It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bony Lump

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
OK- this is not an emergency but it bothers me a bit. I had a fall a few weeks ago and I ended up bashing the area around my ankle and under my knee on my right leg. I fell over a small flower bed so that those two areas were smashed against bricks. Well, both areas are basically skin and bone for me, so there was some ugly bruising and swelling for a week. Everything looks fine now as far as bruising, but just under my knee at the top of my shin is a small hard lump about 3/4 of an inch diameter that feels like bone. It sticks up and can be easily seen. I have a crappy camera so I doubt I will get a decent shot of it.

Is is possible this is a tiny fracture, and should I go get it seen? I really don't like wasting time and money at the doctor's office over something that cannot be helped. I don't go in when I am sick because it is almost always a virus that they cannot treat those, so I won't go in if there are no long-term bad things gonna happen from neglecting it.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I had an incident where I wa playing Aussie rules and I got clobbered from behind in the head. I ended up with a bony lump just behind my right ear. This was about 6 years ago, and its sort of still there, but a lot smaller than intially.

I think lumps like these are caused by scar tissue turning into cysts, which is nothing serious. If it doesnt hurt, there is probably no point in seeing a doctor, but if you want it removed, or are suspicious that it might be something more serious it may be better to waste the money.

Hope that helps

I just thought of something else too. It may be possible that you chipped a particle of bone off your knee which has calcified. If this is the case, you will definently need it removed. I dont think this is it in your case, but you probably should see a doctor if you're worried

[edit on 20/2/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
You and that Aussie no rule football,lol. Thanks Oz- can bone calcify in such a short time?

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I still have a not on my finger where I slammed it in a car door way back in Scouts when I was a kid. It's possible that you damaged the skin where you fell, and it's formed a knot that'll heal over time. Or you sort of bruised the bone, which can take a long time to heal.
A friend of mine has a bony mass on his wrist, never did get it looked at. Full mobility, never hurt, so he never really worried about it.
If it hurts, or you feal you loose mobility, definitely get it looked at.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by raven bombshell
You and that Aussie no rule football,lol. Thanks Oz- can bone calcify in such a short time?

Lol,yep that Aussie Rules, onyl had one case of a severely sprained ankle and a recurring case of bursitis in my shoulder this season....so far

But we are into the finals this week, so minimum one game to go....i just play through the pain

Not sure about how quicjky calcification occurs, but here's a couple of link that explains it

en.wikipedia.org...

www.wrongdiagnosis.com...

top topics

join