It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
(visit the link for the full news article)
The defense establishment on Tuesday said it would recommend that Prime Minister Ehud Olmert seek out a diplomatic initiative to abate the war against Hamas and embark on a 48-hour truce, before it becomes necessary to begin a significant ground invasion of the Gaza Strip.
Senior defense officials believe that such a diplomatic process need not be a unilateral Israeli procedure, but should rather be based on an initiative originally proposed by French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner.
JERUSALEM, Dec 30 (Reuters) - Israel would consider suspending its offensive in the Gaza Strip to allow in humanitarian aid, but would need assurances that Hamas would hold fire too, an Israeli cabinet minister said on Tuesday.
France has broached a humanitarian truce for Gaza as part of international efforts to stem the bloodshed from an air strike campaign Israel launched on Saturday with the stated aim of stopping rocket salvoes by Hamas and other Palestinian factions.
Defense establishment to recommend pause in Gaza op Security officials suggest National Security Cabinet explores 48-hour interval in fighting in Strip in bid to assess Hamas' future intentions. 'We will hold fire only when it suits us,' says Hamas source
Officials in the defense establishment denied on Tuesday evening reports that they had recommend to Prime Minister Ehud Olmert to suspend military operations for 48 hours and during that time to review the number of possible ceasefire resolutions for the conflict in Gaza.
Earlier it was reported the defense establishment recommended Israel will use the suspension of operations to carefully study Hamas's intentions, whether the group was planning to escalate the violence by renewing attacks inside the country or to stop its rocket attacks against the South altogether.
It was possible that Operation Cast Lead, the massive bombardment since Saturday of Hamas targets in the Gaza Strip, had already made clear to Hamas that the "rules of the game" had changed and that Israel will no longer tolerate rocket fire against its civilians.
A commentator on Israel's Channel 10 said Defense Minister Ehud Barak and IDF Chief of General Staff Gabi Ashkenazi both supported the initiative to suspend action for 48 hours.
The IDF spokesperson denied recommending a temporary ceasefire.
Originally posted by masonwatcher
reply to post by JanusFIN
No. This is not a positive situation but a public relations pause. The land invasion is on the cards and inevitable. What they are seeking is a figleaf for the continuation of the assualt.
Basically the truce will entail impossible terms designed to be refused such as a list of names given Hamas and a demand for selected Gazans to be handed over to Israel. Non-compliance will be propagandised as further evidence of Hamas' harbouring of Israeli declared 'terrorists' and a commencement of bombardment and ground forces attacks against the refugee camp.
During this lull, Israel airplanes will survey Gaza and do more target selections in anticipation of the resumption of war. Thermal imaging systems, US satellite telemetry will be employed with the smoke free skies to search out bunkers and underground shelter for destruction.
Israel has tasted blood and it will not be satiated until its munitions run out like in the 2006 israeli invasion of the Lebanon.
Originally posted by ModernAcademia
interesting link above
watch out for them, they surely will be here
wake up people!
Originally posted by dooper
By not going in hard, Israel is just postponing the inevitable.