It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctic glaciers melting faster than thought

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
how many threads of the alledgedly melting Antarctic do we need?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

too bad that ice coverage satellites just 'happen' to either crash or read bogus data, too bad that for all i know, the pack ice season is steadiy increasing on the South pole, too bad that it apears like a transparent charade to me.

simply put, if it's far away, lying comes easy. this applies to both space and time, be it far in the future (2100AD?) or simply at the pole.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
reply to post by xstealth

Your theory sounds good enough, but I think that global warming has been proven and it continues even as I type this.

Maybe you don't understand. Its not global warming caused by carbon dioxide(which is essential to life), it is solar warming caused by the sun.

news.nationalgeographic.com...
www.worldclimatereport.com...
www.globalresearch.ca...
www.livescience.com...

Its nothing but global propaganda.

Here, this was told about 2-3 years ago by Alex Jones.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I for one do not believe that humans have such a large role in global warming. PFFFT, what a load of cr@p that's being fed to us everyday. The Ocean creates more carbon dioxide than humans do. Go Methane!

As for the Glaciers melting? Part of the natural cycle of Earth. We heat up they melt, ocean flows get disrupted, then things cool off again.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
So in winter the fact the ice sheets were back to 1970 levels is now forgotten?

Global warming lol. They haven't got the slightest clue.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth
Propaganda, the glaciers aren't going anywhere. Glaciers have variance, its a normal cycle.

This just really helps justify the new carbon tax.

I am personally sick of hearing about the global warming fraud, the entire solar system is warming. Its the sun, nothing we can do about it, but the government thinks that taxing us for farts and emissions will solve it.

Yeah I was on as an assistant for a camera crew that was doing "research" for this so called dilema. This is so full of crap when you see the absolute lies the tricks they do to embellish this kind of tripe.

I am getting so sick of Science and the idiots claiming to be about science. They film in the summer making loops and reversed mirrored loops of the ice shelf melting and separating from the glaciers. Then they sneak in the suggestion the video was takin in the dead of winter by having the narration say something like, scientists have come to the glaciers to study the mating habits of the emperor penguins whose mating ritual is during the winter but their is trouble brewing as global warming is taking its toll on the area. Then they show all the summer glaciers melting while they put it into your head they are their during the winter to watch penguins. The BS tactics they use to fudge data and I see it in a lot of other areas of Science too . I trust Scientists about as much as i would a convict anymore they are so full of crap about this global warming and global climate change. You watch what happens next. They will start obfuscating the Science vernacular for this particular area of Science so they can equivocate using all kinds of merging of meanings and slippery semantics to keep pushing this BS .

You want to REALLY know whats going on there?? GO THERE and see for yourself! Global Warming??

BUNK! Al Gore is a tool

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Hmmm.

Despite the occasional claim that the earth's climate is not changing (usually voiced with the assertion that yes, it is, but it's caused by solar activity not human activity), almost everyone agrees that global warming/climate change is happening.

The legitimate arguments focus on the questions "Why?" and "What, if anything, can or should we do about it?" Unfortunately, most are locked into looking for one single direct cause-and-effect - a truly obsolete, pointless endeavor.

I assume everyone here is educated well enough to understand that the planet -if not the solar system, galaxy and the universe - is a complex dynamic system. And that a multitude of factors are involved in planetary, galactic and universal dynamics.

So - given that the earth is indeed warming, and our planet's climate is in fact changing, perhaps the most important question is "What can we -and should we- do to preserve and protect our home, our cultures and our societies?" Therein lies the rub - issues arise ranging from the social to the economic.

IMO - There is a climate change conspiracy - but it's not about scientists seeking to justify and rationalize funding for grants. Let's get real - compared to corporate profits, grant money is less than peanuts.

The real climate change conspiracy is just the same ol' same ol' story. The Big Boyz know climate change is real; they know everything is changing - the planet's geography, its economies, its social orders. Their goal is to maintain their power base and financial controls - position to profit from the changes - and continue controlling the world. So they are doing what they always do - manipulating us to keep us confused, distracted, ignorant, and focused on the wrong questions - while they reposition and regroup to profit from our misery.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Hmmm.
Despite the occasional claim that the earth's climate is not changing (usually voiced with the assertion that yes, it is, but it's caused by solar activity not human activity), almost everyone agrees that global warming/climate change is happening.

Ok,,

The legitimate arguments focus on the questions "Why?" and "What, if anything, can or should we do about it?" Unfortunately, most are locked into looking for one single direct cause-and-effect - a truly obsolete, pointless endeavor.

They are NOT legitimate because they aren't NECESSARY! You want one cause and effect?

YOUR POST and MY RESPONSE

I assume everyone here is educated well enough to understand that the planet -if not the solar system, galaxy and the universe - is a complex dynamic system. And that a multitude of factors are involved in planetary, galactic and universal dynamics.

