It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could religion just be a security?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Ive been thinking lately, lets say you are catholic. You believe in catholic ways, and believe that every other religious belief is wrong. This goes the same for any religion. You believe in your own religion, and everyone else is wrong. Well everyone cant be right, only one can be right. That means that there is dozens upon dozens of religions out there that are wrong. How can you tell who is right, if anyone is right at all?

I am also thinking that religion in general is bull5h!7. could gods be fictional charectures created by man, so that people could feel secure. So that people have something to fall back on, someone to look up to, someone to rely upon. Could religion be just a fairytale to make kids behave, or create order in people in general?

Post your thoughts on this subject, I would very much enjoy reading your replies. I also think that this topic serves as a good "healthy arguement" subject. Later.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
would you rather have a barbaric society without moral structure?

religion already confirms whats in my heart. nobody tells me killing is wrong,
yet i already knew this in my heart, same goes with adultury, infact i grew up being fed
to believe its a good thing, and i still knew it wasnt in my soul.

could it be that a divine being created our amazing bodies, and gave us the commands for a perfect planet?

this theory is always impossible, even though god through nature, miracles, our bodies and their complexity has made himself
know.

peace

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
How many times has this discussion been raised? Seriously, comeo n, the validity of religion as a whole has been talked about so much in ATS do we really need to go into it again?

...OF COURSE WE DO! But I'll respond in another reply- I have tochange computers.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Only the extremists of each religion believe that the others are wrong. I was raised a Catholic (but I am not a member of any church today) and I was never taught to condemn others for their beliefs. The subject of religion should not be one of right or wrong, but rather one of sharing enlightenment. I find it hard to comprehend that God created all the peoples of the world, but only chose to give one group the right way to worship. In fact, I do not believe that God wants us to worship at all (but that's a different subject). In fact the only thing that really makes sense is that all belief in God is right in some respect. That God has helped each culture to develope the ideas that it needs to move forward.

As for an issue of security? Of course. Religion is all about security. Man created religion, not God.

"Religion is the opiate of the people." - Carl Marx

[Edited on 18-4-2004 by Mr No One]

top topics

join