It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The credit crunch tent city which has returned to haunt America

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
This thread is interesting in the way it showcases perfectly how the media manipulates the information to follow whatever agendas it's editors might have given to them through whatever secret society or college fraterinity brotherhood they happen to prostrate themselves to.

On the daily mail link, if you look closely there is 3 actual contemporary photos showing tents, and they are all different angles of the same campment. I counted around 25 tents. Now, while this indeed shows a group of homeless people and a social problem, it also shows that perhaps the problem is not, yet, as bad as they want to make people believe.

I think the media are trying to instill fear into the population and provoke something like a bank run or a riot scenario, to clamp down with security state provisions up to and including martial law. So they push these stories with more than just a hint of sensationalism and exageration.

These days I would not be surprised to see a story like this be completely fabricated with people hired as extras. I've caught the news totally falsefying news before...

Memetic manipulation imo, although I don't pretend to ignore that the actual situation of people in tents probably does exist, just doubt it's extent at the present time.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

I'm an attorney, but don't practice. I'd just be disbarred immediately anyway. Let's see. Here's one: If we ever grant amnesty to the huge population of illegal aliens in this country, why don't we force their respective countries to grant dual citizenship to an equal number of Americans. They could be chosen by lottery.

This vested right could be retained or sold at auction.

For right now, how about bringing back the right to homestead land.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
As times become more difficult for people everywhere, the "tent city" is becoming more of a harsh reality to those less fortunate. I live here in the Pacific Northwest, not far from Seattle. As many know, Seattle is a magnet for those less fortunate and the city parks are frequented by the homeless, Pioneer Square being one of the most popular. The Seattle area has it's own revolving tent city known locally as "Nickelsville" where people live for a few months before being moved to a new location. Most have pink tents that were donated to them by the girl scouts a while back. Nickelsville is not the only location for the homeless in this area. We have large expanses of wilderness not far from the city where people have set up shanty towns. This, too, is a Seattle tradition. During the Great Depression, a huge shanty town existed in the southern part of the city known locally as SODO. This image shows the old shanty town where the new Seahawks and Mariners Stadiums now stand. The Smith Tower can be seen in the background.

As for the Sacramento tent cities, I found this report, from Oprah no less, and it goes into some of the details regarding that location. I am confident that there are sites like this throughout California.

Considering the state of affairs, we're all facing difficult times. If one was already facing difficult times before this economic collapse, they are likely finding themselves in a genuine bind. I go down and help in the food banks and shelters when I can and I've noticed that they are always packed. I've also noticed that donations to food banks are decreasing substantially as money gets tight for everyone.

All I can say is good luck everyone.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

American "news" isn't reporting it because it doesn't have the entertainment star power that American's want to know about when we speak of "news".

Now, if Octo-mom were living in the tent city and Brangelina went their to adopt one of her 1st/3rd world babies, that would make the "news."

**In what I wrote, all instances of "news" are in quotes because - let's be honest - that's what it's called, independent of whether or not that is what it actually is.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I know things are bad but I sort of wonder if there is a lack of creativity with some of these people. The article mentioned that there was a women with a 35 year old son who doesn't know about her situation. Uh, why don't you tell him and move in with him for a bit? Any loving son or daughter would let a parent stay with them for a bit. I think most people would be horrified to learn of a parent living like that. In tough times, that is what you have to do.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

I agree that people ought to remain in touch with their family, especially in times of crisis. Unfortunately, as most of here know first hand, our families aren't what they used to be. During the first Great Depression, most families lived in close proximity to one another. These days it's common to have immediate family living in several different States, even bicoastally.

I'm not saying that this is the case with the people in these camps, but it is likely that they aren't even in the same area as their relatives. If this depression brings families back together again, I would see that as a silver lining to this dark gray thunderhead above us all.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
These tent cities, and homeless people have always existed in America. This article is spinning this to suggest that this is something new here. It's not.

There were tent camps and shanty camps here way before any of this economic stuff happened. They'll still be there when things get good again.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

Agreed. These little tent camps have been around for years. They're in all of the cities, or just outside of cities. There have always been homeless people and probably always will be.

They're obviously trying to sensationalize things. Although it is true there are these little camps, they spin it to suit their agenda, to sell papers.

Lets get real here. Unemployment is at about the same level it was in 1983 here in the US. It's not as bad (yet) as they are making it out to be.

What's going on in the UK? Any homeless people there?

