It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Driving east? Not a good idea as the prodominate winds all go that way.

Florida affected? read the info or do some research If Yellowstone goes we all go.

Just some blips in the earths crust. This is normal. Just take a look at USGS and see the Cali and Alaska coasts. If they stop having quakes then be concerned.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bl0rg
yellowstone? damn doesn't it sit on a 70km caldera?

you have heard of a super eruption before right? Yellowstone is gonna go off, we just dont know. There will be MASSIVE destruction to the planet. Youtube super volcano youll see what i mean.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by trusername

Hi Neighbor... I'm down a bit on the Monterey Bay and this morning the birds did not sing until 2 hours after the normal time.. I, too, noticed last night how calm it was. I even got out my 'bag' in case it was time to 'survive', but so far this morning all is well !!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
MAP 2.6 2008/12/28 18:35:04 39.352 -123.615 4.0 NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

can somebody explain to me why the clock says 18:35:04? when it's only 10:49 am here in san francisco and this is UTC right - not 8 hours ahead of PST

am I missing something? is someone typing this in - shouldn't it be automized - is it tampered with? of course this a conspiracy site - lets go with that

MAG UTC DATE-TIME
y/m/d h:m:s LAT
deg LON
deg DEPTH
km Region

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 12/28/2008 by trusername]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Shrukin89

Plus

the DNA bank
www.astrobio.net...

Scientist seem to be going back to the theory of a volcanic eruption killing off the Dinosaurs,
feww.wordpress.com...

volcanism more likely caused K-T extinction; not asteroid impact

the gods are angry

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I think that some here are giving in to the fear monster a bit. Yes Yellowstone is a supervolcano and yes it is seismically active, and yes it could erupt but just a few minutes of reading can help us understand that there are many telltales leading up to an eruption.

General principles of volcano seismology

Seismic activity (earthquakes and tremors) always occurs as volcanoes awaken and prepare to erupt and are a very important link to eruptions. Some volcanoes normally have continuing low-level seismic activity, but an increase may signal a greater likelihood of an eruption. The types of earthquakes that occur and where they start and end are also key signs. Volcanic seismicity has three major forms: short-period earthquake, long-period earthquake, and harmonic tremor.

* Short-period earthquakes are like normal fault-generated earthquakes. They are caused by the fracturing of brittle rock as magma forces its way upward. These short-period earthquakes signify the growth of a magma body near the surface and are known as 'A' waves. These type of seismic events are often also referred to as Volcano-Tectonic (or VT) events or earthquakes.

* Long-period earthquakes are believed to indicate increased gas pressure in a volcano's plumbing system. They are similar to the clanging sometimes heard in a house's plumbing system, which is known as "water hammer". These oscillations are the equivalent of acoustic vibrations in a chamber, in the context of magma chambers within the volcanic dome and are known as 'B' waves. These are also known as resonance waves and long period resonance events.

* Harmonic tremors are often the result of magma pushing against the overlying rock below the surface. They can sometimes be strong enough to be felt as humming or buzzing by people and animals, hence the name.

Patterns of seismicity are complex and often difficult to interpret; however, increasing seismic activity is a good indicator of increasing eruption risk, especially if long-period events become dominant and episodes of harmonic tremor appear.

Using a similar method, researchers can detect volcanic eruptions by monitoring infra-sound—sub-audible sound below 20Hz. The IMS Global Infrasound Network, originally set up to verify compliance with nuclear test ban treaties, has 60 stations around the world that work to detect and locate erupting volcanoes.

So earthquakes are happening here but they are diagnosed closely by vulcanolgists as would a doctor closely monitor a patients symptoms in order to clarify exactly what is happening inside a patient.

If you take a look at the wiki on Prediction of volcanic activity you will get a better understanding of what happens and how seismologists and vulcanologists monitor the changes underground in order to predict volcanic eruptions.

The above paragraph I quoted is from this wiki Is there reason to worry? Of course, but not yet I think. Be prepared is the only advice I can see that would be a sound course of action.

There are many signs that can precede an eruption and I don't think that this swarm should be cause for concern, yet. Fascinating to see and understand our Planet is alive and deadly.

Krakatoa is another volcanic eruption to take a better look at, as well as Mt.StHelens. I took the wife and kids to see Helens 2 yrs ago and it is just freakin crazy the amount of energy released in one instant, they had a really nice museum on johnston ridge right across from the volcano and a great presentation that showed what led up to the eruption.

Most telling was not only the seismic swarms but the intense Ground Swelling that took place. Something like 5 to 6 feet in a relatively short period of time.

Be prepared. Make sure if you live near that beast you have a plan, but don't go running around saying the sky is falling yet. I would bet the USGS keeps a close tabs on it.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose
reply to post by lernmore

Do you know if Florida would be harmed if Yellowstone erupts?
Would people in Florida die if this happens?

