It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Graffiti girl jailed for first offence

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
reply to post by tezzajw

Your right she should have to pay the $200, and do the jail time and then go apologies to to the store owner as well!

The law is the law - so she committed the act...

However I think the punishment is stupid.

If that gal had to go and clean it up and pay- that would do more good than sending her in with nutsacks.

You put someone in with killers you don't get a Chip Douglas back.

Cleaning that stuff up would have been embarrassing enough.

Not to mention the $10,000 in taxs spent...

I did some writing when I was younger, I grew out of it and I have done plenty of good since then, regardless.

Cleaning it up would be mortifying,good de motivator for a attention starved young adult.

Or shall we introduce her to the attention getting life of hard crime?

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Sure, she's legally an adult but she's still a teen. I encourage you to read some basic psych books and see how the teenage brain is still prone to risk-taking.

Ya, she took a risk and now she'll spend three months in jail for it

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   

I don't mind some of my taxes going to the justice system, thats why it's there! for criminals like her ( and worse) as well.

I'd like to ask you what the worst thing that you've ever done in your life is, but it's probably off topic and I wouldn't expect you to answer honestly anyway - not that you would be obliged to do so.

So you'll support a system that will pay hundreds of dollars to firstly persecute the girl through the girls and then incarcerate her for three months, when it all could have been solved by making her own up to her mistake and fix it?

Interesting. I've never seen such a blatant illogical waste of resources being promoted as a good idea before.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

Im sure this 18 yr old young adult will learn the lesson of being an adult real quick now, and definately think twice about doing stupid childish acts like that ever again.

Now she will have her first black mark on her brand new ADULT record. Heck of a way to start out being an adult.

That young lady looks quite intelligent to me in the press release photo. She looks like she is from a decent family, educated, not a bum or gang member. So I would think that this young lady has the smarts to know the difference between right and wrong.

Chances are that after the first month in jail, she will be let loose anyway and the rest of her jail time will be probation.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Hijacking your reply to someone else, but I'll gladly jump in

So you would personally lock her up for three months and justify to her family why you feel that this is warranted?

Yep, and if it was within the power of this imaginary court that I am now a judge of, I throw in 20 lashes to go on with.

I'm assuming that you never did anything wrong as a teenager, nor did any of your friends or family?

Yep, did plenty wrong in the past and have paid for it - see my reply above.

We can't have a police state and absolute subjugation without people willing to be controlled and abused by authority.

*looks around* No police hassling law abiding citizens where I live...

Most of the teenagers that I grew up with did some kind of naughty thing once. It's part of growing up. You would have to lock up nearly a whole generation of people in Melbourne if you're going to throw a girl in jail for writing her name on a wall.

Mate, you could have taken the words right out of my mouth. Teenagers in Melbourne and other cities in general are disrespectful blights on society. A good foot up the ass from their parents and neighbours would have sorted them out while they were young enough to take notice, but our paranoid politically correct country has given us a generation where it is wrong to make children suffer the consequences of their actions and instead we're left with the dysfunctional society we have. Lets hope there's more judges out here like this one that start laying down the law.

Maybe you should post your grievances on MySpace or Facebook instead - or you could even contact your local greens politician - I am sure you'll get a sympathetic hearing, but doesn't look like it is going to happen here.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
That young lady looks quite intelligent to me in the press release photo. She looks like she is from a decent family, educated, not a bum or gang member. So I would think that this young lady has the smarts to know the difference between right and wrong.

I agree, she looks decent and she's probably not a bad person, especially without any prior convictions.

Imagine how bitter, twisted and totally screwed up she'll be after spending three months of her life behind bars with all sorts of fruitcakes.

"Hey, girl I robbed a bank and I'm in for five years, what are you in for?"
"I wrote my name on a wall with a texta. I apologised, offered to pay and clean it up, but they said I have to spend three months in here."

Once more, logic grows wings and flies right on out of the window.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Ok here we have an 18 year old ADULT, who shortly after turning 18, decided to spray some paint on private property..a resturant wall.

Ah-huh. Yeah, no worries. It's probably worth reading the article before replying to it.

You realise that she used a black texta and not spray paint, right? You realise that she wrote her name about the size of 1 foot by 2 foot?

Sure, she's legally an adult but she's still a teen. I encourage you to read some basic psych books and see how the teenage brain is still prone to risk-taking.

Just liked I predicted in the OP and I'm not being let down. The police state replies are typical of a world gone mad. Keep them coming!

Who wants to volunteer to personally look this girl in the eye and tell her that she's going to be deprived of her freedom and liberty for three months because she wrote her name on a wall?

Remember, when you look her in the eye, think of all the times that you could have been caught doing something, or when you were caught and let off lightly, how lucky you were and how she's been persecuted by an injust unfair system.

Does it matter if she used paint, sharpie, blood, lipstick?

No it doesnt.

She is not being deprived of her freedom, she is being punished for doing something stupid and being properly dealt with as an adult.

