If the church had it's way that 9 year old girl would have been forced to carry the twins for her rapist step father and risk her life.. but if she couldn't emotionally handle that trauma and killed herself she would have been condemned to hell? How many pedo priests have caused suicides through abuse?

Oh thats right "judge not lest ye be judged" is not suppose to be applied to men of god... yet believers here are judging others for taking the path of suicide when they have not walked the same path themselves. Why would a god send someone to hell if all they were doing was trying to escape pain? Some can take it.. some can't and if people have to defend a god that sends victims of circumstance to hell they may want to rethink why they follow him at all.

btw. I'm talking about the more hardline, "vengeful god" fire and brimstone christianity.. I know there more passive demominations who don't have that attitude.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by riley]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Many things cause people to become mentally disturbed, and to beecome irrational.

The point is that when things seem to be going wrong, try to re-focus.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
This is a complex topic because there are many facets and circumstances that lead a person to suicide but the foundation and strategy is the same. Let me try to explain the essence.

Most of these "preachers" can't answer this because they are clueless. I have stumped a many of these "men of God" in my days. Unfortunately, because most of who we follow in churches are wicked or lost in their hearts they contribute to our destruction. The bible says that if a blind man follow a blind man they both fall into the pit. That is the truth.

Chemical imbalances are manipulated by both forces of light and forces of darkness. A "chemical imbalance" is nothing but a scientific way of explaining something that is and always has been divine. The spirit world has power over the physical world in all capacities. Mankind deals with these imbalances with medications. Elohim deals with these imbalances through divine power of Ruach ha Kodesh (holy spirit). Yahushua is the great physician and believe me, there is nothing that you can go through in your life that he can not help you through. All things he did in scripture was through spirit, no medications were involved. We cal these miracles. Unfortunately people rely on the knowledge and traditions of men to heal their ills and that is their undoing. Yahushua and the prophets spoke extensive on the topic. He said come unto me and I will give you rest. He also said that anyone the son sets free is free indeed. It is easy for man to put their faith in doctors, Oprah, Dr. Phil, Obama and everyone else but do not put their trust and faith in the creator of every thing that was, is and will be. And mankind fails and will fail us every single time.

Adonai does only give you what you can bear. People choose to die because they are deceived into thinking that they cannot endure. People, through disobedience and rejection of his Word bring things upon themselves and open doors for Satan and his demons to destroy our minds and then ultimately our bodies. The million dollar question is what has this person really done, not done or said that we are unaware of that allowed Satan to dominate his mind? Believe me, he/she did, did not or said something.

Elohim has always called us to be obedient above all things. Disobedience is not without consequence. I can guarantee you with absolute certainty that there is not one person who ever walked the earth in this day and age that has not been exposed to the Truth. There are bibles in every bookstore, churches on every corner and TV preachers on 24x7x365. The Internet is full of Truth and never sleeps. The people who committed suicide just simply rejected it and chose another path. In doing so sealed their fate. They were deceived into believing that Elohim was powerless over their circumstances and powerless to reverse the situation. Satan dominated their mind with hopelessness and despair to the point of them deciding to end it all.

But know this. I can tell you from experience, that if a person is really working to find the Truth and is working to do the right thing, then that person will begin to feel and experience the creator of the Universe. Yahushua died on the cross to save us all from eternal damnation and when he arose he had all power over spiritual death in his possession. All we have to do is trust and have faith in his words. We take one step to him and he takes two to us. If you never believe anything else in your short life on earth, believe that. The key is to seek him and we will definitely find him. He promised. If we do not, Satan will definitely find us and will destroy us in our sins without remorse. He promised that too.

The LYYHT will be shining soon for all who seek it. He who has an ear let him hear.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
reply to post by Faiol

I can ask you to read the Bible and learn about religion.

or

Watch the Passion of The Christ and learn about the suffering of Jesus.

Never ever watch the passion of christ,! What totally barbaric and tacky movie and a complete load of bollocks.

How any human being could sit in a theater and take great delight in the portrayal of another human being tortured for almost the whole of the movie is beyond me.

