It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freq of electical grid causes cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
the freq of the electrical grid and thus all appliances hooked up to it is 60hz.

it does need to be at 60 hz,however 60hz is the exact carcinegic frequiency,in other words it causes cancer!

take a look,

Acute (2 h) exposure of rats to a 60 Hz magnetic field (flux densities 0.1, 0.25, and 0.5 mT) caused a dose-dependent increase in DNA strand breaks in brain cells of the animals (assayed by a microgel electrophoresis method at 4 h postexposure). An increase in single-strand DNA breaks was observed after exposure to magnetic fields of 0.1, 0.25, and 0.5 mT, whereas an increase in double-strand DNA breaks was observed at 0.25 and 0.5 mT. Because DNA strand breaks may affect cellular functions, lead to carcinogenesis and cell death, and be related to onset of neurodegenerative diseases, our data may have important implications for the possible health effects of exposure to 60 Hz magnetic fields.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
infoventures.com...

A 2-yr whole-body exposure study was conducted to evaluate the chronic toxicity and possible oncogenicity of 60 Hz (power frequency) magnetic fields in rats. Groups of 100 male and 100 female F344/N rats were exposed continuously to pure, linearly polarized, transient-free 60 Hz magnetic fields at flux densities of 0 Gauss (G) (sham control), 20 milligauss (mG), 2 G, and 10 G; an additional group of 100 male and 100 female F344/N rats received intermittent (1 hr on/1 hr off) exposure to 10 G fields. Mortality patterns, body weight gains throughout the study, and the total incidence and number of malignant and benign tumors in all groups exposed to magnetic fields were similar to those found in sex-matched sham controls. Statistically significant increases in the combined incidence of C-cell adenomas and carcinomas of the thyroid were seen in male rats chronically exposed to 20 mG and 2 G magnetic fields. These increases were not seen in male rats exposed continuously or intermittently to 10 G fields or in female rats at any magnetic field exposure level. No increases in the incidence of neoplasms, which have been identified in epidemiology studies as possible targets of magnetic field action (leukemia, breast cancer, and brain cancer), were found in any group exposed to magnetic fields. There was a decrease in leukemia in male rats exposed to 10 G intermittent fields. The occurrence of C-cell tumors at the 2 lower field intensities in male rats is interpreted as equivocal evidence of carcinogenicity

so what on earth is going on?,why is the exact freq of the power grid one that happens to cause cancer when other freq can be used?

this to me further indicates the depopulation agenda against humanity!!

my advice is to protect yourself from the harmfull em!,you can be prorection for tvs.monitors,mobile phones just about anything,or you could go further and get your own electrical supply with its own freq!

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by welivefortheson

I don't see any testing of any other frequencies. 60Hz was tested because that is our standard. Without testing there is no way of knowing if other frequencies are any more (or less) dangerous.

Experimental results vary (a bit):

Our results do not support the original conclusions: we did not see MF-inducible gene expression for field intensities and exposure durations investigated previously

infoventures.com...

Extensive testing using both coded and uncoded analyses was negative for an MF effect. Using the same exposure conditions as in the transformation studies, no MF-induced changes in ornithine decarboxylase expression were observed in C3H/10T1/2 cells, casting doubt on a promotional role of MF for the tested cells and experimental conditions.

www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov...

The results of the present studies demonstrate that exposure to EMF has no statistically significant effects on the expression of c-myc and a battery of other cancer-related genes in two in vitro human breast epithelial cell model systems. These results supplement a growing body of evidence (30–35) which suggests that alterations in oncogene or tumor suppressor gene expression are unlikely to be involved in a mechanism of EMF-induced cancer.

carcin.oxfordjournals.org...

BTW, mobile phones use AC power (0 Hz).

