It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

dreadlocks and spirituality

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
dreadlocks and spirituality and their history?

here are some extracts to wet your appetite on the subject of dreadlock history and dreadlocks and spirituality

Dreadlocks are a universal phenomenon in the East as well as in the West.
Spiritualists of all faiths and backgrounds incorporate into their paths a
disregard for physical appearances and vanity. And so, throughout the world,
such seekers often cease to comb, cut, or otherwise dress their hair: This
is how "dreadlocks" are born. Left to its own devices, hair will naturally knot together and form mats or "dreadlocks". Upon seeing Dreadlocks, most people think of Bob Marley,
reggae, and Rastafarianism, unaware that the roots of Dreadlocks go back

Dreadlocks have been a part of the history of every spiritual system. From Christianity to Hinduism, locked hair has been been a symbol of a highly spiritual person who is trying to come closer to God(s).

… The first known examples of the hairstyle date back to ancient Egypt, where dreadlocks appeared on Egyptian artifacts. Mummified remains of ancient Egyptians with dreadlocks have even been recovered from archaeological sites.

Dreadlocks are more than just a symbolic statement of disregard for physical
appearance. Both Eastern and Western Traditions hold that bodily, mental and
spiritual energies mainly exit the body through the top of the head and the
hair. If the hair is knotted, they believe, the energy remains within the
hair and the body, keeping a person more strong and healthy.

the tale of Samson and Delilah in which a man’s potency is directly linked to ‘the seven locks on his head’ (the biblical Sampson wore his hair in dreadlocks, and his unsurpassed strength was lost when Delilah cut off his seven locks of hair) and according to Roman accounts, the Celts were described to have ‘hair like snakes’ Germanic tribes, Greeks and the Vikings are all said to have worn dreadlocks too.

Originally, dreadlocks were the mark of spiritual status, Dogon Priest and Kemetic Spiritual Master Naba Lamoussa Morodenibig of The Earth Center explained in an interview. Priests of diverse Deities were required, at least for a specific period of time, to have dreadlocks. For example, priests of Deities that are involved in the healing of the body and with procreation, such as Wsr, Heru, Theouris and Sekhmet, are required to have dreadlocks. There is a period of seven to thirteen years that a priest of these Deities must let their hair grow freely and devote themselves completely to the Deity.

Dreadlocks carry a very heavy spiritual meaning that is virtually unknown in today's modern society. Now worn as a fashion statement, a political message, or as a rebellion, many people, young and old alike, have no idea what dreadlocks mean spiritually, and they do not know the position they are putting themselves in by having locked hair.

i would love some feedback on this topic. as this subject has never been discussed on ats before. well not that i can see.

sources for my small extract's

thebutterflytribe.com...
www.knottyboy.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

personally i know my spiritual life as developed in leap's and bounds since i decided to lock my hair. i found god. slowly changed all the bad aspects about my personality. (working every day on that one) and the only paranormal experiences i have had have been since my dreads where born (both posted here on ats if you care to dig them up)

well i hope to hear everyone ideas and belief's on the subject.

added 'ex' tags for external material

Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 22/2/09 by masqua]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Hindu sadhus who wear their hair in dreadlocks are usually Shiva worshipers.
In Hindu mythology Shiva controls the power of the female goddess Ganga (Ganges River) in the locks of his hair. It represents his power.

Now I'm not a dreadlock wearer obviously, but it's my belief that anyone who sports real dreaded locks (not braids) should try to live to a higher standard. In India it's really only the holy men, the sadhus, those who dedicate their lives to God and the higher conscious wears dreaded locks.

interesting topic btw.. I've always noted the Sampson connection to dreads.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
on the biblical side of things i came across

The dreadlocks are often compared to a lion’s mane representing power and authority. Bible passages, such as "They shall not make baldness upon their head, neither shall they shave off the corner of their beard, nor make any cuttings in the flesh" (Leviticus 21:5) are cited as guidance.

www.inspiredlocs.com...

first reference to a lion's main i have encountered

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I've always wondered why humans still have hair.
Aside from fashion, it really serves no purpose..
that is until i began to research it in a spiritual sense..
and i found that it is held in high regard as the body's direct connection to the prana of the universe.. the "holy spirit"..
i never thought twic about it.. until my hair started moving on it's own like medusa.. like static electricity.. this is one of the symptoms of morgellons syndrome..
it's also a symptom of kundalini awakening. (they may be one in the same)

here's some more info ..

