It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamas Planting Veggie Garden at White House

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Obamas Planting Veggie Garden at White House

www.newser.com

The Obamas are planting a vegetable garden at the White House, the Washington Post reports. And not just any garden—it will have 55 different vegetables, including the one that vexed candidate Obama: arugula. Michelle will break ground tomorrow with local students, and chefs will use its bounty to feed the first family and visiting dignitaries. The president, she told the New York Times, will be enlisted to pull weeds.

The vegetable garden is the first since Eleanor Roosevelt's victory garden in World War II, and the fist lady says she hopes it will help teach the value of healthful eating. "My hope is that through children, they will begin to educate their families and that will, in turn, begin to educate our communities,” she said. The 1,100-square-foot garden will be visible from the street, near the girls' swing set.
Sources: Washington Post, New York Times
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
So what do the Obamas know that we don't. Or maybe we know.
Seems fishy to me. Will there be trouble down the road with food supplies? Is it part of the NWO? Or 2012 that they know about?
Or am I just too paranoid? So those were my thoughts when I first read the article. Then I thought well it would be nice if all people had the ability/land/supplies to take on such a project. I remember a time when we had community gardens. Haven't seen them around lately. Maybe we should all start too.

www.newser.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
A lot of people are planting gardens in wake of food prices growing up. Maybe they are trying to subtly tell us something.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I wonder if he is using seeds from Monsanto. Good old goat/bell pepper and some spider/tomato chimera will make some good pasta sauce.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by HeluvaStorm

Whoa, man. Well, let me ask you. What do you think? First impression wise. Is it just so that they can have a garden, or is it something else?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by daeoeste
spider/tomato chimera will make some good pasta sauce.

Is that what gives it that extra silky texture.

To be honest, I think you might just be a little too paranoid on this one... remember, Obama is supposed to be the "Green" Movement president, so of course he's going to plant a garden at the White House.

link   
reply to post by daeoeste

I've always wanted to try dolphinnamon....haven't you always wanted to your french toast to have just a smidge of that fresh ocean taste???

[edit on 19-3-2009 by mpriebe81]

link   

Originally posted by daeoeste
I wonder if he is using seeds from Monsanto. Good old goat/bell pepper and some spider/tomato chimera will make some good pasta sauce.
I was thinking the exact same thing, there wont be any termianator seeds or GM seeds in this lot.
Have to feed the visiting dignitries nothing but real food while the rest of us have to eat GM

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Undoubtedly an implementation of the National Services act passed just this week. Yeah, right...a lesson for the girls in community service in action....
"See, Honey, that's how it is supposed to be done. Now, run along.These people have work to do."

link   
So no one has mentioned the new law that might make backyard gardens illegal? Where does this fit in?

link   
reply to post by pyrytyes

That's a joke right? The guy can't have a garden?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Diplomat

I was actually thinking the same thing when I first read this.

Should be interesting how this plays out if that crap law actually goes through.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
They vary well might be planting the garden as a family activity. They did install some playground equipment.

I hardly find a house garden as an alternative for store bought food. Most of the time a house garden is a hobby of some sort. In order to feed a family a garden must be massive. There are only certain times of the year you can grow crops.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish M1ck

Sure he can have a garden. Why not? I have one.
It is not an entitlement thing.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I wonder if the Obamas had a vegetable garden at their house in Chicago? That aside, it's a good PR move for a "green" president. I wonder if they will avoid planting watermelon, after some government official in California sent email pic of the White House surrounded by watermelons. We have a garden ourselves, but this is nothing new since I came from a long line of farmers. But we are expanding it this year, what with 4 more mouths to feed in our home.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
That's interesting, finally the rare time I get to say I approve of what they're doing. Although it is interesting that they are promoting planting gardens especially at this point in time. They might be telling us something, and if not well gardens never hurt anything. My guess is it's just fitting into the whole green thing they've got going on. Of course since they're in DC they plant a heck of a garden since they have the land, climate, and the water, unlike a lot more of the country.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish M1ck

My first impression was that they know something we don't and are making sure fresh food is available for them. I am interested to see if a greenhouse will be built.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
What happened to "Grow your own food, we take your house" thread I read a while back.
Werent they going to punish people for this type of thing?
Or was it just aimed at farms and distributers?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   

ya just a little bit paranoid buddy

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Diplomat

Or maybe another brain fart.

He overturned Bush's ban on stem cell research, yet signed the stimulus bill which included a provision to ban funding.

Go figure...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join