[edit on 6-3-2009 by Electro38]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Most large towns and cities have disused buildings, warehouses etc that have some kind of plumbing, sanitation and a water supply. At least these would provide shelter from the weather.

The government should make some kind of provision for homeless people - possibly even take over empty buildings for this purpose. Even if these camps were out in the open on specially allocated land, it wouldn't cost much for local authorities to install a fresh water supply and drainage.

If insurance is a problem, then that problem should be sorted out by some overpaid government lawyer.

These people are human beings for Christ's sake - Most people treat their dogs better than these poor families. How on Earth can we call ourselves 'civilised' when we treat our own citizens like this, just because they've finally run out of luck.

Maybe that's what all these new FEMA Camps are for?

[edit on 6/3/09 by Myrdyn]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myrdyn
Most large towns and cities have disused buildings, warehouses etc that have some kind of plumbing, sanitation and a water supply. At least these would provide shelter from the weather.

I agree with that. I know of several buildings in the area that could be used for just this sort of thing. One happens to be an old abandoned school. Sure, there'd need to be some serious work done to it, but putting the occupants to work on the very structure they are going to be sleeping in can't be a bad thing, can it?

The government should make some kind of provision for homeless people - possibly even take over empty buildings for this purpose. Even if these camps were out in the open on specially allocated land, it wouldn't cost much for local authorities to install a fresh water supply and drainage.

It seems to me that this could be done relatively inexpensively, but it depends on the ingenuity of the people involved. While it may require local government to provide a hand, it could be done (at least here in our rainy climate) without the assistance of the local government. I see a lot of people living in these conditions around here, but we have most of them staying in church parking lots, or fields next to churches. They use the churches for facilities.

If insurance is a problem, then that problem should be sorted out by some overpaid government lawyer.

Seems to me that the easy answer would be to simply have a disclaimer. Anyone in this area enters of their own free will and accepts that they are responsible for their own well being and hereby waves the right to sue for anything related to this premises. If something like that were at each entrance, then they may not have to deal with the whole legality thing. Just a thought.

These people are human beings for Christ's sake - Most people treat their dogs better than these poor families. How on Earth can we call ourselves 'civilised' when we treat our own citizens like this, just because they've finally run out of luck.

Maybe that's what all these new FEMA Camps are for?

You may be right. Like I said, I know of several buildings in my area that could be used for this purpose. Sure beats letting it rot away.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Electro38

Electro38

Impossible to get the current figures.. but believe it or not, a reasonable extrapolation of available data gives us the following:

US Homeless = 0.3% (Based on US figures published in 2007).

UK Homeless = 0.7% (Based on a 2004 rising figure of 380,000 from 'CRISIS' with a projection of 1 million in the UK by 2020).

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I see a common thread that goes on in alot of posts here. I see concerned and caring people keep saying, "They need to do something about that".
For some reason, when we see things we don't agree with, like homelessness, we want to see the 'government' or local politicians step in and solve the problem. THAT is not their job!
The politicians in this country, or any country, do not go to bed at night with YOU or YOUR wellbeing on their mind. They don't care that there are 8000 folks living in the woods right outside Tampa and Orlando. You can see a video at www.uaff.us that will show you some of these people.
The other thing I find amazing is how callous some people are to these folks plight. How many folks here at ATS have ever gone 2 weeks without a shower or had to sleep in something other than a comfy bed in their life?
I'm not bashing any young folks, or anyone for that matter, but before you comment on how this is propaganda and such, spend one night downtown in YOUR city and wander the streets all night. Go hang out with some of the "transients" you run into and you will find that they are everyday people like yourself that hit a rough patch and it didn't end. Yeah, Yeah, I know, there are some drunks and dopers down there but some of them used to have jobs and families and responsibility..and something went wrong and they couldn't overcome the obstacles that were put in front of them.
I had a pretty rough spot one time and I was denied access into a church in Louisville, Kent. cause I looked like a tramp. It was only cause I had run out of money and had too much pride to call friends or family that I was in that position. I had to sleep in a junk car all night in the freezing weather and a stray dog showed up and curled up on my feet and kept them warm for the night. I will never forgive the guy at a "church" of all places for not letting me in that night.
I now own a home and have all the stuff and am considered a real fine upstanding guy....but we all have bad patches.
Get out from behind your computer screen and go down to the local asian market and buy some fresh fruit and go give $50.00 to a bunch of "down on their luck" folks. You will be seen as a saviour to them and you might just make some friends.
Just cause a guy, or woman, hasn't shaved, changed clothes or showered in a month, doesn't mean they are a bad person, it just means that their lifestyle doesn't permit it the way YOUR structured lifestyle does.
As far as the media, if you will turn of your tv, stop reading the newspaper, and never listen to the radio again, you will learn a great deal and you might just begin to have some compassion for your fellow man.
If any of you 'keyboard cowboys' bash me, you have proved my point.

rusty

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The ferocity with which journalism are selling the crisis on our national television networks and newspapers here in Portugal is extreme. It's almost like they are scared it won't come if they don't constantly yap about it...

