It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Working For The Government/Intelligence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Hey guys i just signed up to ATS recently although i have been reading them for some time so be nice

I'm really interested in finding out how one gets to work for the government or in some form of intelligence work, i was hoping that some people who have a position in a related field could post about what they do and how they got the job. Of course i respect that some people may not be able to post because of confidential reasons but im very interested in going into this line of work and would love to hear about other peoples experiences. Thanks guys.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 06:07 AM
link   
It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to be a spy, you would have to be fluent in another language, be the right ethnicity ect. If you want to work with weapons and what not then you need technical training in mechanics and whatnot.

I can tell you that my uncle worked for the CIA - not too sure what he did for them - but he was a pilot in the navy, went to Top Gun school, but left because his wife worried about him.

Probably the most important things you can do are have a clean record, have a very good financial history, and get good grades.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 06:18 AM
link   
i was reading through some of the requirements to apply for a position at ASIO (Australian Security Intelligence Organisation)

My skills fitted the criteria required for selection and the work sounded interesting. I'm in my final year at school and have always felt i want to do something interesting with my life and have no problem working hard to achieve my goals.

Quote: What you'll do as a GIO
The two main investigative roles you will undertake involve the collection and analysis of information. A GIO in ASIO will spend his/her career alternating between Collection, Analysis, and possibly other roles.

GIO roles require skills in planning, communication, liaison, research, critical thinking, assessment, cross-cultural awareness and a flair for report writing.

In Collection your daily duties may involve:

Speaking with a variety of people, including members of the public who are volunteering information, as well as approaching people to help with our investigations.
The use of covert methods to obtain information, such as the recruitment and management of human sources.
In Analysis your daily duties may involve:

The evaluation and analysis of information.
Providing verbal and written briefings concerning assessments and recommendations you make.
GIOs also work in other areas of the Organisation, including:

Human Resources
Training
Information Technology
Recruiting
And many other areas!!!!

--
Im just interested in getting some feedback from people in a similiar line of work. Thankyou for the reply.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I assume you are in Australia, then? I don�t know much about their intelligence community, but in the US the CIA and NSA are both requiring college degrees with a decent GPA. The most important things you can do are keep a clean record and get good grades. You should probably also be cautious of the type of people that you associate with, as they can end up haunting you in the long run.

I imagine that there a probably a lot of jobs in the intelligence community, but there are probably only a few interesting ones. It all depends on what you want to do.

CIA employment page:
www.cia.gov...

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Get into a Military Intelligence unit in the Army, or whatever branch suits you.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
CIA requires a good academic and personal record. Generally a degree is required, though some positions don't require them (Security Protection Officer, etc). Certain positions, such as Clandestine Services (foreign service) require language training and other special requirements.

If you meet those requirements, send them a resum�.

new topics

top topics

join