Oh, one more thing. It's nice to see you quoting scientific studies but can you explain why you left this part out of your second citation (and did not provide the source):

These data, when considered as a whole, are interpreted as indicating that chronic exposure to pure linearly polarized 60 Hz magnetic fields has little or no effect on cancer development in the F344/N rat.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

[edit on 1/9/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
i personally think any form of energy radiation can cause this effect

i am aware there is very little study to back that up, but its pretty obvious that radiation causes mutations and probable damage

just my hypothesis

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Why use nuclear power when sharp rises in cancer happen in areas surrounding the power plants?

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

theres no reason for the grid to be 60hz whatsoever,it could be 80hz,20hz it doesnt matter.

some scientific studies show a cancer risk others dont,as one of your links said,its a contraversial field,but the reason why 50-60hz fields effects upon the brain was classified in the 60's is somewhat an irking issue.

some do
www.skepticfiles.org...

An unexpected association was also observed for colon cancer, using geometric indexes of exposure, but no other association was seen for any other type of cancer. Our study indicates that electric fields may have a specific effect on the risk of brain tumor, and that this should be taken into account in future analyses on the carcinogenic effects of 50- to 60-Hz fields.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov... Plus

Measured magnetic fields under low power use conditions had a modest association with cancer incidence; a cutoff score of 2.0 milligauss resulted in an odds ratio of 1.4 (95% confidence interval (CI) = 0.6– 2.9)

aje.oxfordjournals.org...

Abstract: In this study we investigated whether a 60 Hz magnetic field can act at the cellular level to influence the growth of human estrogen-dependent breast cancer cells. Our experimental design assessed cell proliferation of a human breast cancer cell line, MCF-7, in the absence or the presence of melatonin which inhibits growth at a physiological concentration of 10-9 M. In three experiments, continuous exposure to average sinusoidal 60 Hz magnetic fields of 1.90 ± 0.01, 2.40 ± 0.70, and 2.53 ± 0.50 mG, or simultaneous exposure in matched incubators to average 60 Hz magnetic fields of 10.4 ± 2.12, 11.95 ± 2.73, and 11.95 ± 3.28 mG, respectively, had no effect on cell proliferation in the absence of melatonin. When MCF-7 cells were cultured in the presence of 10-9 M melatonin, an 18% inhibition of growth was observed for cells in a 2.40 ± 0.70 mG field. This effect was blocked by a 60 Hz magnetic field of 11.95 ± 2.75 mG. In a second experiment, a 27% inhibition of MCF-7 cell growth was observed for cells in a 2.53 ± 0.50 mG magnetic field, and this was blocked by a 60 Hz magnetic field of 11.95 ± 3.28 mG.
These results provide the first evidence that ELF frequency magnetic fields can act at the cellular level to enhance breast cancer cell proliferation by blocking melatonin's natural oncostatic action
. In addition, there appears to be a dose threshold between 2 and 12 mG. The mechanism(s) of action is unknown and may involve modulation of signal transduction events associated with melatonin's regulation of cell growth.

groups.google.com...

it appears as if the power(low or high gauss) of the magnetic field is crucial,low power seems to increase the cancer risk not high gauss ones.
it appears if 2.0milligauss is the cut off point for carcinogenesis.
i hope the studies done are using low G magnetic fields as therin lies the clue.

oh phage forgive me i ,mis qouted few lines nothing compared to misqouting and entire species history,let me re qoute the bit properly for us.

The occurrence of C-cell tumors at the 2 lower field intensities in male rats is interpreted as equivocal evidence of carcinogenicity; data from female rats provides no evidence of carcinogenicity in that sex. These data, when considered as a whole, are interpreted as indicating that chronic exposure to pure linearly polarized 60 Hz magnetic fields has little or no effect on cancer development in the F344/N rat.

thats kinda strange,males effected but females not!

[edit on 10-1-2009 by welivefortheson]

[edit on 10-1-2009 by welivefortheson]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
We had a very good friend who lived very close to high voltage power lines. His 7 year old son developed leukemia, and passed away. Doctors attributed it to the power lines.
Here is an external source that presents a study about it:
professional.cancerconsultants.com...

