It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel Defense Establishment To Recommend 48-hour Truce With Hamas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Israel Defense Establishment To Recommend 48-hour Truce With Hamas

www.haaretz.com

The defense establishment on Tuesday said it would recommend that Prime Minister Ehud Olmert seek out a diplomatic initiative to abate the war against Hamas and embark on a 48-hour truce, before it becomes necessary to begin a significant ground invasion of the Gaza Strip.

Senior defense officials believe that such a diplomatic process need not be a unilateral Israeli procedure, but should rather be based on an initiative originally proposed by French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Wow!!!

Truce really is needed! No matter from who, or by who... 48 hours can make a great difference, and something what is most needed there now...

I think all of us can agreed on this?

Egypt should open the border to people to get out from Gaza, or Israel should show some place for them to gather to secure, who will not to go fight against Israel attack... That is basic rules of engagement!

Those who will stay and fight, they will choose their fate. Then, ok, attack and defend, same to me, but attack to Gaza without giving civilians chance to retreat from zone, its against all international laws and humanism.

Lets hope that truce will take its place soon, and aid to Gaza will get in soon as possible.

There is still hope.

www.haaretz.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-12-2008 by JanusFIN]

[edit on 30-12-2008 by JanusFIN]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Israel open to humanitarian truce in Gaza-minister

JERUSALEM, Dec 30 (Reuters) - Israel would consider suspending its offensive in the Gaza Strip to allow in humanitarian aid, but would need assurances that Hamas would hold fire too, an Israeli cabinet minister said on Tuesday.

France has broached a humanitarian truce for Gaza as part of international efforts to stem the bloodshed from an air strike campaign Israel launched on Saturday with the stated aim of stopping rocket salvoes by Hamas and other Palestinian factions.

www.alertnet.org...

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

It makes one wonder if all the individual groups in Gaza can be stopped in attacking Israel. Good to see something is being tried to stop the carnage from both sides.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Defense establishment to recommend pause in Gaza op

Defense establishment to recommend pause in Gaza op Security officials suggest National Security Cabinet explores 48-hour interval in fighting in Strip in bid to assess Hamas' future intentions. 'We will hold fire only when it suits us,' says Hamas source

www.ynetnews.com...

- Should suit now... It would be full madness to say "no."

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   

No. This is not a positive situation but a public relations pause. The land invasion is on the cards and inevitable. What they are seeking is a figleaf for the continuation of the assualt.

Basically the truce will entail impossible terms designed to be refused such as a list of names given Hamas and a demand for selected Gazans to be handed over to Israel. Non-compliance will be propagandised as further evidence of Hamas' harbouring of Israeli declared 'terrorists' and a commencement of bombardment and ground forces attacks against the refugee camp.

During this lull, Israel airplanes will survey Gaza and do more target selections in anticipation of the resumption of war. Thermal imaging systems, US satellite telemetry will be employed with the smoke free skies to search out bunkers and underground shelter for destruction.

Israel has tasted blood and it will not be satiated until its munitions run out like in the 2006 israeli invasion of the Lebanon.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

I see your point... But thats only from military point of view.

Cease fire is very needed for getting civilians, and hundreds of wounded out. This operation was started without direct warning, and thats why it was many ways against international laws - Also lull was asked just before attack by aggressor, by UN.

War is war, and there is not much rules in that, but basics we all should respect, and that is to pull civilians out from battle zones, or give them secured passage out from line of fire before battle... Those who choose to stay, will know their possible faith.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Not so fast... Israeli operation oiled media machine is tilting badly...

IDF denies recommending to suspend Gaza op for 48 hours

Officials in the defense establishment denied on Tuesday evening reports that they had recommend to Prime Minister Ehud Olmert to suspend military operations for 48 hours and during that time to review the number of possible ceasefire resolutions for the conflict in Gaza.

Earlier it was reported the defense establishment recommended Israel will use the suspension of operations to carefully study Hamas's intentions, whether the group was planning to escalate the violence by renewing attacks inside the country or to stop its rocket attacks against the South altogether.

It was possible that Operation Cast Lead, the massive bombardment since Saturday of Hamas targets in the Gaza Strip, had already made clear to Hamas that the "rules of the game" had changed and that Israel will no longer tolerate rocket fire against its civilians.

A commentator on Israel's Channel 10 said Defense Minister Ehud Barak and IDF Chief of General Staff Gabi Ashkenazi both supported the initiative to suspend action for 48 hours.

The IDF spokesperson denied recommending a temporary ceasefire.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
It is probably a plan to get people to together in gaza so they can blow them again. The people they want to kill are probably dispered all over the place, and they probably want these people to group together so they can kill them.

