It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

101 and Losing Her Home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   

101 and Losing Her Home

www.syracuse.com

Mamie Singleton, 101, and her granddaughter, Mary Reaves, 56, are being evicted from their home of 45 years.

They received a notice last week from Syracuse police Chief Gary Miguel, giving them five days to leave their two-family house at 114 Baker Ave. They were supposed to move out by Christmas Eve.

The property is being closed for six months under the city's nuisance abatement law because of drug arrests at the house, Miguel said.

The women's lawyer, Randi Bianco, appealed for an emergency stay to halt the proceedings until after the holidays and Onondaga County Judge Anthony Aloi granted the request Tuesday, moving back the case until Jan. 5.

"I certainly wasn't going to take the chance that someone her age would be put out on the street at Christmas," Aloi said. "It just didn't set well with me. I'd rather play Santa Claus than Scrooge."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I thought the whole thing about the city "closing properties" sounds highly unconstitutional. Where's the uproar about these kind of actions by cities?
I would think the community would be protesting in the streets. A drug dealer points his gun at police and gets shot, folks protest, a 101 yo women is being kicked out of her own home, not for something she did, but something someone else did. It seems like the world has gone loopey.

www.syracuse.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Tinman67

You're absolutely correct this is ridiculous... Goes to show you how "asleep" our countrymen still are.

Although to play Devil's advocate, maybe they didn't know she was being evicted? I mean she is 101... I don't know her physical/mental condition, but I would assume that she doesn't leave the house often. So perhaps they don't even know she exists?

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
So the home, in view of drug arrests, is going to Police Auction under proceeds of crime or RICO? She's 100?

Give me a break. What kind of people allow this to happen in thier neighbourhood without a protest?

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I can understand the law wanting to hold parents responsible for what their young children do, but that is not what is happening in this case.
The woman is 101 and the criminal is an adult nephew who "visits occasionally". Surely there has to be some other way to deal with the issue. Putting people out of their home is barbaric, no matter what time of the year.
This is just one more case of the heavy hand of the law -- getting all too frequent, and yes, why is America putting up with it?
I hope that this case gets turned upside down and the woman and her granddaughter get to stay.
It looks to me like they could use a little help from their community as well, to keep the nephew out of the picture.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
What grinds me is that she, the old lady, is not the problem. The nephew was.

It's like me losing my car because my drunk nephew was in it.

Where's the ACLU when they really should be doing something worthwhile???

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Tinman67

From what I've read of the article...it seems to me that the city is just grasping at straws to make themselves look useful, and they're doing a horrible job of it.

You're correct. The nephew was arrested and they're punishing this woman and her grand daughter. "Guild by association" (which imo is a phrase that should never be allowed to condemn people EVER), yet in this case they aren't using common sense.

What irks me is that they were set to move out Christmas Eve, I know for white Americans they celebrate Christmas Day, so Eve might not be such a big deal to them, but down here it's Noche Buena (Good Night) that we celebrate and open gifts, so it seems rather cruel.....top it off it must be freezing!

It really gets on my nerves when people show absolutely no common sense or sympathy.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by whiteraven
So the home, in view of drug arrests, is going to Police Auction under proceeds of crime or RICO? She's 100?.

No. Read the entire article.

The property is being closed for six months under the city's nuisance abatement law because of drug arrests at the house, Miguel said.

"The city doesn't seize the property," he said. "They're just saying that we're not going to let this operation continue at this place. We are trying to disrupt the drug business there."

Because of her age, police may involve the Onondaga County Department of Social Services to ensure she has an appropriate place to live during the six months the property is boarded up.

I'm not agreeing with it, I think its horrible, but it's not like the police are kicking her out of her house and selling it. Thinking about something like this happening to my grandma makes my blood boil.

But stop making it sound worse than it is.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
If the house belonged to the nephew, I might say close it down. But if the house belong to the other occupants, they ought to back down. Essentially sounds like the city is playing judge and jury by punishing people who haven't been convicted of a crime.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ben420

How can i make it sound worse then it is?

