It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Banned in Homes-California Adopts 'Hitler's Policy'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
These laws over smoking are going too far.. Our homes and our cars are the only places left to smoke guilt free, and actually enjoy our cigarettes. Businesses should be able to choose to be a smoking or non-smoking establishment. My state passed the smoking ban so I ended up going to a nearby state which hadn't to have dinner out., or get a drink and have a dance. I was able to enjoy a cigarette after dinner with a cup of coffee or night cap with one. That state passed the smoking ban, now we just order take-out and eat at home. Many business owners of restaurants and bars would prefer the smoking ban to be lifted. There are many things in this world that are dangerous to our lives, but are not illegal or banned. How do we stop this non-sense? Can government make all the decisions for us? Don't we have a say? I'll stay out of non-smoking places if they stay out of smoking places.. Should be easy for us all to get along.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by HeluvaStorm]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

Id like to clear up some confusion. You can own a condo and live in it!
I own my condo and also live in it, I dont rent it out. SO it is my home!
Not all condos are rented to others.
So I find this law oppressive.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DarrylGalasso

I have to just partially disagree with you, even though the rest of your post is spot on. I've actually seen smokers get together to protest a ban, but the problem is, it doesn't get any kind of media attention. If it does, it'll get just a quick mention. They'll focus on the anti smoking rally, but then give the smokers group just a tiny bit of attention as way way to balance it out I guess. But the anti smoking crowd did such a good job that when the smokers get together it is treated like a joke. It's the same thing if white people get together to protest racism, it would be treated like a joke and they'd be considered a white supremesist or member of the KKK (ok so most of the time it is those groups of whites that are seen protesting, but i'm not counting them they are a disgrace to humanity). Unfortunately, there isn't a balance for rights, it's always has to tip in favor of one side.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Where is our fellow member SUPERGIRL @ when this smokin issue pops up?
Where are you MAYRA?? I think thats her name?

This is so messed up it is LAUGHABLE.

What is California thinking right now? Esp with the state that they are in at this current moment?

I have had lots of respect for California over the years, but when I see stuff like this, it just shows me that the people arent doing enough to protect their own rights in that state.

I am in Las Vegas(your neighbor) and we will take you here, come on out and start something new! Lord knows its cheaper, and you can get great deals on homes right now due to all of the foreclosures in the past,..and to top it off..

We dont care if you smoke, hell smoke 5 packs a day for all we care,
Vegas is one of the last places of freedom in this country, And I am glad I am a part of that.

California- Get your #@#$ straight!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Sometimes laws are so stupid one has to take a stand. What I do in my home, is nobodys business and I dont care who or what tells me, My house is my castle and I will do what I want. This law pisses me off to no end, When are the sheep gonna wake up? One day I will wake up and this country will be a mirror image of nazi germany.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
read the fine print: The law does not make it illegal to smoke legally in your legal residence. What it requires is that dual or more homes apartments, etc. Have to be written into contract that it is forbidden in the dual or more residential home, etc.. that means that you will not be fined or arrested for smoking. No, that is clearly bypassed, so, you will simply be fined or arrested for violating your legal instrument. It's not a ban on legal smoking. It's a ban on legal smoking guised as a Breech of contract. it is a Breech of Contract Law.

It's how government works. You want money, you make this legal. It makes the localities surrender power to the States and the States surrender power to the Feds, who make treaties and InterNational Laws to surrender power to Global Communities.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
this is not good at all, so much for privacy in your OWN home. but really how will they know if your smoking in you own house?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by FerTheBetter

If you live in an apartment/condo and your nosy neighbor has a bug up their rear, they could turn you in by saying they smelled the smoke that came through their electrical outlets, walls, ventilation systems, doors, windows, etc.

If the poster above you is correct, and it is all about "Breach of Contract", then all they would have to do is report you to the landlord.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
In all actuality the more I think about this the more I think it might be a blessing in disguise.

California already cannot pay income tax returns and has started issuing IOU's, now they decide to do this.

If you think about it, these people could very well be doing us a favor. Think about this; the economy is in shambles, the government continues to give our tax dollars to those who caused the problem, 1 in ten people are out of work, homes are getting foreclosed like never before. The people are already stressed out like never in history. This might just be the thing that pushes them over the edge and something finally happens.

