It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find new bacteria species in Earths upper stratosphere

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
From edition.cnn.com... : "Indian scientists have discovered three new species of bacteria in Earth's upper stratosphere that are resistant to ultraviolet radiation, researchers said."

That makes me wonder if there are other larger species in the stratosphere, in the very close proximity to space.

What do you think?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by urdead

Not only does it make me question the possibility of more complex organisms in the upper atmosphere, but it also makes me question the possibility of life developing in the atmospehers of gas giants like jupiter. Right now my mind is swimming with images of jellyfish-like organisms swimming through the thick atmospeheres of saturn and jupiter.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Also i wonder if this could help in explaining the red rainfall that occured in India a while back. Just a thought but it could of been why they where up there looking in the first place.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

You might be on to something there. I think that the red or orange coloring is a defense against strong UV. Could have been algae or bacteria coloring the rain.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Wow this really is something!! Makes you wonder what other complex forms could have developed in what we see as extreme conditions. It certainly shortens the odds for life out there in space as some having been saying for years now, its reality!

There are life forms that exist on earth too like those found underground that were seperated from our atmosphere and exist with no sunlight or oxygen. Combine these factors and the possibilities are endless, all they need is time and space has a lot of that.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join