It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girls in Swat 'can attend school but must be have faces covered'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Girls in Swat 'can attend school but must be have faces covered'

www.dailystar.com.lb

MINGORA, Pakistan: Girls in Pakistan's Swat Valley can attend school but must wear veils that cover their heads and faces, a top official said Monday after the government pledged to impose a version of Islamic law in the area during much-criticized peace talks with Taliban fighters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Here is a look at part of the situation in the Swat region of Pakistan.
The Swat region is the part of Pakistan where the government gave up control over to Talibani fighters. Much of the region is likely going to become a region for the Taliban to work out of which further complicates the War in Afghanistan.
This does bring about questions as to whether or not if the Taliban are beginning to open up to more Westernized ideas, or if this just more manipulative rhetoric being imposed before they pull the plug.

Related item:
en.wikipedia.org...

www.dailystar.com.lb
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Also, some more information on the Taliban:

The Taliban

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This is not me being sarcastic or dense on purpuse, it's something i am actually wondering. How are they being open to more western ideas if they still expectheir women to have their faces covered?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I was referring to the more Western ideas being education allowed for females. As of course per the history of the Taliban in Afghanistan did not allow for this to happen before NATO and the US invaded and ousted them from dominant power.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Just like in our society, the way "in" to these cultures to make them less heinous (and yes, they are) is to first standardize their current variety of sharia. Then begin to erode it.

Our cultures used to be quite similiar. The Magna Carta is the basis on which all these modern ideals started, and it is more than 700 years old.

These men would quite literally rather kill every woman in their vicinity than stop being this way. Then steal other women to see if they can instead make them obey.

I hate what they want. But to an extent, a defined set of sharia is going to have to be used to woo them. By educating the girls, you have a FAR greater chance at those women being able to educate their children more, and their sons and daughters being more educated and better prepared for being better human beings.

(and yes. cultures and men and women who don't beat and kill their women and children, and value others are better. I don't care if someone thinks that isn't nice.)

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
If that's the case, why have they been destroying girls schools?

I don't think that I'd want to raise my family in the swat valley now that the Taliban is in charge.

Their interpretation of Islam is very harsh.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

i can see us going to war with pakistan to get the taliban, but if we attack any more countries in the middle east i think we will be fighting more than just pakistan and/or iran there is evidence to show any further invasions would lead to other nations in the area openly fighting the US and the UK. As for evidence i will try get it up later as i cant remember what website it was and im just rather busy right now with collage work.

top topics

join