It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama 'too tired' to give proper welcome to Gordon Brown

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I'm quite glad Brown got such a lukewarm reception.

British PM's since Thatcher have been treated way too warmly by the White House. PM's are only heads of government, they ain't the real deal. Save the diplomatic protocol for when the Queen comes to visit, she's head of state of the UK, Canada, Australia etc etc & if anyone she's the one deserving of the red carpet treatment.

Brown ? He might well be trying to fix this economic mess. But as Chancellor of the Exchequer for the previous 10 years (British finance minister/Treasury Secretary) he's been responsible for the lax accounting & regulation which got us to this position in the first place.

Maybe Obama recognises that, hence the tardy reception.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I think it's hilarious that the same people who defended every stupid embarrassing thing Bush ever did are waiting like rabid dogs to jump on anything Obama does that might be fair game. The fact that they WANT him to fail tells me they care more about their politics than their country.
Grow up.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by staver

One doesn't have to be pro-Bush in order to be anti-Obama. Granted, Obama has done a couple of things right since his inauguration, but, he has also done lots wrong (in my opinion). Here's where you say I'm being a sore loser, right? To be honest, I'm not sure McCain could have done any better with this mess we're in, but that doesn't mean I have to worship Obama. I'm an American, I'm entitled to criticize my publicly elected officials as I see fit.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

They point out that the president has agreed to meet the prime minister for further one-to-one talks in London later this month, ahead of the G20 summit on April 2.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Hilarious if Brown meets Obama in McDonalds and takes him to the local cinema
as payback.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by staver

Even as a supporter of President Obama you have to admit giving the man DVD's was very low class.

Did you read the article? Did you see what President Obamas gift was? It would be like me giving you an old sock and you giving me a million dollars.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Yes as promised he is certainly seeing to America's tattered image!

Now is it a good thing he is blowing off our supposed best allies or have past administrations just really been keeping our friends close but our enemies closer?

Hey that sure would shed some light on Israel! I hope the rest of the London Bankster crowd gets their noses rubbed in it too when they come to call.

This restores my faith in humanity. I like to think everyone has a redeeming quality, this is the first one I have spotted in the new Prez.

What-do-you-know?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Bear in mind I say this as an Anglophile, and in no way trying to be rude, but I don't care.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by staver
reply to post by jd140

Bear in mind I say this as an Anglophile, and in no way trying to be rude, but I don't care.

I see now why you wouldn't.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Of course here is a fairly disturbing thought. What the heck was really on the DVDs?

Could say for instance he just handed off what could be the equivalent of volumes and volumes of what would constitute and how the New World Order would be laid out?

We really don’t know what’s on the DVDs, just how they appear to be packaged.

The screening in London could be far more blockbuster than anyone of us might imagine.

It is after all a conspiracy site! I am going to still have to operate on suspended judgment as to whether the new Prez has a redeeming quality or not.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
This topic is not just about his handling of Brown. I think the more disturbing news is that the president is in such a state that he might not be making the best decisions. If he's so tired as this article intimates, then what mistakes may he make? In order to run a country, you MUST have executive skills that lessen the outrageous demands on you personally. He can't even fill the vacancies in the Treasury Department. The Treasury currently has no nomination for 2nd in command, what happens if something happens to Geithner? Or, most disturbingly, what happens if this happens:

(click to open player in new window)

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
And this is how the world sees our new president. Not able to handle all the duties of his job. Yes, I know, you'll say he's only been in office 50 days (not sure of the real number), but seriously, the least he could do is fake it. It IS a major part of his J.O.B. And as far as the Wal-Mart DVD set gift, I do think we could do a little better than that.

[edit on 7/3/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

No, the world now sees an American president who is devoted to fixing his own country first, like it is supposed to be!

Only sad thing is that this is too obvious a "set-up" to get some goodwill from the american citizens.
[edit on 9/3/09 by TheNetherlands]

[edit on 9/3/09 by TheNetherlands]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
More of that "Change" I guess

The guy is a rookie, making rookie mistakes, pissing off the world and flushing the country down the drain. Change and hope my friends, change and hope!