Two people are losing the home because of the unjust drug war. Under what law....RICO....or some evolved form of RICO.

Even President Bush agrees that the drug war is not working.....and I know you do as well Ben420. lol

All in all I see how you interpret my post as making it sound worse because I pull out the "proceeds of crime" act or "RICO" yet whatever the law is it STILL supplants the rights given under the Constitution of these United States.

I am refering to the seizing of private Property.

The first to go are the defenseless and the weak; we are next.

Can you imagine if one of the Kennedy's had a nephew who used and sold drugs on Kennedy property? Would there be any chance in hell that the Kennedy's would lose their home?

Not on your life.

[edit on 26-12-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

How can i make it sound worse then it is?

... by implying that the police were seizing and auctioning off her home

Two people are losing the home because of the unjust drug war. Under what law....RICO....or some evolved form of RICO.

She isn't losing it for good.

I'm not defending the police, I think its ridiculous and sickening. But she's actually not losing her home, the cops have for some reason decided to kick a 101 year old woman out of her house for 6 months because of her nephews screw ups.

Even President Bush agrees that the drug war is not working.....and I know you do as well Ben420. lol

Well, seeing as I'm not American, I don't have the pleasure of experiencing the War on Drugs. As an outsider though, I can still clearly see that it's not working, but it was never intended to work anyways.

I am refering to the seizing of private Property.

Well thats great, but they're technically not seizing it.

The first to go are the defenseless and the weak; we are next.

Hey I'm with you on that one

Can you imagine if one of the Kennedy's had a nephew who used and sold drugs on Kennedy property? Would there be any chance in hell that the Kennedy's would lose their home?

Obviously not, we are just lowly peons and they are elitists, common law doesn't apply to them.

Not on your life.

Agreed.

If it looks like I'm arguing semantics, I apologize, I just had to point out that the auction thing was false.

[edit on 26-12-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Usually elderly people who are forced to move from their homes, die within a short period of time. So this is actually very very dangerous and completely insane. I don't believe in our system, and even more important why, considering that this police state is emerging right under our noses, aren't we standing together. The whole neighborhood should barracade and protect her home. People are going to have to resist evil by their numbers and in full show, fully visible.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Thank you ben 420.

I need clarification on issues that mean a lot to me and you have helped.

Yet, once a 101 woman is move from her home for....6 months....she is a goner...I have seen how they do this.

State to Senior Cit.

Just visit the home for a month to see if you like it...

6 months later

So sorry but your home is entanlged in the court system ...after she dies it is sold in auction....I know how this works....we are corrupt to the bone

Oh yeah...

Well, seeing as I'm not American, I don't have the pleasure of experiencing the War on Drugs. As an outsider though, I can still clearly see that it's not working, but it was never intended to work anyways

Tell that to my buddy Mark in Van...Emery...the pot guy. lol

[edit on 29-12-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Oh yeah...

Well, seeing as I'm not American, I don't have the pleasure of experiencing the War on Drugs. As an outsider though, I can still clearly see that it's not working, but it was never intended to work anyways

Tell that to my buddy Mark in Van...Emery...the pot guy. lol

I blame that on my spineless government that is always ready to get on its knees whenever America asks. But thats another topic

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinman67

I thought the whole thing about the city "closing properties" sounds highly unconstitutional. Where's the uproar about these kind of actions by cities?

Actually this sounds like a good law. If you read the article, it's VERY rare that a owner occupied residence is involved. But since it's her nephew who has been arrested 3 times in 2 years on drug and weapons charges, it appears that he doesn't care about losing the property.

And... she doesn't lose her home entirely, she only loses it for 6 months.

I would think the community would be protesting in the streets. A drug dealer points his gun at police and gets shot, folks protest, a 101 yo women is being kicked out of her own home, not for something she did, but something someone else did. It seems like the world has gone loopey.