No, you would assume wrong. If you want to have a dialogue with a bunch of Cosmologists, try some of the university forums. The fact is, just because it is complex, doesn't mean you understand it any better than those who you think do not.

So - given that the earth is indeed warming, and our planet's climate is in fact changing, perhaps the most important question is "What can we -and should we- do to preserve and protect our home, our cultures and our societies?" Therein lies the rub - issues arise ranging from the social to the economic.

Given the fact that you don't know what you're talking about and that the planet's climate DOES change and that everyone accepts this fact, it is those who equivocate between "climate change" and "Global Warming" where I see the ONLY problem. Same crap so called scientists pull everytime they shift gears between micro-evolution to substantiate macro evolution.

IMO - There is a climate change conspiracy - but it's not about scientists seeking to justify and rationalize funding for grants. Let's get real - compared to corporate profits, grant money is less than peanuts.

WRONG! These grants have been used to justify private sector research to invite more investment into so called new technologies and asinine ideas like carbon credits.

The real climate change conspiracy is just the same ol' same ol' story. The Big Boyz know climate change is real; they know everything is changing - the planet's geography, its economies, its social orders. Their goal is to maintain their power base and financial controls - position to profit from the changes - and continue controlling the world. So they are doing what they always do - manipulating us to keep us confused, distracted, ignorant, and focused on the wrong questions - while they reposition and regroup to profit from our misery.

Yeah and it just might be those who spew all this garbage about climate change aren't part of some conspiracy,

they are just plane stupid and watch too many youtube videos and read too much peer reviewed science fiction.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ::.mika.::

I agree -- could find ruins of an ancient civilization preserved under ice.

That the glaciers are melting away almost everywhere is not in dispute. That this will lead to rising sea levels is not in dispute. That coastal areas will continue to be under increasing threat is not in dispute. That people need to be planing for this is self evident.
Argue causes all you want, but to deny there is cause for concern is foolish.
Sure, all kinds of climate change is natural, but the evidence is clear what direction that change has been for some time now.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

Well I'm pretty excited to see what we will find under the icy sheets of Antarctica.

Second Line.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Hmmm.

... "global warming/climate change", they are not interchangeable terms, there goes your credibility.

No one is claiming the climate has not changed in the history of the planet, it is fact that it continues to do so(or we would not be here), and will do until the planet ceases to exist. It is an absolute, you can not refute it.

Global warming is an irrelevance for the time being, i could claim the average temperature increase between january and august in the northern hemisphere might lead to a huge temperature increase and mass extinction if it continues, we all know it cannot because history and common sense tells us otherwise.

Saying we should be prepared just in case its true could be said for any number of eventualities. For as much as science has enabled us to do, it does not see anything near the full picture of what processes nature is capable of, in 50 years time the ice caps may have advanced and sea levels could have fallen, it is impossible to predict, there are far too many unknown unknowns still.

I do not see carbon credits etc as a conspiracy, as much as a relationship of convenience between science and the agendas of politics. The evidence to link human activity to a potential global temperature change is simply not there, and even if it were(and we took action as a global community) we would be neglecting to hedge our investments in the opposite polarity.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This is complete B.S. This is just a scam by the scum of the earth trying to take over.

www.theregister.co.uk...

The Japanese called BS on all the rest today...

Summary
Three of the five leading scientists contend that recent climate change is driven by natural cycles, not human industrial activity, as political activists argue.

Kanya Kusano is Program Director and Group Leader for the Earth Simulator at the Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science & Technology (JAMSTEC). He focuses on the immaturity of simulation work cited in support of the theory of anthropogenic climate change. Using undiplomatic language, Kusano compares them to ancient astrology. After listing many faults, and the IPCC's own conclusion that natural causes of climate are poorly understood, Kusano concludes:

"[The IPCC's] conclusion that from now on atmospheric temperatures are likely to show a continuous, monotonic increase, should be perceived as an unprovable hypothesis," he writes.

Shunichi Akasofu, head of the International Arctic Research Center in Alaska, has expressed criticism of the theory before. Akasofu uses historical data to challenge the claim that very recent temperatures represent an anomaly:

"We should be cautious, IPCC's theory that atmospheric temperature has risen since 2000 in correspondence with CO2 is nothing but a hypothesis. "

Akasofu calls the post-2000 warming trend hypothetical. His harshest words are reserved for advocates who give conjecture the authority of fact.

"Before anyone noticed, this hypothesis has been substituted for truth... The opinion that great disaster will really happen must be broken."

[edit on 26-2-2009 by GrndLkNatv]

[edit on 26-2-2009 by GrndLkNatv]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

The legitimate arguments focus on the questions "Why?" and "What, if anything, can or should we do about it?"

very true, but we already know the answer. nothing. can't say i'm overly depressed about that, because most proposals range from imbecile to downright destructive.

let me name two: biofuels and the notion of dumping sulfuric acid in the stratosphere. does nobody remember acid rain?

in the beginning i tried a more balanced approach only to find out the hard way that facts no longer matter to a lot of people.