When I was 18 I wasnt going around writting on walls my friend. I was doing things to better my life since at that time I just turned into an adult and knew the responsibilities that came with the glory of becoming an adult. But then again I was raised in a generation where we took responsibility for our actions even at age 13 and often would get a good ass whoopin for severe wrong doings...thats something that doesnt happen anymore..good ass whoopins for discipline these days. And that is part of the problem.

Dont give me the comparison crap. Like I said, I grew up in a day when being responsible and becoming an adult was an honor and something to be proud of. And I am so glad that my parents were able to enforce capitol punishment on me and my brother and sister when necessary. We learned real quick the meaning of being responsible for our actions, and that lesson/s carried well into our adult lives, and I thank them for it.

This gal will get let loose after one month and be put on probation. Jails are crammed full anyway, even in Sydney.

So please..spare me the "deprive her freedom" bull.... because that dont wash and 3 months is nothing. Even 1 month is nothing with 2 months probation. And being free doesnt mean being responsible free.

Get real.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 2-2-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   

reply to post by alyosha1981

Im sure this 18 yr old young adult will learn the lesson of being an adult real quick now, and definately think twice about doing stupid childish acts like that ever again.

Now she will have her first black mark on her brand new ADULT record. Heck of a way to start out being an adult.

Chances are that after the first month in jail, she will be let loose anyway and the rest of her jail time will be probation.

Cheers!!!!

I'm not saying she shouldn't be held responsible.

But you put one person in jail you get a different person out, I will tell you, its never for the better IME.

If she can be rehabilitated without being infected with the hard crime disease, society Could very well find a productive member in a few years.

I would suggest the embarrassment + cleanup + payup as a solid first resort.

It is wise to use restraint in some cases.

Is the goal

the act of punishing

or reform

There lots of punishment to go around

very often - little reform to be observed

???????

[edit on 2-2-2009 by The Bald Champion]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snappahead
Yep, did plenty wrong in the past and have paid for it - see my reply above.

See my question above, did you go to jail for what you did? If so, how long?

A good foot up the ass from their parents and neighbours would have sorted them out while they were young enough to take notice, but our paranoid politically correct country has given us a generation where it is wrong to make children suffer the consequences of their actions and instead we're left with the dysfunctional society we have. Lets hope there's more judges out here like this one that start laying down the law.

So why isn't she getting her good foot up the arse instead of going straight to jail?

Here's what her foot up the arse should be: Apology to owners. Paying all costs to remove graffitti and cleaning it herself.

THAT foot up the arse that she should be getting IS making her suffer the consequences for her actions. It will probably be more meaningful to her than being thrown in prison.

The best part of seeing the police-state replies isn't now, but in ten to twenty years time. Think of it like this - when your 18 year old child does exactly the same thing do you want them going to prison for it? Honestly now, no double standards.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see how smug some people would be in the future when their children make mistakes.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by The Bald Champion

Chances are she will spend a month at most, in a low security county or city jail house, and get to watch tv, smoke em if she's got em, put her feet up and get 3 hots and a cot each day.

Or if her lawyer appeals, she can be out in 2 weeks after going in and spend her time on probation terms.

Who knows, if she behaves like an adult should while in jail, she may actually get out within the first two weeks and be declared as sentance served.

Its all up to her, ever since she turned 18..hence the term "legally responsible age"...which is 18.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Im sure she will have to clean up the wall as well. As I said, if she acts like an adult and not a cry baby throwing tantrums, she will be let loose on good behavior within 2 weeks to a month and the rest either as probation or sentance served.

The ball is in her court, and now she has to play the adult game very seriously.

Hope she makes the right choices now. She will be responsible for them till the day she dies.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
so she did 200 dollars Australian damage after conversion thats like 120 dollars U.S

jail term 3 months = 30 dollars a day =2700 dollars cost to the tax payer

building still has to pay for repair

for 200 dollars damage she should have done maybe 1 -2 days jail absolute max

and honestly wouldn't everyone benefit from her just washing if of or doing community time for couple hours

punishment is a direct reflection of harm and there was actually no harm done here what so ever jail shouldn't even be in the equation

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Does it matter if she used paint, sharpie, blood, lipstick?
No it doesnt.

You realise that you didn't read the article though, right? Deny ignorance and put her 'crime' into perspective. It was a black texta. Probably a crime of opportunity, who knows. She might have been a uni student and had one in her bag. Having a can of spray paint might suggest something more premeditated.

So, yes. It does matter what she was using.

When I was 18 I wasnt going around writting on walls my friend. I was doing things to better my life since at that time I just turned into an adult and knew the responsibilities that came with the glory of becoming an adult.

Can you please direct me to the switch in a person's head that flicks on when they are 18 and tells them that they are now 'grown up'?

Humans don't work like that. She made a mistake. It's a minor mistake. No doubt embarrassing to her and it's easily fixed with common sense.

So please..spare me the "deprive her freedom" bull.... because that dont wash and 3 months is nothing. Even 1 month is nothing with 2 months probation. And being free doesnt mean being responsible free.

How is it bull when she's being locked in prison for three months for writing her name on a wall? How is that not depriving her of her freedom?

Get real.

