It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would You Consider These Familiar Logos and Images Subliminal Programming or Propaganda??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by RichardMonk
...I can't guarantee that I'll find anything.

Which is why I'm still here. If you said, "I guarantee I'll find something", little red flags would go up. But even though I haven't been "convinced" so-to-speak, I found the way you argued your point-of-view more substancial than what you posted as evidence.

So I'm interested in what you might find - and may even consider hidden symmetry next time I eyeball something suspiciously.

I may not be the best person for this type of thing. I'm somewhat dichotic (is that a word?) when it comes to advertising. I work in graphic design, mostly creating logos and illustrations for local bands and clubs. Other stuff too, but that's my preferred clientel. The dichotomy lies in that for all my life, I could see a commercial and tell you everything about it but what it was trying to sell me.

I've thought about posting a thread about that before, actually. At age five I was told I had a 'photographic memory'. If that's true, it's a selective photographic memory then, because it seems that I've always been resistant to any kind of 'programming'. Unless I'm trying to teach myself how to do something, I will shut out anything that repeats itself or flashes in neon as 'just garbage'.

I'm sure a lot of folks here are the same way - when browsing the web, even here on ATS, I have a natural filter that just seems to hide the ads from me. Oh, I might notice a striking image or design, which might even influence my own work - but I won't acknowledge the company or product. And it's not working on a subliminal level either - I'm too aware of those techniques.

If I consciously try to, I can retain as much of the info as I want, down to the smallest detail - but it's just that: I have to make a conscious effort, and that's not what the advertisers want. They're constantly trying to come up with new ways to reach whatever percentage of the population is 'unreachable'.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teratoma

If I consciously try to, I can retain as much of the info as I want, down to the smallest detail - but it's just that: I have to make a conscious effort, and that's not what the advertisers want. They're constantly trying to come up with new ways to reach whatever percentage of the population is 'unreachable'.

I would tend to agree that conscious effort needs to be minimal for the effect to easily 'sink in', however there is more than one idea behind this. The need to buy is one way to look at things I will post a few sexually suggestive ads shortly. Fear and objectification come to mind as other reasons for this as well. Like in the John Carpenter Flick "They Live"...

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by RichardMonk

Well, though I'm reluctant to draw attention what now feels slightly like "ATS discussion as book promotion" -- it turns out there's to be a forthcoming book ...

OP as author?

... scheduled to come out in 2009.

Howdaya like that?

Richard, you shameless little devil!

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I'm glad you noticed the book. I hadn't mentioned it until you said something. Thanks for plugging my book!!

Mod Note: You Have An Urgent U2U- Click Here.

[edit on 29/12/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Sandalfon

That publisher doesn't come up in google. Vanity publishing, Richard?

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Thread closed...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join