I think you forget what the law is about. Imagine you lived on that block, and you saw three arrests happen at that place in 2 years, and they had to do with drugs and weapon charges? Wouldn't you want it stopped as well?

The Nephew was not merely in possession of drugs (which I don't think should be a crime at all) but was dealing out of Grandmas house.

Now, as for the Elderly woman, I feel for her. However, when I read there was a hearing in April about this which no one showed up for, I had to wonder if the summons was ignored or perhaps intercepted by the nephew.

It sounds like this action will be the one that causes Gramma kick the nephew out.

It's sad that her nephew has so little regard for his family.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Did you read the article? The last arrest was 11+ months ago. The nephew was charged and did time. He has been exclude from the property. No subsequent "criminal" activity has been implied.

Laws by nature are not meant to be so rigid as to become edicts. If in fact this woman is evicted, the likelihood of her survival will be greatly diminished. Americans have little to no respect for our elderly, just as we have no care for our poor, our disadvantaged. We are Sodom, we are Gomorrah.

[edit on 30-12-2008 by scottsquared]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Does anyone realize that this woman was still allowing this to happen? I understand she is elderly, however she was still letting this happen.

She can't have been oblivious to this, as there have been prior arrests. She should have told the nephew to bugger off.

I'm not saying it is RIGHT, but when it boils down to it, it is her fault that she is being kicked out. If the nephew doesn't care enough to cut it out, then he really doesn't care what happens to her. She should have no qualms about asking him to leave, or having the police remove him.

I know people aren't going to like this, and again I am not saying its RIGHT, but technically, under the law, she's wrong.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
AGAIN! Did you read the referenced article? Obviously not. Or perhaps the is a comprehension issue.

First and foremost, show some respect for a woman who has reached the century mark, forgive her your assumed transgressions, forgive yourself, and let her finish her last days on this plain in peace.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

To me the criminal is the nephew not the property or the old lady.

The punishment should fit the crime.

Punish the nephew, not the old lady.

Lots of states have 3 time loser laws, and this punk sounds like
he qualifies for it.

Send him away for a long stay, problem solved.

Also make prisons self sufficient, make them grow their own food,
and make their own clothes, etc etc.

We should not have to pay for their stupidity.

[edit on 30-12-2008 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

it is her fault that she is being kicked out. If the nephew doesn't care enough to cut it out, then he
reply to post by jonbnk

How in the hell is a 101 year old women supposed to know what her nephew is doing when a 30 year old mother or father has no clue about wtf thier own offspring is up to.

Good God...where did you come up with this ...let me guess somebody taught you to say.."its your own fault" lol

I was asked to work for a very large church youth group at one time in the middle of the US in order to help the youth pastor as he seemed to be blind to the actions of his young parishoners.

He was not blind to the actions he simply was unable to control the young people.....as the parents could not. lol

It seems to me Aristotle had the same problem. lol

I refused as I could see what the kids that went to said church did privately outside of the view of parents and youth pastor.....they did all the same things that non church kids tried and did. Can anybody say normal?

So when a few of the kids died in a drunk driving incident, using your logic, I should blame the parents, church, youth pastor as they did not know that the kids drank booze. And that church should be shut down, using your logic, as they did much worse then this 101 year old lady did...people died under the watch of this pastor becuase of the drug of alchohol.

Using your logic the authority figure is then at fault for not knowing what the hell is going on in said persons life.

Using your logic we should then string up all goverment/church/authority figures because they did not know people are drinking, doing drugs, having sex...etc. Inquisitors love this idea.

This is the logical end of your rhetoric and brother we are almost at that point as we install cameras, as we spy on people, as we listen to private phone calls.....all in the name of saftey. lol

How about we take good care of the old 101 year old lady and allow her to die in peace in her own home rather then kicking her out because she could not control her nephew.

Or of course we can disingrate to a police state in order to monitor and punish all who are ignorant of what people who come into thier homes too do.

PS

Read the US constitution and the Bill of Rights.

[edit on 30-12-2008 by whiteraven]

top topics

join