Planet saved without taxation, well almost

i just cannot let that cult run rampant while twiddling my thumbs. something can be done and killing threads like these is one thing i actually can do. our primary problem is mankind itself and the zeal by many GWers is an ominous sign of things yet to come, so that will have to be adressed first, i'm afraid.

oh, btw welcome back, Soficrow

[edit on 2009.2.26 by Long Lance]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981

Your theory sounds good enough, but I think that global warming has been proven and it continues even as I type this.

Correction - you've bought into the so-called "proof" that global warming exists, despite being disproven time again by real scientists.

You can worry all you want to. Most of us, however, know this is all part of a natural cycle that the Earth goes through.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

The solar system warming up is the silliest anti-global warming excuse to come up.

If the sun was warming up enought to heat up the entire solar system, including neptune and pluto, much much farther away,the Earth, a much closer resident, will be jerky.

Where is the proof, in all those weather stations we have spread throughout the solar system?

We don't even know what Jupiter is made of, much less what temperature it is.

Mars is going through a cyclical warming because of its orbit.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
FFS!!! The original models that the Global warming idea we are constantly being subjected to were based on have been shown to be completely obsolete.

Low lying countries like Holland are not under water like they are now supposed to be!!

Yes go green, yes stop polluting but please IPCC.. stop with the bullsh@t sales pitches.. PLEASE!! Water levels are not going to rise 3-5 foot in the next fifty years!! Our governments have already pledged to give your industry a fortune..

Now leave us alone!!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Long Lance

The legitimate arguments focus on the questions "Why?" and "What, if anything, can or should we do about it?"

very true, but we already know the answer. nothing.

Are you sure? I'm thinking about the starving, dispossessed sufferers of great upheaval.

Is man civilized? What might that mean?

in the beginning i tried a more balanced approach only to find out the hard way that facts no longer matter to a lot of people.

'Tis but the Sisyphus conundrum. Knowledge being what it is (learned as opposed to hardwired), one must always begin at -well- the beginning.

Sucks I know. Doesn't mean it's not worth doing.

oh, btw welcome back, Soficrow

Thanks.

BTW - will check that taxation link.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
In reading this, OP, I can see that you are adamant that "global warming" (presumably from human activity) is "real."

I suspect that you missed the comment that the WHOLE SOLAR SYSTEM is warming. So if there are signs of warming, it has nothing to do with us here.

Also... You are relying an awful lot on NASA and other "official" sites - all of which are suspect.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Then again Long Lance, I know what you mean.

My two favorite responses, in all their self-contradictory glory:

sos37:
...you've bought into the so-called "proof" that global warming exists, despite being disproven time again by real scientists. ...Most of us, however, know this is all part of a natural cycle that the Earth goes through.

Hmmm. Are you saying global warming has been disproven and does not exist? Or that global warming does exist as part of a natural cycle which is not dynamic and therefore cannot be influenced by other factors or forces?

Amaterasu:
...the WHOLE SOLAR SYSTEM is warming. So if there are signs of warming, it has nothing to do with us here.

I get it. Because we are not part of the solar system! Right?

[edit on 26-2-2009 by soficrow]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
It's funny when people don't believe that see level can change, it's done it countless times -my island used to be joined onto France but before that it was all underwater as ALL limestone based areas were -climates change.

hehe - Know what caused the BIGGEST climate changes in history? wanna guess? yep, US! Ok so some of you creationists won't buy this but millions of years ago the world was a big cloud of co2, methane, etc then our great-grandfather's (little plant cells) used this carbon dioxide in photosynthesis because we wanted the carbon to expand our community - we pumped out millions of tons of oxygen and over time the atmosphere changed, The richer fuel source in the air then allowed the development of early animals. The change in atmosphere caused all sorts of changes in the world, and WE caused it -sort of.

So using carbon can change the world, be it c02 or a hydrocarbon our use of it can dramatically alter the world and it is probably happening now, we need to deal with it before it's too late. meh, oh darn yeah IT IS too late, the rate of change will increase rapidly when we pass the threshold and it looks like we probably already have.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

One thing you have to remember:
The Earth has been warming sine the last Ice Age. This means glaciers are suppose to melt, because they arrived here from the last Ice Age, and are the remnants of the last I. A. Since then, they have been melting and they will melt. Glaciers are not historically permanent formations.
Another fact, during the 800AD period, Vikings managed to set up settlements in Greenland and it was warm enough to have a decent sized agriculture system. Now? Forget it. That means it was MUCH warmer then and somehow, life and humans survived. During Egyptian times they had plenty of food and agriculture and it was much wetter in the Sahara regions. But look at it all now, desert! Its all a result of the planet warming. Northern England used to have vast fields of grapes for wine during the Holocene Maximum. Now? Much colder and not good for growing grapes.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join