Any guess here would most assuredly go beyond my knowledge of the way these things work, but I suspect you won't be needing to stock up on sunscreen.

Peace

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Small quakes are debated as being good or not at relieving stress for a larger earthquake. This is mainly because how much an earthquake scales in power for each step up the scale. Those small grinds of the plates could be what releases the tension or it could be what causes a bigger slip and a larger earthquake.

Either way I wouldn't lose sleep. Just try and be prepared for what ever you can and when something happens you have done all that you could.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Springheel Jack

You can read all the literature you want to on super-volcanoes, the bad news is... all that you read is THEORY.

Man has never experienced a super-volcano, so we have no idea what would be the symptoms if it was going to happen. So if conjecture and theory makes you feel better, more power to you.

I say we just watch the area, and see what happens (hopefully nothing).

Still waiting for some seismology friends to get back to me with further readings of the area.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
this is very strange see all the volcanic activity going on

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Yellowstone is on top of a super volcano and a massive magma bubble. You might want to get used to this there. Changes and seismic activity will not change, and will increase until it blows completely, tomorrow or in a thousand years. We cannot actually know.

In my opinion we are going to see much more radical increases in surface temperature, surface elevation rises and seismic activity before the danger is highest.

Of course the final eventual massive eruption taking out a major portion of a couple states and darkening sky and depositing smothering gasses and ash for millions of square mules in sometimes 10-20 feet high fall could happen tomorrow too.

Please walk calmly to the exit and away from the danger.

ZG

[edit on 12/28/2008 by ZeroGhost]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I also saw a documentary on this Yellowstone Caldera, put it this way if this thing goes up we won´t have to worry about the economy anymore.

Heres a vid I found

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by cmaracing

I don't know if that is an unusually long list of "active volcanos"

but this is a great site - thanks for the link!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by blujay

Hi blujay - glad to hear you noticed it too -

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
...and this one just hit as well. I have noticed certain quakes rising in mag over the course of the day - more often as well - off coast of Oregon did this not long ago.

reply to post by TrueAmerican

Link

Magnitude 2.6
Date-Time

* Sunday, December 28, 2008 at 19:32:15 UTC
* Sunday, December 28, 2008 at 12:32:15 PM at epicenter

Location 44.511°N, 110.352°W
Depth 0.3 km (~0.2 mile) (poorly constrained)
Region YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, WYOMING
Distances

* 62 km (39 miles) ESE (106°) from West Yellowstone, MT
* 65 km (40 miles) SSE (154°) from Gardiner, MT
* 65 km (40 miles) SSW (210°) from Cooke City-Silver Gate, MT
* 436 km (271 miles) NNE (16°) from Salt Lake City, UT

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.8 km (0.5 miles); depth +/- 15.9 km (9.9 miles)
Parameters NST= 32, Nph= 32, Dmin=7 km, Rmss=0.54 sec, Gp= 65°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=1
Source

* University of Utah Seismograph Stations

Event ID uu00002481

[edit on 12/28/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Just now:

Another one @ 2.6

2.6 2008/12/28 12:32:15 44.511N 110.352W 0.3 62 km (39 mi) ESE

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
another 2.6 just occurred same exact spot right under Yellowstone lake, at .3 depth. Clearly something is agitated in a very concentrated spot under the lake.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
First- it would depend on the prevailing wind. That would determine where the first bit of ash and debris went. But soon, it would spread throughout our atmosphere and block out the suns warming rays. Our planets temp would drop dramatically and we would be in for a dark future. It would be a planet wide problem, not just the US.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

If the sizes of those quakes start to jump to above 5 and keep steady with how it has been the past 30 hours... we should worry.

For now, hopefully its just a bit of "holiday gas".

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by trusername

This is going to sound ridiculous - but here in San Francisco last night it was eerily quiet. Absolutely no wind or fog. The water was so calm you could see all the lights on the Bay which is really unusual. And no animal sounds - I live up on Twin Peaks and we can hear all the sounds of the city usually - it was a Saturday night and when I got out of my car the silence hit me. So much that when I came up stairs I told my family to go outside and see how weird and quiet it was. Extremely little traffic in our view for a Saturday, holiday night too.

It's cold here though - not what we call earth quake weather - and many say that's not a true indicator either.

There are a lot of birds and animals around where we live, crows, flocks of wild abandoned parrots, mockingbirds, not a peep. My cat on the other hand won't shut up.

Anyone else seeing odd animal reactions anywhere?

Yes. I live in WV and it was super quiet here too and unusually warm. High winds today but most has past now. I did comment on the quietness last night. Lots of wildlife and it was eeriely quiet.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join