It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How heavy is your BoB?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Currently my BOB weighs around 60 pounds. Ive also got 2 rifles and a Dog BOB (Which she wears).

If you include all the gear in my car Ive got nearly 375 pounds of gear to bug out with.

Truthfully I would rather Bug In. My house is in the process of being fortified (with alot of pain put into making it look like it isnt.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Depends how much of it I have at the time in question, Mine is distributed in segment/ batches in various areas/ places between my room and out of city limits. I even have in some of the segments replacements of outright essentials just incase I have to bypass one of the other segments and miss out on what I placed there. I am aware at the risk of loosing segments to other people before, during and after the event but that could happen just as easily if you have it all bundled together. But given health issues I don't expect I would get all that far before I come to the attention of the people I am trying to avoid, but its worth a shot I guess.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by korath

Try doing an hour or so on rugged terrain. The truth is, if you really need this stuff to survive, or make survival easier, then by all means carry it. If you're not conditioned to this kind of weight you WILL get used to it. You will have to make a series of stops and you should schedule for them. You're not a machine. There are ways of positioning equipment around your BOB that would even out the weight distribution. Try fiddling around with that too.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Agreed. Mine's pretty heavy because I have to take everything with me at this moment. I took it out for a 90 minute walk yesterday, mostly streets. I still have things to add, mainly clothing, but there was no point on a first trial.

I should be able to build it up after a while and get to a point where I can go for half a day with moderate rests. Yes, this doesn't account for hiding in ditches etc. but it's a start and it's better than 'nowt.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Quite a man that can carry around a 200 lb. backpack. I doubt that very seriously....sabre11004

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_MislTech

Originally posted by 2Resistance
I don't know exactly how heavy mine is though I know its pretty light. Instead of a two man tent why not look into a bivy tent or just learn to fasten a tarp into a shelter.

I agree with this for stealth reasons, a full leafed double or triple
lean-to will basically make you invisible from the air and 270 degrees.

Use some thick mil trash bags for your bedding with lots of dry leaves,
and I swear its more comfortable than my cheap mattress, lol.

Hope it doesn't rain and get your bedding wet...That would really suck...sabre11004

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Nirgal

My bag as follows:

First Aid Kit(Comprehensive)
Mess kit
mini propane stove burner
Crank Radio/flashlight LED
Machete and hatchet
Sleeping bag(mil-spec -40 F)
Hoodie Sweater/BDU pants and shirt + boonie hat
E-tool
Paracord 200 ft
Magnesium firestarter/matches/magnifying glass/lighters
Poncho
Ski mask(Black)
2 way multi channel GRMS FRS radios with earpieces
Water bottle + Camelbak + Canteen
Hand Chainsaw
Ammo
Spare knife
Zip ties
Compass + Map of my area
Batteries
Stun Gun
CS Gas pepper spray
Water tabs + Coffee Filters + Vegetable wash
Soap/toothbrush/toothpaste

All weighs in roughly 70 LBS

The tent and bulk of my ammo is in my tent bag which will be carried by me or my GF, she has her own BOB without some of this stuff. She carries the canteen and camel-bak I have the rifle. It's best to have a second person to bug out with. But your own bag that you have on your back should not exceed this weight. I'm 135 lbs, but I'm fit and well trained. If you're less than fit and don't have the kind of training I do I suggest keeping to absolute basics, and make sure you have the Army survival handbook. It is VERY useful.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Im getting in on this thread a little late, but I spent a good deal of time tearing my bag apart and writing down the contents and weighing the thing, so now Ill bore you with its contents. If I ever figure out how to post pics on this site will edit with those.

Total dry weight of pack 38 lbs. Have hauled it over 10 miles in some of the harshest terain I have ever seen.

2 Lightweight tarps
Compact fishing pole w/ reel
Hooks, small lures, 6 lb test
Treble hooks, 100 lb test (trot lines)
Hand crank radio
Droppoint fixed blade knife
2 water bottles with charcoal filters
Water enhancers (gatorade powder)
Hat clip on headlamp with 3 x-tra batteries
Blastmatch/wetfuel/char cloth
Henry 22 survival rifle with 100 rounds
Titanium nesting cookset (pot, pan, lid)
Titanium spork
Collapsable spatula
Pill bottle filled with salt/pepper
3 large black trash bags
100 yards paracord
Sleeping bag
toilet paper
5 ziplock bags
potassium tablets
Advil
Medical kit
Heirloom seeds
Folding saw
Woodsmans pal
10 caribiners
Dust masks
Isotat Tablets
Aluminum foil
Duct tape
Katadyne water filter
Titanium cup
Extra socks, gloves, long johns
4 Mountain house meals
2 mosquito nets
Magnifying glass
Small bottles of Rubbing alcohol and H2O2
Snares
Picture frame wire (squirrel snares)
Small food enhancers (tobassco, soy sauce, etc...)
Handfull of dry corn (more on that later)
Latex gloves
P-38's
SAS survival guide
Playing cards
2 Victor #1 jump traps (very small leg hold trap)
4 Twinings cans to hold and protect small items, i.e. fishing gear, foodstuffs, etc...
2 bandanas

Corn is used with traps. Bait trap with corn, set trap. Very handy to catch birds such as grouse.

