It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Curious Case of Genetic Resurrection

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   

A Curious Case of Genetic Resurrection

sciencenow.sciencemag.org

Some genes just won't stay dead. Between 40 million and 50 million years ago, a slice of DNA called IRGM stopped functioning in the ancestors of modern-day monkeys. But 25 million years later, in the lineage that led to humans and great apes, three random events turned the gene back on.

In mammals such as rats and dogs, IRGM (immunity-related GTPase family, M) helps protect from bacterial pathogens such as salmonella. Humans and apes also appear to use the gene.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
While I am not exactly a gene freak, a few things stand out in this article A virus was responsible for resurrecting a gene that was dead. There could be genes that are dead in the humans, that become active millions of years later and give us capabilities not imagined today.

One interesting thought that crosses my mind here is that the inside of the genes is like a computer program. Genetics has made considerable strides in the last few decades, I wonder if we will be able to completely program a gene to do what we want it to do?

sciencenow.sciencemag.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

I just bet someone is going to bring up the Autism thing arnt they? Oh wait I just did.

Seriously, makes you wonder what genes we are turning on when we get vaccines...

join