It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid In America - ATS's Most Important Thread

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
It's importatnt to understant the nature of the beast
dumbing you down!

I'm sure this video only scratches the surface
This is how and why stupid war-profiteers are in power

It's time to wake up America

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
UGGGHHhhhh John Stossel. This is not promising. I was disgusted with an environmental "special" he did in the past so I am not expecting anything great.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
well its true. im in highschool and the teachers don't even care if a student is failing. And it is getting worse. I have classes FULL of slackers. But we don't do much work in class so they still get decent grades. Yeap our "edumacation" system is down the toot already in public schools. one of my friends didn't even know where China was on a map.

[edit on 1/29/09 by MoothyKnight]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
This is the next step of Gentrification

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
the sad thing is that this report is 2005. Lets hope that it has gotten better since then. My kids are blessed with a great public school system, but I know about the not so great system just down the road. We did move to improve their education. I hope the type of schools portrayed in this documantary, are less than 50% of what is out there.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I had a friend announce, "Did you know that Thanksgiving falls on a Thursday this year?" To the non-US friends here, Thanksgiving is on a Thursday every single year. The same friend once told me, "Ann is a neurologist, so she isn't a medical doctor. I know she is some sort of doctor, just not a medical one."

This woman is a high school graduate and a certified nurses assistant.

I once had to explain to yet another high school graduate why he couldn't take a road trip from Michigan to England. Yeah- he was planning one.

Maybe we aren't getting dumber, but we sure aren't getting any smarter.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I saw this a couple of years ago and it is dead on.

Stikkinikki,
Was the "environmental special" you saw the one where he demolished the Global Warming myth? Good stuff.

John Stossel is one of my heroes. And finding a hero in journalism is pretty tough going.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MoothyKnight

You think not finding China is bad? How about college students that can't even find their own state on a map. My geography teacher says how she has a hand-full of students like that every year. Also, one of my neighbors (who is also a college student) thought Alaska was an island up until last year! You know how maps always picture Alaska and Hawaii off to the side of the continental U.S.? Yup, she thought it was floating right by Hawaii. (and yes, I know that islands don't float)

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

This is a job that only the H.N.I.C. can solve.

We need more "crazy" Joe's in the world.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by Doomsday 2029]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Schools were created to indoctrinate society. The traditional highschool curriculum was designed in the early 20th century, and has little value in our modern world.

What the schools need, is a federal change of the education curriculum.
Bill Gates actually has some good points regarding his suggestion of this.

In addition, thanks to Bush- and his policies (no child left behind) teachers spent most of their resources crash coaching students to pass the test- not retain and learn the information. I know this - because my mother is a teacher- and i have a friend who is a teacher in the system. In the late 90's it became apparant that kids were becoming too smart and could think for themselves. The government made changes within the school system, along with the media- including advertising and children's television programs which have retarded america's children.

There is nothing to be done unless you home teach your children. I am going to do this. No one will indoctrinate my child. Will you?

[edit on 29-1-2009 by xynephadyn]

[edit on 29-1-2009 by xynephadyn]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by killuminati2012
reply to post by MoothyKnight

You think not finding China is bad? How about college students that can't even find their own state on a map. My geography teacher says how she has a hand-full of students like that every year. Also, one of my neighbors (who is also a college student) thought Alaska was an island up until last year! You know how maps always picture Alaska and Hawaii off to the side of the continental U.S.? Yup, she thought it was floating right by Hawaii. (and yes, I know that islands don't float)

I once participated in a job fair convention and was at one of the booths for a local company. We had a globe sitting on the table, mostly just to have as a conversational piece. But I took it a bit further and used it as a testing tool for potential candidates.

The results were extremely shocking.

It turned out that 8 out of 10 college students who where there at the job fair could not show me where the state of Wyoming was!! Sometimes I would ask "ok show me where on this globe is the country USA". And I could not believe the look of "huh?" on their faces!!!!

Its a shame, a real drastic shame. This is basics that should have been learned by the 3rd grade and yet there were dozen's of college kids about to graduate who couldnt spot their own state or the country USA on the globe!!

Sad..very very sad.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
This is what americans think the world map looks like
click image for full view

Ignorances promotes....... everything big govt. wants to promote

[edit on 29-1-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I can only hope and pray it’s a generation X issue because the young bloods seem to be on the ball.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

That was greatness... And so true... And so sad.

America !!!! WE"RE NUMBER 1 !!! (I hate that kind of thought process).