Personally I hope the government sticks by this and it gets the same media attention that banning smoking in public places got.

Every time these people push us, more people open their eyes. At some point enough people will have awakened that something can finally be accomplished.

Sometimes there is a silver lining.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
This is more than likely being done as a precaution for all those horrible parents who smoke in their homes when they have children who have no choice whether or not to breathe in their habit.

it's retarded to begin with because cigarettes should be completely illegal and banned. Smoking is the equivalent of committing suicide slowly. Suicide is illegal (funny but it is) so, so should smoking cigarettes.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
That's nothing in Sonoma county you cant even drink a beer in your own "fenced" in backyard. If a neighbor see's you and calls the police they will ARREST YOU! You cant even drink a beer in your garage or anywhere where you can be seen by anyone of the "public".
Although there are a lot of apartment complexes where you can't smoke at all on the entire property.You cant smoke pretty much anywhere in town; but they haven't said you cant smoke inside your home yet.
I am truly amazed more and more everyday with all of these laws they are coming up with. The newest ones were NOT on our ballot, but they became law anyway! Many of my neighbors are beginning to wonder who is passing them because we sure didn't vote on them.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
I wasn't a real good student in school, but I sure think I remember something in the constitution protecting the privacy very seriously in one's own home.

The problem is, people are too busy posting here and doing nothing rather then picking up the phone and calling their legislature about grievances. Get yourselves educated about the constitution. California is a proving ground for this kind of nazi crapola.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
Insane.

Smokers are now treated as less-than-human.

That is disgusting.

Smokers are disgusting...

But they should still be able to be so, at the very least in their own homes!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by arcnaver

Originally posted by interestedalways
I wasn't a real good student in school, but I sure think I remember something in the constitution protecting the privacy very seriously in one's own home.

The problem is, people are too busy posting here and doing nothing rather then picking up the phone and calling their legislature about grievances. Get yourselves educated about the constitution. California is a proving ground for this kind of nazi crapola.

I don't know...

In California it's legal to smoke weed in your home... but not tobacco? Seems a bit odd to me.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Maybe this law is to prevent fires, a quarter of which are caused by improperly discarded cigarettes?

Many apartments do not allow coal barbecues for this exact reason. The space is too cramped and too crowded for the hazard of an open flame.

Just my .02. And by the way, while I am anti-smoking, if this is not the reason, then I totally agree that the law is unfair and prohibitive of your right to use a legal substance in your own dwelling.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
reply to post by Mynaeris

It is our right. Tobacco products are legal. It isn't like we are breaking the law.

Smoking is not a right and everything that is legal is not always allowed under all circumstances.

In my apartment complex, we are not allowed to store anything considered to be of a hazardous nature, such as gun powder.

Owning gun powder is not against the law, but living in close quarters as we do, it is understandable that the complex owners would want to reduce the risks inherent in such materials.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

And, like I have said numerous times in this thread, if the owners of the buildings want to prohibit smoking in the lease, then that is fine.

The problem is the city council taking it upon itself to ban smoking in non-government owned, private, residential buildings where people pay to live.

Owners want to amend the lease agreements, fine.

City council arbitrarily decides to ban smoking in private residential buildings, not fine.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

We're in agreement on that.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by FerTheBetter
this is not good at all, so much for privacy in your OWN home. but really how will they know if your smoking in you own house?

The same way they know now. Your neighbour who is chocking and gaging on your second hand smoke will probably make a complaint, that they or their child is getting ill from second hand smoke.

I think they should build smoking rooms for smokers, but I agree with this ban. I don't want to infringe on the rights of smokers, but why should someones second hand smoke be allowed to ruin and destroy the health of another person?

If smoking was bad for the workplace, where people are only there eight hours a day, then what about smoking in homes?

I think it's hard because you don't want to ban peoples freedoms, but you don't want yours infringed upon.

Also what if your neighbour smokes crack or other drugs, and you don't want to get stoned? Even though those substances are banned, it's the same concept, many don't want to get sick or ill from tobacco.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by drock905

you have no idea how much I wish that too man. We all feel that way I think is because we see what is wrong in the world today and know what we would do to fix it in the past. Either that or we wish we could handle situations differently under different rules. I wish it too.

Referring to your "I wish I was born 100 years ago."

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join