The Spiritual Technology of the Turban

How does the turban work? The top of the head, the place where babies have their "soft spot," is called the tenth gate. In yogic terms, it is also known as the crown chakra. Thousands of years ago, yogis and spiritual seekers discovered that the hair on the top of the head protects the tenth gate from sun and exposure. In addition, the hair acts as antennae, channeling the energy and life-force of the sun into the body and brain.

Kundalini Yoga

According to one source, the word kundalini literally means "the curl of the lock of hair of the beloved." [9] [10] It is a metaphor, a poetic way of describing the flow of energy and consciousness which already is said to exist within each person. The practices are said to enable the person to merge with or "yoke" the universal Self. This merging of individual consciousness with the universal consciousness is said to create a "divine union" called "yoga".[11]

-

[edit on 22-2-2009 by prevenge]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
found this interesting pdf article. haven't got time to read it all as it's rather late but it looks interesting from what i skim read with my tired eye's

The true name for dreadlocks is
simply “locks”! In Amaric, the language of Ethiopia,
the word for “locks” is Qwendala, which means,
“sprout, like horns.” Our qwendala - locks are
divine antennas and receptors of spiritual, mental
and physical energies known as ethers and aethers.
Our naturally woolly curly locks which some misinformed
people call “dreads” are receptors of these
modes of energy which ebb and flow throughout the innerverse
(within) and the universe (without). The proof of this is the case of
Samson in the Bible whose seven natty locks were his receptors of
emotional strength from the One Most High.

rastaphilosophy.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
well ill be reading your links tomorrow as for now i relay need some sleep.

thankyou for your input ill be looking forward to doing some more delving into the subject after work.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Interesting. Not only do they look trendy but they have good reason to be there . I once tried growing them , but my hair got all tangled into a ball , hehe. Its true tho , no effort is required , just let it go feral and it will grow in to dreads.

Half baked quote - "Well i be from Jamaica man. Which part of Jamaica ? Right near the beach , Oyi! "

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   

personally i know my spiritual life has developed in leap's and bounds since i decided to lock my hair. i found god. slowly changed all the bad aspects about my personality. (working every day on that one) and the only paranormal experiences i have had have been since my dreads where born (both posted here on ats if you care to dig them up)

This is my only problem. Sayings such as, inorder to be highly spiritual you must have dread locks.

Im not a fan of rules. Rules of any sort. Thats why I do not believe in this. From my presonal experience, I actually had a spiritual awakening after I cut my hair off, which used to be down to my nipples. Having long hair actually makes you alittle more uncoordinated also since your peripheral vision is blocked by hair.

That being said, dread locks could be related to a spiritual person. Simply because he does not care about his physical appearance. A long and mangy beard could signify just the same.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
i never said in order to be highly spiritual you must have dreadlocks. this topic was more about how their history and spirituality are intermingled.

i said personally i have grown spiritually since having them. this could be shear coincidence. or more likely the events that occurred since then. like finding god.

and as for being uncoordinated with long hair that's just crazy.(im an avid skateboarder and ive not noticed any drop in coordination.(i could even state that it has improved but that's more down to more practice not hair ..lolz) unless they get so heavy you are overbalanced i cant see how this affects anything. since your inner ear is for balance and peripheral vision is just that vision. personally i do tie my hair back when skating or doing sports but this is more so they don't flop in front of my face.

i don't think there are any rules governing hair spiritually. many monks, Buddhists and others shave their head like you did as a mark to their chosen god/'s so you could say reversely that no hair could be a sign of spirituality. .

its probably more the commitment to a particular act that helps on the spiritual journey. be it cutting hair or growing it .

