It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kerry praise's al-Sadr on NPR

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1
The truth is that al-Sadr in his newspaper(remember the big fuss about new freedom of the press) called for Israelis to get out of Iraq,the US to get out of Iraq,AND Terrorists to get out of Iraq.

Bremner interpreted this as insighting violence and shut down his newspaper.

When his supporters protested in a non violent way they were shot at.

This is the birth of the current uprising.

For shutting down a newspaper the US have lost the support of the Shi'as.

Demonising al-Sadr now is propaganda of Orwellian proportions and Hypocritical when the US is supporting Chalabi who is wanted for serious bank fraud in Jorden and has already been convicted.

I think this is a huge point. al-Sadr was formerly advocating peaceful demonstrations. We fired on those demonstrations and killed people.

He is looked on favorably by many of the people of Iraq, so he has stepped forward and acted on the wishes of those people. This man worked with the authority in the beginning.. we gave him the legitimate voice by letting his gang police the south. Now he is using that voice. Just like Bin Laden, just like Saddam, just like Pinochet... etc.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Sadr's news paper was also claiming the US coalition missiles were responsible for Iraqi deaths when it was actually insurgent car bombs...hence the lies. So the paper was closed down for 60 days by Bremer. But, this is just what I have heard - I doubt anyone here can say with certainty what exactly has been published in Sadr�s al-Hawzah. I'd like to know myself.

Plus, I thought this guy was a rival of ayatollah Sistani � who is much, much more powerful than Sadr.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Let's say Sadr's paper was lying about deaths, saying it was the coalition, instead of insurgents, causing them. Do you shut it down or let his followers believe the lies, which will lead to violence against the coalition and Iraqi forces? Just asking. I think in the long run shutting the paper down (for 60 days) was the right thing to do. And, al jazeera, I am sure, didn't like the competition anyway.

Still, don't papers in Europe get shut down for stuff like 'crimes of thought'? And, I know JB has mentioned gag laws in the UK from when that big soccer scandal came out. Not to mention what Putin has done with Russia's press. Point is, I can't read, with a straight face, that this is somehow an attack on Iraqs freedom of press.

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by Bob88]

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1
Sorry Bob.I'm only quoting you because it defines the position exactly.

al-Sadr is a legitimate voice and the above is the propaganda that is being used to give credence to the current US position.

I'm surprised and delighted that Kerry is speaking out.

The truth is that al-Sadr in his newspaper(remember the big fuss about new freedom of the press) called for Israelis to get out of Iraq,the US to get out of Iraq,AND Terrorists to get out of Iraq.

Bremner interpreted this as insighting violence and shut down his newspaper.

When his supporters protested in a non violent way they were shot at.

This is the birth of the current uprising.

For shutting down a newspaper the US have lost the support of the Shi'as.

Demonising al-Sadr now is propaganda of Orwellian proportions and Hypocritical when the US is supporting Chalabi who is wanted for serious bank fraud in Jorden and has already been convicted.

Phoenix please, NewsMax is a Far Right Wing Propaganda Mill, nothing more & nothing near legitimate. You do nothing but advance ignorance every time you source it.
I was suprised ( though it was too close for comfort to the ad selling the "USS Goerge Bush fleece pull over" ) that they didn't attempt to doctor this Kerry statement from that same interview:
"If all we do is make war against the Iraqi people and continue an American occupation, fundamentally, without a clarity as to who and how sovereignty is being turned over, we have a very serious problem for the long run here," Kerry added. "And I think this administration is just walking dead center down into that trap."

But, I think reasoned thought gets lost from view on any page selling Ann Coulter's latest piece of $hit.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
what kerry actually meant by "legitimate" voice was that every1 deserves the right to free speech. by shutting down his newspaper, the U.S took away one of the basic rights that almost every1 desires.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
What can you expect? Kerry's biggest supporter is a bridge-diving Democratric Drunk from Mass.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join