Children Living Near High Voltage Power Lines Have Increased Risk of Leukemia

Researchers from England have reported that children living within 200 meters of high voltage power lines have a 70% increased risk of developing leukemia. The details of this large case control study were published in the June 4, 2004, issue of The Lancet .[1]

Some early research suggested that exposure to electromagnetic fields through living next to high voltage power lines was a possible risk factor for developing childhood leukemia. However, more recent studies have failed to document an increased incidence of childhood acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL) in individuals living near power lines. The details of this report appeared in the June 6, 2005, issue of the British Medical Journal .[2]

The current study is the largest to examine the relationship between living close to high voltage power lines and the incidence of childhood leukemia. These researchers looked at the records of over 29,000 children between the ages of 0 and 14 years with cancer; including 9,700 with leukemia. They found that children who lived within 200 meters of high-voltage power lines had a 70% increased incidence of leukemia compared to individuals who lived more than 600 meters away. They also observed a 23% increased incidence in those living between 200 and 600 meters.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by welivefortheson

Your claim is that exposure to 60Hz magnetic fields causes cancer and that frequency may be deliberately being used as a means of population reduction. My point about the frequency is that the testing is only done in those ranges. Has 80Hz been tested vs 60Hz? Have the experimental results been any different? Why do you say that it is 60Hz alone that causes cancer?

Your first citation calls for more research and is not at all conclusive about MF induced cancer. It also involves subjects who are exposed to very high levels of MF for extended periods of time.

Your second citation calls for more research, showing the possibility of slight correlations but admitting imitations to the statistics which call into question the validity of the study.

The breast cancer study doesn't really show a direct relationship between MF and cancer but some sort of effect of MF on the ability of melatonin to regulate cell growth. Injected melatonin has been shown to inhibit the development of cancer in animals but relationship between natural levels of melatonin and its effect on malignancies is not really understood. Once again, the study is far from conclusive and encourages more research.

None of these studies get close to claiming that MF causes cancer, much less that any specific frequency has any more affect than any other. At best, virtually all studies into relationships between MF fields likely to be encountered by people on a daily basis and the incidence of cancer are inconclusive. In reality, they lean to a finding of no relationship.
www.greenfacts.org...

(Oh, I left out the first part of the quote because you had included it in your original post. I did, however, miss the part about no effect being found on female rats. I was remiss.)

[edit on 1/10/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

A young child dying of cancer is a terrible thing. I have a small daughter and the thought of losing her tears me apart.

This study has a few important limitations. First, case-control studies are by nature susceptible to sampling bias. In other words, the researchers may have selected control patients that lived further away from power lines by chance; another set of controls may have lived closer to the power lines than the case patients. Second, the researchers were not able to estimate or measure the magnetic field from the power lines, so the researchers could not know what level of magnetic fields the children were actually exposed to.

I suggest reading more about the study to help put it into perspective:

Even if proximity to high voltage power lines increased the risk of childhood leukemia as much as reported in this study, power lines would only be associated with about five of the 400 to 420 cases that occured in England and Wales each year.

healthlibrary.epnet.com...

Of course, If it were my daughter who was one of those five I wouldn't find much consolation it this. I also would not choose to live near high tension lines if it were avoidable.

The conclusions of the study:

There is an association between childhood leukaemia and proximity of home address at birth to high voltage power lines, and the apparent risk extends to a greater distance than would have been expected from previous studies. About 4% of children in England and Wales live within 600 m of high voltage lines at birth. If the association is causal, about 1% of childhood leukaemia in England and Wales would be attributable to these lines, though this estimate has considerable statistical uncertainty. There is no accepted biological mechanism to explain the epidemiological results; indeed, the relation may be due to chance or confounding.

www.bmj.com...

[edit on 1/10/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

its open to interpretation either side,whats most proved and evident is that 60hz accelerates the development of cancerous cellsa,and that 60hz does actually increase the risk of brain cancers and tumours.
60hz should not be the freq of the power network,i would advice folks to get thier own power generation system that does not resonate at 60hz.
or alternativly get your own free energy device which are actually in abundance but as usual they are supressed world wide and never mentioned in the mainstream what ever you try,its always ignored.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Here is another study which shows quite a positive correlation between 60-HZ and leukemia:
aje.oxfordjournals.org...