well im off to help my folks cut down a tree it looks mighty big but its rather likely to fall on their new home, so unfortunate it has to be removed. ill be back later to try and dig up some more information.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
hey hey - this is a really interesting discussion you all are having. i was hoping to hop in. i have been searching high & low hoping to discover some practical answerings on the metaphysical properties of locs. this is the closest i have come. i did read - but without a clarified source- that the hair follows a spiral that resembles that of a tornado or a whirl wind - and should always be twisted to the right, as to not disturb this pattern. but..my right? the dreads right? good questions.

it is interesting anyway. but there has just got to be more information out there. i have an impression that locks can trap + and - energies, which is why wrapping is good. they become these tendrils to heaven - of sorts. super conductors of electricity. this must work with the person, and not against them ? - there has to be a reason why they are anchored to spirituality.

i am just shooting vibes here - brain storm of sorts. but really, thank you all for your input in this discussion. it is an honor to have found this collective & to read on all your ideas as well.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Great post....

I have had all natural locks for 2 years now, and I love they way they make me feel and look. Ive noticed subtle changes in the way I feel for sure. I seem to have more energy, clearer thoughts..etc
It could be all mental of course, but I like to think my locks are holding energy anyhow....

I do know that people seem to treat me with more respect now, and instantly know that I am a deep person. I make more of an effort to treat people with kindness and respect now, because I have put a spotlight upon myself by "standing out".

I feel that I can read people more now, and feel that I have a stronger connection to mother earth. I feel like I do have some extra "energy" or "strength" or what ever one wants to call it though, but not an overwhelming amount..

I keep them super clean, and have never used any wax or any product in them ever. I wash them with pure natural soap 2 times per week, and they are fat and fluffy and knotty.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by lucidvisions]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
My hair got down to below my chest. Had to cut it when it got fried. Shaved it completely off in one day of change. Hated that it was done.

Two years later its back neck length. This time I kept it relaxed. It's hard to let knots stay in my head and not unconsciously untangle them. So the straight look is enjoyed even though my hair is naturally curly.

Now if I could find a person to braid my hair that would be awesome. Want to avoid bands or too many beads to tie the braids, so the obvious thing to do is to dread the end of the braids. Not sure if wax or such is needed to keep the lock. Need someone that knows and not someone that can just braid.

Had my hair partially braided once before. I swear it was a world of difference. People respected me that wouldn't even give me the time of day before.

There is much purpose in hair. I'm too depressed without out. More energy to stay positive with hair. And, like being in tune

[edit on 22-8-2009 by dzonatas]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I don't advise a haircut, man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight.

Danny - From the brilliant film Withnail and I.

--

Personally i always feel more liberated without hair. Although currently i'm sporting fairly longish hair.

I don't think there's anything spiritual about dread locks in the slightest, i've seen enough idiots with dreadlocks to disprove this theory. It seems there's a current trend in my home town were the youth are donning dreadlocks as some kind of fashion statement....

And i've known enough up-tight , drug addicted fools with dreads that certainly proves that it's nothing more than a hair style.

It's what's inside your heart not what grows on your head that matters.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
that's excellent. thanks so much for sharing your story... after years of contemplating locks, i have decided to fully embark upon the journey!

there was an older woman that used to come into the grocery store i worked in, a beautiful african woman with magnificent locks- she almost always wrapped her locks up in a turban. i asked her once how she wrapped it so neatly, and so uniquely- and she told me that she was in deep meditation while wrapping, and the techniques are given to her by her ancestors. and that was that.

i had high respects for this, and it definitely edged my curiosity about wrapping, and locks in general.

because i have journeyed into locking following some intuitive sense, i now find myself in awe of the playground my self has encountered. its like..okay, here i am, dreadlocks are beautiful and hold this unspoken experience to be experienced. but why did i choose this? i mean, really, deeply, why have i decided on this. what about this is altering my frequency to meet my highest good? why is this beautiful to some eyes and not to others? and even more vastly, this is seen all over the world from the dawn of humanity. what would call Sampson, the druids, sahdus and the rasta culture to take this path? and why now, a serge of locked warriors in the West?