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
it's no surprise that Obama wasn't interested in sharing pleasantries with Gordon Brown. You have to remember that Brown Isn't our elected leader, he just happened to take over when poodle Blair resigned. You also have to remember that Brown is a dead man walking prime minister. Next year there will be a general election and as far as the polls are concerned, Labour led by Gordon Brown hasn't got a cat in hell's chance of winning.
And just to put the topping on the cake, remember that a future Tory prime minister would not agree to President Obama's request for more British troops to be sent to Afghanistan. In fact, the reverse would happen and our troops would start to withdraw from that hell-hole.
In the coming years I can see the whole special relationship cooling a lot which may not be a bad thing for either country.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140
[more

Apologies. Came in after a 10 hour day on the 7th of a 7 day stretch.
After reading the article, yeah, that was bad, and a political faux pas (sp)?

How much of his staff are "furniture" and how much did Obama bring with him? It could be inexperience, and it could be political sabotage, but I rather doubt the latter. BTW, you are aware an Anglophile is someone who LIKES British culture, right?

On the flip side of this obvious lack of savvy, some might find it refreshing that he's not concerned about coddling the elite. That's a fine line, and hopefully, he'll get better at it.

I'm in no way such a supporter that I can't see his faults, I'm just not
going to scrutinize every detail of the presidency looking for faults.
I'm too tired.

Anyway, again apologies if I came off flippant. I deal with people every
day who are just looking for a reason to complain, and so I may be
oversensitized.

[edit on 9-3-2009 by staver]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by staver

No problem.

As I said before, I understand he is a very busy man and doesn't always have time for proper meet and greets with foreign dignitaries. The only thing I see that he did wrong here was to give DVDs to the man. I'm sorry but I can't get past how low class that was.

I will admit, I had to look it up.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
You are all wrong on this one! I have read every thread. I cannot believe no one else caught this.

TOO MUCH BASKETBALL! I think he tried to beat Jordan in a game of 1 on 1!

Do you now see how thinking outside the box can give you pure clarity of a situation?

Your's truly,

Eye of Eagle

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Why does our president have to bend over backwards for this guy? This all boils down to the fact that even in an economic crisis- people expect to be treated like kings. Why did we owe that man a spectacular party? Is he solving our crisis? No...

If our president is tired from dealing with all of our troubles, why are we going to be mad at him?

A dvd-set is better than nothing at all. Obama wants to cut down to the chase and get to business. The prime minster wants to be overly-formal. Give me a break.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
This topic is not just about his handling of Brown. I think the more disturbing news is that the president is in such a state that he might not be making the best decisions. If he's so tired as this article intimates, then what mistakes may he make? In order to run a country, you MUST have executive skills that lessen the outrageous demands on you personally. He can't even fill the vacancies in the Treasury Department. The Treasury currently has no nomination for 2nd in command, what happens if something happens to Geithner? Or, most disturbingly, what happens if this happens:

(click to open player in new window)

[edit on 10/3/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
British media 'aghast' at Obama's gift

An Apology to Gordon Brown
Americans are invited to send their apologies - HERE

Or to here -

The Rt Hon Gordon Brown MP
Downing Street 10
London SW1A 2AA
United Kingdom

I can't stand Brown .. but Obama really screwed this up.

[edit on 3/10/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
British media 'aghast' at Obama's gift

An Apology to Gordon Brown
Americans are invited to send their apologies - HERE

Or to here -

The Rt Hon Gordon Brown MP
Downing Street 10
London SW1A 2AA
United Kingdom

I can't stand Brown .. but Obama really screwed this up.

[edit on 3/10/2009 by FlyersFan]

Your right, Obama has screwed up big style. Seems to me Americans used to apologise about Bush' screw ups and now they are being asked to do the same with Obama's screw ups!
I eagerly await what will happen the next time America is attacked by terrorists and turns to the UK for help. Perhaps Brown should just send across a couple of war movies on DVD and tell him to get on with it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join