Leukemia following Occupational Exposure to 60-Hz Electric and Magnetic Fields among Ontario Electric Utility Workers Anthony B. Miller1,, Teresa To1, David A. Agnew2, Claus Wall1 and Lois M. Green2 1Department of Preventive Medicine and Biostatistics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada 2Health and Safety Services, Ontario Hydro, Toronto, Ontario, Canada Reprint requests to Dr. A. B. Miller, Department of Preventive Medicine and Biostatistics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, 12 Queens Park Crescent West, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8, Canada. In a nested case-control study of 1,484 cancer cases and 2,179 matched controls from a cohort of 31,543 Ontario Hydro male employees, the authors evaluated associations of cancer risk with electric field exposure and reevaluated the previously reported findings for magnetic fields. Pensioners were followed from January 1, 1970, and active workers (including those who left the corporation) from January 1, 1973, with both groups followed through December 31, 1988. Exposures to electric and magnetic fields and to potential occupational confounders were estimated through job exposure matrices. Odds ratios were elevated for hematopoietic malignancies with cumulative electric field exposure. After adjustment, the odds ratio for leukemia in the upper tertile was 4.45 (95% confidence interval (Cl) 1.01–19.7). Odds ratios were also elevated for acute nonlymphoid leukemia, acute myeloid leukemia, and chronic lymphoid leukemia. For cumulative magnetic field exposure, there were similar elevations that fell with adjustment. Evaluation of the combined effect of electric and magnetic fields for leukemia showed significant elevations of risk for high exposure to both, with a dose-response relation for increasing exposure to electric fields and an inconsistent effect for magnetic fields. There was some evidence of a nonsignificant association for brain cancer and benign brain tumors with magnetic fields. For lung cancer, the odds ratio for high exposure to electric and magnetic fields was 1.84 (95% Cl 0.69–4.94). Am J Epidemiol 1996; 144: 150–60. electromagnetic fields; leukemia; neoplasms; occupational diseases

The fact that electric utility workers were used, is very important, because of the high frequency of exposure, as opposed to more casual exposure of every-day non-workers.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Other frequencies were tested in the late 1800's and early 1900's as low as 25hz and as high as 80hz.

Article HERE.

60hz became the standard for many reasons, one of which allowed for syncronization of inductive electric motor clocks. Also the 60hz sine wave has better transfer characteristics in an inductive device, such as a transformer or inductive motor, than other frequencies tested.

I dont think that 60hz was purposely choosen because it just so happens to be a frequency that can cause DNA breakdown.

I believe that it is the EMF magnitude, or strength, that would cause the cancer problems and not necessarily the frequency.

Example, microwave energy emitted by radar systems can cause cancer if exposed to that energy long enough and at significant power levels. Even VLF energy can cause cancer if exposed to it long enough and at significant power levels.

Cheers!!!!!

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I cannot confirm nor deny the veracity of any of these studies. I do think it warrants more research.

But the reason I am posting is that a few people have mentioned setting up a power grid on something other than 60 Hz. You should be aware that all electrical appliances manufactured for the US (or for any country that uses 60 Hz) are manufactured for that specific frequency. Changing the frequency of the power input changes the effective inductance of the coils in the transformers and line filters and can cause an appliance to not work at all, work as though it were experiencing a 'brown-out', or actually cause irreparable damage to the appliance, up to and including creating a partial short to the new frequency and therefore a fire hazard!

DO NOT under any circumstances try setting up a different frequency unless you either have enough education in AC currents to understand the implications of what you are doing, have appliances specially designed to use the new frequency, or actually want to burn everything around you to the ground. This dependence on frequency can be seen by comparing the tolerances of the voltage (which can range from 90V RMS to 150V RMS) and the frequency (which is 60 Hz +/- 0.001 Hz) on the grid.

A much safer route would be to use magnetic shielding around as many power lines as possible.

TheRedneck

top topics

join