You have to be one sick bastard to call that a good film, if anyone wanted to know how cruel crucifixion was , then they only have to look in a few history books, you know, the ones where there's no mention of this jesus character.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by saber13

Obviously an Iraqi child screaming due to the effects of depleted uranium, is expected to endure far more than someone with dept problems or lost love.

Seems like this god is either a sicko lunatic or totally imaginary.

It would appear that, if not for the fear of death instilled by dogmatic religious beliefs that there would be far more suicides.

It seems very sad indeed that a person is forced to endure a very miserably or painful existence just because in the event of an afterlife, things could be much worse than they already are.

Nevertheless, people actually killing themselves is a sure sign that the gods of the bibles are imaginary.

On a positive note and to indulge a little wishful thinking, let's hope every person who's ever killed themselves are a lot happier now. Either back here again or somewhere else.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman
Never ever watch the passion of christ,! What totally barbaric and tacky movie and a complete load of bollocks.

How any human being could sit in a theater and take great delight in the portrayal of another human being tortured for almost the whole of the movie is beyond me.

True, that...
Reminds me of all the people who wear crosses...
I wonder if Jesus had been killed with a knife if people would have necklaces depicting knives?

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Well, if you know your Gospels, The Passion of the Christ is a fairly spot-on recounting of what happened. Damn authentic costuming and dialogue, too. However, those historians who are expert in Roman torture have pointed out that the beating scene was inaccurate — that the Romans would never have administered 40 lashes with those meat-hook flails, because any human being would have died of shock after as few a 5 lashes. So, I agree, Gibson went way overboard on that scene.

I can assure you, I sat in the theatre with perhaps 500 others and watched the entire thing in total silence. Nobody took "great delight" in the torture and crucifixion. But it is what it is — the Passion is supposed to be about one man taking on the burden of all Mankind's sin for all time, and that necessarily entails a very graphic depiction of Man's inhumanity to Man.

You have to be one sick bastard to call that a good film, if anyone wanted to know how cruel crucifixion was , then they only have to look in a few history books, you know, the ones where there's no mention of this jesus character.

Again, it's not about the morbid details of Roman torture and crucifixion. Humanity has a long and dark history of especially fiendish methods of torturing each other. Who wants to see any of that, if you don't have to? In the case of the Passion, the story is about a fellow (that "Jesus character" that you don't want to mention) who knowingly walked into the ordeal, and yet forgave the people who murdered him with his dying breath.

When the movie ended, this entire audience of 500 or so just sat there, stone silent. No laughing, no chatter, no nothing. It obviously had affected everyone in the same way, and there was no "delight" on their faces.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
This is the easiest question to answer in the world.

Its simple god doesn't exist.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by saber13

Well, look at Job. I feel that many people would have taken their lives if they had to put up with as much as this guy did.
Some people give themselves grief, it is not a thing that is handed down by God Like in the story of Job. Suicide in the Catholic Faith is punished by Purgatory, isn't it? Is there a measure of forgiveness in church dogma for this?

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by saber13

Because this god (or any other god) doesn't really give a crap about us. They tried to drown us in the Flood, remember? Along with every other living creature on the planet.
Oh, yes, the Noah's ark, how kind of them. If you read the Sumerian tablets of creation, Enlil, the chief god, swore all the gods not to tell the humans of the upcoming flood and one of the other gods Enki had to go around some fence and tell Utnapishtum (Noah) to build a boat. When Enki was questioned about it he said that he was talking to a reed fence about how to build a boat and had no idea that a human was behind the fence.

And Enki did it because when the flood subsided they wouldn't have to create servants all over again. Enlil, who was enraged that Enki went behind his back and saved Noah with some animals finally saw the wisdom of Enki's decision and conceded. The writers of the bible morphed the two gods Enlil and Enki into the the one, the only, the true and so on god Yahweh, who seems strangely schizophrenic on a lot of issues, but that's because in the original Sumerian story of Noah there were two separate gods who were rivals and often at odds.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by tungus]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join