It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What killed GM

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
its very simple just sell the cars cheaper then people will buy more...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Well, I have to agree. I cant say the unions are to blame though. The lazy union workers, sure. But all of them arent like that and its not fair to put them into the same bunch. I mean, can you honestly say that 100% of your time at work is productive? If its not then you really cant point a finger at any one else, ya know?

I worked in a steel mill here and know first hand about waiting three weeks for the electricians. But there were vaild reasons, namely the work that needed to be done on production lines. Since we werent production we had to wait.

Now get back to me about the corporate jets and compensation packages. The inferior products and to much managment. There in lies the problems.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Over the years I have worked for a number of Japanese companies... and all of them always followed these basic rules

1:Safety

2: Quality

3: Production

When you get the first 2 right production always follows naturally in an upwards trend.....

Quality leadership from a national perspective has changed over the past five to six decades. After the second world war, Japan decided to make quality improvement a national imperative as part of rebuilding their economy, and sought the help of Shewhart, Deming and Juran, amongst others. W. Edwards Deming championed Shewhart's ideas in Japan from 1950 onwards. He is probably best known for his management philosophy establishing quality, productivity, and competitive position. He has formulated 14 points of attention for managers, which are a high level abstraction of many of his deep insights. They should be interpreted by learning and understanding the deeper insights and include:

* Break down barriers between departments
* Management should learn their responsibilities, and take on leadership
* Improve constantly
* Institute a programme of education and self-improvement

In the 1950s and 1960s, Japanese goods were synonymous with cheapness and low quality, but over time their quality initiatives began to be successful, with Japan achieving very high levels of quality in products from the 1970s onward. For example, Japanese cars regularly top the J.D. Power customer satisfaction ratings. In the 1980s Deming was asked by Ford Motor Company to start a quality initiative after they realized that they were falling behind Japanese manufacturers. A number of highly successful quality initiatives have been invented by the Japanese (see for example on this page: Taguchi, QFD, Toyota Production System. Many of the methods not only provide techniques but also have associated quality culture aspects (i.e. people factors). These methods are now adopted by the same western countries that decades earlier derided Japanese methods.

Customers recognize that quality is an important attribute in products and services. Suppliers recognize that quality can be an important differentiator between their own offerings and those of competitors (quality differentiation is also called the quality gap). In the past two decades this quality gap has been greatly reduced between competitive products and services. This is partly due to the contracting (also called outsourcing) of manufacture to countries like India and China, as well internationalization of trade and competition. These countries amongst many others have raised their own standards of quality in order to meet International standards and customer demands. The ISO 9000 series of standards are probably the best known International standards for quality management.

Quality management

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
you should watch that doco 'who killed the electric car' very interesting, i laugh coz those idiots at gm will be kicking themselves now, or even better jumping out the highrise windows haha

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5b7040fc0d52.gif[/atsimg]

Do not think that you have taken a brand, think of it as, self-identification. But if one identifies with a Phoenix, then what? If one identifies with birds, and raptors and so on, what is the flip side of that coin?

Egyptians were fans of raptors, that is to say, birds of flight. Many of their characters are birds of different sizes and shapes. These would have been chiseled into stone such that from a young age a child would learn each bird and if they did not represent the characteristics of each bird correctly. Of course I did not live then, I am simply assuming it was so, from the remains not yet destroyed and those destroyed, yet not trampled under.

Now I am wondering how one would chisel something into the human brain, and what sort of edge that chisel would have. Also, which direction is the bird looking? Surely that would have been important on the Egyptian pink-slips of old.

Wait, does a pink slip refer to a car's title or a notice that you got laid off? I may be mixing my terms here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join