It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions for parents who homeschool

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by napayshni57
As for children that have lots of energy. I believe they just came out with a finding that since the schools have taken away recess that the children aren't doing as well. That they need that time to burn off energy. The children have a harder time focusing on school work because of this.

This is the only thing I can think of for why my son spends so much time talking and not paying attention. He's in kindergarten but he is expected to sit still for four hours without being able to burn off any energy except the little bit it takes to go to the rest room during their quick break between subjects. I can't even sit quietly for that long without needing to move around.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Im not sure I have much to add, except I wanted to tell my brother's experience. He was like your son. Very active and got bored VERY easily in school. He would talk a lot, act bored, etc. Way back then, the teachers tried telling my parents he had ADD (I dont think ADHD was thought up yet) and said he probably needed medication.

Long story short, he was really bored because he was not being challenged enough. Luckily that school had classes for "gifted or advanced" kids.....and he tested into them - and he was seriously challenged and never bored. He took advanced classes from there on out (luckily all schools he went to offered them) and even graduated high school early.

Im not sure if this is an option for you, but maybe something to look into.

Also, before home schooling, look into charter schools in your area. Most charter schools have smaller class rooms and seem to challenge the kids more. The school that Im trying to get my daughter in, is a charter school and they have talked about kids like your son or my brother who need that extra challenge and extra work to keep them going.

Here is a link for US charter schools:
www.uscharterschools.org...

Anyways, good luck and you sound like a great parent!

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Thanks for the link. I actually hadn't considered a charter school, but I went to the link and there is one about 30 minutes away from me that I'm going to look into. It's possible that he is just bored. He has been getting checkmarks, the kindergarten version of A's here, in everything except behavior since the beginning of school. The teacher was actually a bit impressed that he could already write a little when school started and I know he is understanding what they are going over in class. He just won't sit still long enough to pay attention... I'm just running out of options and I refuse to put him on meds when there is nothing wrong with him, though I'm sure the school will be suggesting it soon if he doesn't start paying more attention.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join