...which in part is true. This is an engineered crisis being bogged down in the information age, as people, who now have the ability to do so double check sources and correct their behaviour accordingly. So we have society tipped at the edge waiting for the general population, like lemmings, to throw themselves off. But not many are doing so yet, which to me suggests the whole process is stalled as people, like me, are reading up and trying to see whats going on. The lies are becoming transparent, as are the manipulations.

There will always be a small number of homeless. Some people actually like it that way, in India people sometimes decide to live their life in permanent peregrination, as attachment to materialism is considered bad for spiritual development. I suspect they are right in doing so. In the west we have many psychologically sick people who are not capable of performing in our economic system and fall through the cracks. This is not a sign of crisis, it's normal sistemic entropy. It's a natural consequence of urbanism. The OP article shows a situation which more readily lends itself to this category than to being an example of a massive financial crash and burgeoning depression.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Myrdyn

Very interesting, thanks for those figures.
It seems a little strange that this UK paper will be reporting on the US when their homeless problem is bigger (or more accurately might be bigger, or around the same level).

In any case what purpose does that serve?

[edit on 6-3-2009 by Electro38]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...
Yep, another one of these!
Wise words spoken from a true patriot.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The American population is doing this.....

www.thecrowhouse.com...

seems appropriate....

rusty

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
You know what the real problem is,

DRUGS AND ALCOHOL
and a lack of public mental health facilities.

for every person on the streets because of a finacial situation there are 20 drunks and addicts and ten people who really need mental health care.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Drugs and alcohol are products of financial turmoil. I know guys that used to live in 2.5 million dollar homes with 30k persian rugs and Ming dynasty 'pots' in their home that are living in apartments now.
It the trickle down effect. You grow up in poverty and become a sports star and have unlimited income and start buying the 'finer things in life' and next thing you know, you are living under a bridge, How does a Mike Tyson, OJ, Michael Jackson, Vanilla Ice go thru THAT much money? And what was that guys name that use to do the weird dance and song, "Cain't touch Dat"? I saw him doing a commercial for cash4gold.com....
WOW!!! Imagine if he haad gone and
It's called irresponsibility and it ain't no disease. It's called stupid.
There are some folks under bridges right now that had the home in the burbs, had the 2.5 children and all the perks and stuff just happened. Of course you are going to turn to drugs or alcohol to change your mind set.
Most people here do the same thing and don't even realize it. Do you go home after your job and sit in front of the tv and eat a bunch just to get your mind off the day?

SAme thing ....different product....different delivery system...."Oh, I have a headache"...take some aspirin...take some coke...drink some coke...have an organic orange or an orgasm...it doesn't matter...you are still trying to change your present moment feeling.
What if you do an 8ball of coke and have an out of body experience that makes you change your life around and become a responsible citizen and the mayor of your town or president of the country?
Stranger things have happened.....half the homeless will probably be senators in 5 years.....

rusty

rusty

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cauch1
reply to post by LostNemesis

Wouldn't surprise me too much if there were tent cities its not more than a step down from trailer parks.

I live in a "trailer park" and its a pretty nice one. Plus my home is paid for. Cauch1, you weren't one of those people who overpaid for a track home were you? A lot of those people are now moving into "tent cities" as they cannot afford their expensive homes. Live within your means people and stop spending more than what you make. Maybe once I have my school loans paid off I'll upgrade to one of them fancy track homes.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainCaveMan
Why don't they just give people some land?

By all means, give me some land. To hell with earning it or paying for it like everyone else. Just give me, give me, give me.

I personally want a free house on a few acres of free land with good soil and a water supply. I'd like a waterfront property on a nice lake with a million dollar view. I want free energy. I want free Internet. I want free clothes. I want a free Car. I want a free 60 inch Plasma with free HD Cable. I want credit cards that I don't ever have to pay back. I want free first class seats on all the airlines so I can see the world. I don't want to do anything thing for any of it, least of all get educated and get a job or save money.

<< 1    3 >>

join