I would not believe anything said by these people if i was any of you.

Truce, duhhh, how many are dead now, after this massacre(remember this is not a war).

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

I agree, it would be foolish to believe in any truce from Israel, and that actually applies to Hamas as well. One side will kill one from the other side, resulting in continued bloodshed.

Nothing but a PR move, if its even true, which I'm doubting.

Of course, how could the message get out to everyone in a country when the people are eating dirt and grass? How would every member know that when an Israeli walks up to them that they still aren't at war and need to kill them before they themselves are killed? Then the excuse goes out for more bloodshed. How perversely perfect for both sides who seem to thrive on the blood of their people.

How perversely perfect for other nation's war corporations who can continue to make huge profits selling arms.

Disgusting.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by masonwatcher

No. This is not a positive situation but a public relations pause. The land invasion is on the cards and inevitable. What they are seeking is a figleaf for the continuation of the assualt.

Basically the truce will entail impossible terms designed to be refused such as a list of names given Hamas and a demand for selected Gazans to be handed over to Israel. Non-compliance will be propagandised as further evidence of Hamas' harbouring of Israeli declared 'terrorists' and a commencement of bombardment and ground forces attacks against the refugee camp.

During this lull, Israel airplanes will survey Gaza and do more target selections in anticipation of the resumption of war. Thermal imaging systems, US satellite telemetry will be employed with the smoke free skies to search out bunkers and underground shelter for destruction.

Israel has tasted blood and it will not be satiated until its munitions run out like in the 2006 israeli invasion of the Lebanon.

A very valid point masonwatcher, you took the words right out of my mouth.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
www.timesonline.co.uk...

interesting link above
watch out for them, they surely will be here

wake up people!

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
www.timesonline.co.uk...

interesting link above
watch out for them, they surely will be here

wake up people!

I think most people with common sense knew this was occurring. In fact Ill even go on a limb and say for sure it is happening here. You should start a thread of its own in this subject. Star for you.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Do you see how less this thread gets attention, because its about possible truce, even its very breaking news?

Seems like saving civilians is just in few members interest.

I have think about that, did you see how many times I had to pump this thread up, before I get this little attention?

Maybe I could point couple of names right away... I had to ignore couple of trollers my self, because they really poisons couple of good discussions I had, with their insults and interference.

100% sure they are here, and numbers of them. I have kept many threads active from the same minute operation in Gaza begun, and there is so many dedicated trollers around here, challenging us to worthless Yes-No battle, poisoning threats, that they really have some progress too...

Without anything to say, they comment everything with pro-Israel attitude.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
oh yes I agree with both of you above me
there are many of those here on ATS

i've seen too many such people
some of them pretend to be from UK

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
[Egypt should open the border to people to get out from Gaza, or Israel should show some place for them to gather to secure, who will not to go fight against Israel attack... That is basic rules of engagement!]

That would be one of the main objectives: to get Hamas out, and allow for Israel to take over the land in their vacuum. What wealthy Zionist wouldn't pay a premium to have land that their 'Ancestors' ( a dubious claim at that too) trod on since the early days of Judaism.

Either kill 'em or make 'em leave, that's the ultimate goal of the Zionists.

I hope Palestinians hang in there until the end, because most people are with them anyway.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
By not going in hard, Israel is just postponing the inevitable. Besides, there's always one idiot that doesn't get the word. And then there's other idiots who don't give a tinker's damn, and will launch a few rockets just for the hell of it.

I think it's a mistake, but it's their business. So far, trying peace hasn't worked out too well for the Israelis.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
By not going in hard, Israel is just postponing the inevitable.

I wish to leave 2 facts for consideration:
1. The equivalent of $7 million of US taxpayer money is being given to Israel every day in the form of foreign aid
2. Israel's response to Hamas is the equivalent of "you stepped on my toe with your worn out sandal so that means I have the right to blow your head off with my brand new super duper shotgun" .

IMHO, based on these two facts alone, it is no wonder the level of hatred for the American government is so high in the Arab world and regardless of what our leaders say, there will never be a justification for this kind of overreaction by the Israelis. One wonders how starving them (the people of Gaza) to death, denying them medical care, restriction of travel, disrespecting/disregarding private ownership rights, etc didn't factor into that "punishment of all for the actions of a few" picture....

Maybe sir if you were blockaded you would do the same and send off a few rockets as well.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Hamas vows to hit Israel harder
The armed wing of Hamas has vowed to send rockets deeper into Israel than ever before if the latter continued its deadly bombardment of the Gaza Strip.........

News Link

top topics

join