whats' up with our hairs?!

i like to imagine that our hair holds metaphysical properties, as electric lines do, to conduit certain frequencies. i would imagine that shaved heads hold the same vibe as locked, long lengths- but in a reverse style way. like the tree that grows unobstructed -and just wildly grows & grows- it is full of life & truth, receiving the rays of the sun, and channeling this information down to the earth. and one day perhaps the tree burns down to the ground, and switches up his channels of reception. the tree is en-lightened upon with a fresh new perspective, basking in the light & wisdom that he once had stretched out to receive. Earth welcomes the tree to resonate with her, unobstructed; a different flow of energy has arrived as a teacher, so to speak.

Change is the universal constant! so i wouldn't ever imagine that having locks or not having locks, dictates one to be closer to god, or holier than thou, than any other. and i wouldn't claim -thru my personal experience- that locks are always true to serving the purpose of letting go & letting god. experiencing our creations (even if it is without attachment) and expressing our mysteries( thru action) is an act of god within us all. change change change!

hair in general, always tends to tie up lots of our energy. i worked in a salon for a while. its nuts. it is creation.. every choice we make is a turn to nurture another aspect of ourselves- no matter what the choice - it is all about directing your attention and flow of energy in the areas you are lead, or inticed to go.

considering our hair is at the top of our head, a high traffic area where our energy enters and exits- for many it is the beginning of the identity zone- i have to wonder- what kind of focus and intent does our hair-or no hair - draw to us? what does it draw out of us?

and like you have mentioned LucidVisions - you tend to your locks with patience, and you cleanse them -with water and natural soaps- perhaps in some way this is also symbolic of your physical connection to your spirit. it is nurtured.

adio! aloha & Cheers
to all the warriors

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

It's what's inside your heart not what grows on your head that matters.

agree
also dzonatas - you have an interesting point of view. it seems that whatever gives us high esteem makes us stronger & more magnetic.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
i have had locks for over 10 yrs, and i have thought about cutting them totally off for almost 3 yrs. I just cant seem to bring myself to do it tough.

OP- have you read a coffee table book called Dreads by Francesco Mastalia and Alfonse Pagano? whenever i look the book over it gives me renewed perseverance to keep my dreads.

I came to this thread from a link you posted on another thread about the inmate who was in isolation for not cutting his locks.
Nice to see other dreadies on ats.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I don't advise a haircut, man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight.

Awesome quote! I haven't had my hair cut or done by a hairdresser for nearly 8 years (and I'm female so quite unusual) as i just don't trust them - they never do what they're asked and have their own "world view" of what hair should be like.

As you can see from my avatar, my hair is naturally very curly and if I get caught in the rain, it forms into little mini dreads. I spent my teenage years (and beyond!) trying to straighten it, but since I decided to leave it as nature intended, I have been much happier with it's appearance and I feel liberated by not conforming to the "fashion nazi" norms of what my hair says to other people about who I am, so in that respect, I feel that having natural hair allows you to be yourself and focus on what is really important, not so much if it forms dreadlocks, is straight or even if you have no hair at all (by natures design, not a hair clipper!) but more that you are not an expression of the latest hairstyle etc but just being true to who you really are.

So yes, dreadlocks as a natural consequence probably does have spiritual significance.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

im sure there are lots of us knotties here on ats hidden behind are avatars.

i haven't read the book but going to have a little google for it now.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
im half tempted to make a dreadlock roll call thread.

encouraging all members with dreadlocks to post pics of their knotts up on the thread.

it would be interesting to say the least.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
So if you are naturally going bald are you less close to God and more close to Satan?

I come from a sikh / Irish gypsy back ground so not cutting your hair (Sikh side) is a common practice amongst one side of the family. They believe you should not remove what god gave you, which may tie in to the above comments.

I like my hair short, purely because it less hassle, so will i never be spiritual enough / close to god?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join