I honestly thought it would weigh more after I went through it, but if you keep everything as light as possible, you can really pack in alot of gear.

As for items such as folding knives, sewing kits and the like, thats all in my EDC, didnt want to be overly redundant and increase weight.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Mine is around 30 LBs, but its under review at the moment

Survival Small Bug out Bag

Cordura nylon multi pocket travel bag
Cold Steel Extra Large Voyager Tanto
AKM Bayonet (modified)
4 X magnification mini field glasses
Multi tool with plier head (Gerber 600 / Legend)
Multi tool with pruning head (Stanley)
Flashlight (Madjak) plus bulbs and CR123 batteries
Inova X 5 Flashlight (5 led) plus CR123 batteries
Samsung E 800 Cellphone
Assorted Chemical light sticks
Water Purification Tablets
Rations (boil in bag and freeze dried)
Condiments and drinks sachets
Windproof butane lighters x 2
Hexamine cooker
Knife sharpener (Gerber)
Maps and scans all laminated (OS Landrangers 1:50,000)
Silva Type 4/54 compass in mils and degrees (6400 & 360)
Survival instructions
Survival book (Mini SAS Survival Manual)
Notebook and Pen (Sharpy)
Waterproofed matches in film canister.
Magnesium block and striker
35 mm film canister filled with Vaseline soaked cotton wool balls
Medical kit (expedition size)
Spare prescription specs
Paracord 50 meters
Large Fiskars folding wood saw
Ziplock bags
Small tin with button compass, signal mirror, spare batteries
Telescopic baton
Shemagh / Bandana
Sony ICF-B200 Wind up / Battery powered radio / spare batteries
Tactical gloves (KONA)
Barnett Trident 75 LB pistol crossbow / spare prod/ strings and 50 bolts.
Personal Hygiene Kit (soap, razor, toothbrush and paste, deodorant)
Pack of Baby Wipes (better than toilet paper)
Spare underwear & socks

I have a second bag that attaches to this one containing more clothes
The list above is supplementary to my EDC kit.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
By the time it's packed it'll be a around 60lbs. Problem is, as I've said before, I am going to have to carry enough for an INCH scenario. If... IF I knew it would only be 72 hours then I could probably half what I have.

[edit: nomenclature]

[edit on 22-2-2009 by Nirgal]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Been seriously looking into starting one myself. Lack of funding is prohibitive however. Of course i'm only just starting to take an interest in this sort of thing. Coming into it a little late in the game I suppose.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hypntick
Been seriously looking into starting one myself. Lack of funding is prohibitive however. Of course i'm only just starting to take an interest in this sort of thing. Coming into it a little late in the game I suppose.

Its never to late to start preparing a BOB and the best way of doing it is one piece at a time selected by you because it suits your own specific needs.
May I suggest you start with the EDC essentials ( Every Day Carry)
Lock knife
Multi tool
Flashlight
Compass
Lighter
Paracord
Shades
Bandana/ Kerchief
Analogue watch
First aid kit

and let it grow from there.
Respects NR

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
i have a C7 1 Bioflex Backpack (65 10 Litres) Berghaus, dont know what my kit weighs, but it includes a hilleburg savio tent (as i have 2 little ones) just to make life easier, all the usual parifinalia (sp?) eg katladyn water filter, loftys tool, mini hatchet, knife, sleeping bags (-20o) blast match, comprehencive survival , with first aid (bum bag style) etc etc....learning to make things from nature, eg flint napping, cord, etc.
my bigger bob has more things like sporks, wind up radio tranga cookset,parra cord 60m, food for 3 days....bit like going to a hotel really
learning wild foods, an on going thing so that i can free up room in bob.
m x

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
My bug out bag focuses on the essentials and being lightweight, so it shouldn't weigh any more than 20 lbs. Just in case I might need to run with them, i don't want something really heavy on my back. If you are moving around with a 50 lb pack this will not only tire you out faster but also attract unwanted attention from raiders.

CONTENTS (16):

3 bottles water
Large jar peanut butter
Multi-tool
Construction gloves
First aid kit
1 roll toilet paper
Wind up radio w/LED
Flashlight
Water purification tablets
50 ft paracord
Firestarter
Compass
Bandana
Fishing kit
Binoculars
SAS manual

That should cover basically everything you will need for survival in the wilderness, even for long-term. I can hunt, set traps, build shelter, create fires, heal, scout and stay updated on news. These things should provide me with convenience for 3 days while I get used to the setting. The only problem is that I haven't found a bug out location yet...

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
My husband bought an old military back pack and bugged it out. When he put it on me, I fell backwards so we definately have some reorganizing to do!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join