Sadly, I'm probably one of the few in this thread who is being real.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by tezzajw]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   

reply to post by The Bald Champion

Chances are she will spend a month at most, in a low security county or city jail house, and get to watch tv, smoke em if she's got em, put her feet up and get 3 hots and a cot each day.

Or if her lawyer appeals, she can be out in 2 weeks after going in and spend her time on probation terms.

Who knows, if she behaves like an adult should while in jail, she may actually get out within the first two weeks and be declared as sentance served.

Its all up to her, ever since she turned 18..hence the term "legally responsible age"...which is 18.

Cheers!!!!

I guess I did not take not of where the offense took place.

If it was here in LA county she would be thinking about fashioning newspaper armor. Getting some money together to keep her face uncut or she could join a gang by assaulting another inmate.

Especially taggers

Fresh County fish either pay up, get stabbed up, or join a gang

I knew several dumb kids who went in dumb kids and came out dangerous adults.

I say the punishment is fair, but stupid.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Well at the risk of you guys flaming me I am going to give my 2 cents.
I run buildings for a living and I have got to smile at this.
We have spent thousands on cleaning graffiti.It seems like after you clean it then they come back and do it again.
These little jerks don't care that they are damaging property and that someone has to pay to have it removed.
I say good that the judge dropped the hammer.
Ipersonally would have made her pay for the cleaning of her mess and would have made her work for the company that cleans it for 1 week for free.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Im so glad you got ESP and know when someone reads something or not.

Perhaps you can use some of that ESP right now and imagine what Im thinking of your reply at this moment???

Go bark at the judge if his sentance doesnt appeal to you. I for one think it fits the crime just fine. Too many young adults and kids these days just get a slap on the hand and dont learn a damned thing and go on to do worse and some call it psychological limitations. Ahh BS!!!!

As I stated, its time for the pampers to come off and start pulling up her own pants by herself and learn what it is to be an adult in an adult world.

Im sure that as a responsible adult yourself...you would clearly see the point that the judge is trying to make with the case. And if you did some research you will find that unless the crime was murder or armed robbery, minor offenses like this one are usually served 1 to 3 weeks of the total sentance recomendation. Even for a 25 yr old adult, that is usually how it works out.

So before you go on some high and mighty march of you know best, when you obviously dont, I would sit back, pour yourself a cup of joe or grab a beer, relax and let this young lady learn her lesson and be an adult without you or her mommie and daddy holding her hand like as if she was 12.

In simpler terms...quit making mountians out of ant hills.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

I agree! these judges need to get the point into the "kid's" thick skulls before they go out and do something more serious.The more leienent the punishment the more prone the offender will be to repeating or worse.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Starred and Flagged! Nice one Tezz!

Ridiculous abuses of the justice system such as this one will only increase the numbers of people who resist arrest.

If you are going to go to prison for the pettiest of crimes and now that the police are so corrupt they often beat, abuse, plant evidence and lie on the stand - people might as well resist.

Why take your chances with the Criminals and their support structure?

It is starting to make more sense to fight for your life - or however many years they will steal from you nowadays. You'll be tasered and beaten anyways should you choose to 'comply'... but even if your belly down and begging, some will still shoot you.

Then, once your in the Criminal's 'custody', you get to be subjected to even more Human Rights violations. Both men and women will be anally violated in the guise of a 'search' and will provide pleasure for those who derive pleasure from abusing others - Various abuses and rights violations could go on for months or years before you even get a bail hearing.

*Remember: 'They' hate us because we are free ;-)

[edit on 2-2-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Im so glad you got ESP and know when someone reads something or not.

No, it's not ESP. It's seeing that you made a mistake with your facts about the article, that's how I know you didn't read it.

Im sure that as a responsible adult yourself...you would clearly see the point that the judge is trying to make with the case.

No, I have no idea what the judge was trying to do with a three month jail sentence. It's beyond logical thought.

So before you go on some high and mighty march of you know best...
In simpler terms...quit making mountians out of ant hills.

Do me a favour. When your child, or your friend's child does something wrong someday, like writing their name on a wall, let me know how hard you'll be fighting to keep them out of prison and how unfair you think it is.

I can't believe how utterly screwed the justice system continues to prove itself, when this 'ant hill' of a crime is going to destroy this girl. Some 'ant hills' are worth fighting for before they do turn into mountains that can't be stopped.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   

reply to post by RFBurns

Absolutly! and i'll add taht the public is sometimes outraged with a "harsh" decission made by a judge until their the victim then "it's on"
really who goes into a restaraunt and does this? or any other place for that matter.

Excuse me but its a kid, drawing on a brick wall, that already had graffiti on it in the first place!
Are you completely mentally insane or what?
She is out of jail on bail, pending an appeal that will of course NOT send her to jail.
If you have no record, its a first offense, this needs to be taken into account with sentencing.
Do you expect people to pay thousands of dollars of taxes to keep people in prison for minor stupid things?
Would you like them to increase taxes to 80% of your income, just to pay for jaywalkers?
People get good behavior bonds for breaking someones nose.
And this kid should do 3 months with no record?
I think you really need to get your head out of the clouds, and try to find what reality you have left.
Whats it going to be next, death by lethal injection for unpaid parking fines?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join