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I don't think you can put ALL of the blame on the schools , I would put Most of the blame on the parents. I make sure I study with my kids and talk to them about what goes on in the world and why. Unfortunately I think alot of parents see school as an 8 hour reprive from parenting. We all have jobs and we all work insane hours and have stress... It's called LIFE. Your #1 priority should be doing the best that you can to raise a kid that's ready for the world , ask them what they learned today when they come home from school... engage them and talk to them not "At them"... most of all just listen to them.... they'll tell you everything if there is a trust and mutual respect.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Just joking around with a teenager the other day, I threw out the old corny, "what year was the war of 1812 fought"

The answer...."how in the hell should I know"

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
For all of you that want to see our future....rent the movie "Idiocracy"

This is my take on our species. We use to have Cro-Mags and other human type species and the Homosapiens either wiped them out or were smart enough to survive but even now we are divided. We have had smart gifted people who have given us great philosophy, art, and technology, while the rest of "mankind" developed like any other animal and today is no different....we have some seriously dumb creatures walking around looking like us....sadly....they are the majority...but they are not the ones in power for the most part. They never have been.

Schools to blame? no. just look at their parents. "hey honey grab me a beer but hurry, you don't want to miss our favorite reality t.v. show that is on tonight and at this time." I don't understand Eli Stone so I will watch Knight Rider instead. "Hey honey, Rush and O'Reilly told me that we are poor because those damn illegal terrorist are taking my job and all of our tax dollars ($4.37) are being spent on birth control for arab prostitutes."

These dumb people are just stupid animals and we can't be too harsh to them because they are the majority and natural selection has not been able to do its job because the smart humans have made all sorts of laws protecting their dumbarses...."hey honey, the warning on this bottle says that I can't take more than 2 of these pills in 8 hours....but my headache is so bad that if I take the whole bottle I should be pain free faster right?"

The sad thing is...that we have no choice....we have to take them along with us and of course it is going to retard our collective advancement.
It is easy to get pissed too because we have had to sacrifice alot of freedoms because of these retarded cousins of ours. Most of the laws on the books are for them but we have to follow them too.

the thread said "stupid in America" so I guess I should add....every Country has to deal with their retarded cousin too. We should have a special olympics for the worlds retarded humanoids. Ours would probably still make us proud.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Res Ipsa

Schools to blame? no. just look at their parents. "hey honey grab me a beer but hurry, you don't want to miss our favorite reality t.v. show that is on tonight and at this time." I don't understand Eli Stone so I will watch Knight Rider instead. "Hey honey, Rush and O'Reilly told me that we are poor because those damn illegal terrorist are taking my job and all of our tax dollars ($4.37) are being spent on birth control for arab prostitutes."

Thank you that is perfect that is so true and the funniest thing I've read all day.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I wouldn't be focused too much on people's lack of knowledge with certain subjects. I think the "dumbing down" is happening more on 2 other different levels a lot more.

Firstly, on a spiritual level. Anything to do with the "unknown", such as the spirit world itself tends to be ridiculed, while our occultist leaders keep all of this knowledge to themselves. They're very aware of this realm, and the beings that inhabit it, but don't want the masses to know anything about it. You be the judge as to why.

Secondly, I have noticed that many people have great difficulties in processing information that is provided to them. They're fine it taught "this is how it is", but when so many people ask "why is it that this is the case?", they never seem to be able to think about a possible answer to their own question, instead relying heavily on someone else to provide them with one. This, IMO, is because the part of the brain that processes information has been shut down. How many people do you know that insist they cannot learn to drive a 4 speed manual gearbox, claiming it is "too hard", when it is one of the most simple things to learn?

PS. That first video she is acting dumb, it's really obvious.

Miss South Carolina would make a great politician...

[edit on 29/1/09 by NuclearPaul]

[edit on 29/1/09 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
nooooooooooo.
I'm one of your retarded cousins!

I watched the youtube post with the "are you smarter than..."
and when asked about which continent was a country....I raced to rattle off the 7 and I came up with 6 before she rattled them off. I said to myself...."is Australia a continent"? it sounded familiar and I was one short and obviously it is a country....but I had doubt. We were taught about "Eurasia" as being one but I didn't think that made seven since it was just combining Europe and Asia and still that doesn't give you a country.....I think I might have just freaked out if I was in her shoes.

I am a retarded cousin and a third year law student....can I participate in the special olympics representing your humanoid cousins?

(((edit....admitting this was very hard so I want some of you to fess up to the most; "I can't believe I didn't know that" experience))))

I'll also add this....I never understood the Federalist papers before reading them because I thought Federalist were for strong States rights...but in the beginning they were for a strong federal government...so I was confused why Federalist were so gong ho about forming our Federal government.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by Res Ipsa]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join