It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is wrong with this place?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
You can find any number of stories or posts on here about people getting trashed drunk or messed up on any other drugs, and you can post pictures of a mostly consumed glass of alcohol as a "christmas" thread...

You can ask if some goofy product from a company that markets to young people will get you high, effectively advertising for that company...

But you try to start a discussion about hemp and the thread gets locked right away, deleted right away, or just moved.
You can't even mention the word that almost rhymes with Tijuana without getting your post deleted by an overzealous moderator.

And when you ask why, it's because "there's a chance someone will bring up drug use and someone will be offended," or "a wide range of people, even children read this website."

Is alcohol not a mind altering substance? Are psychedelics not drugs? Is talking about their effects not discussing drug use?
There are new posts every day involving one of the two, and nothing ever comes of it, but try to talk about HEMP (which has basically ZERO DRUG CONTENT and huge potential for helping the world) and you get scolded or your posts removed, and people have to be on tippy toes or the discussion is gone.

"Deny ignorance" is a joke.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I'm able to have plenty of discussions here without my threads or other threads getting locked. So you have had some bad experiences here. Don't keep your head down and complain about the whole place. There are tons of good discussion threads here where lucid discussion is abound. Also, this thread is going to probably be locked too.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Good way to to get your thread closed, and btw BTS has a rant section.
not one line but two

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Criticism is a good way to get a thread closed?

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

Complaining about the website about your own personal issues with the website is a way to get it closed!

A thread like this belongs on the rant forum on BTS as was previously suggested.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
It's not a personal issue when it happens to someone else, but it is still ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

It's a personal issue with a lot of people on the website. A lot of the threads I post in seem to get closed at times but I am just saying this thread is posted on the wrong forum. It belongs in BTS. This isn't a conspiracy. There is no staff involvement in trying to keep people from making posts on ATS.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Ok so I'll attempt to give some guidance here: if you truly think that the mods locked or deleated your thread(s) for reasons you believe to be unfair then then a complaint is the way to go as it is read by all staff, this is not the way I would recomend(this thread) going about this I would do it in another way (U2U even) best of luck.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
And what is bts? A place to post when you're not being serious?

I'm trying to have a serious discussion on a forum that is meant for serious discussion of alternative subjects doesn't really work.

If I was trying to crack jokes and make internet people laugh I'd post on bts, but I'm not interested in that. I, like tons of other people never browse that place because you can't take it seriously. There are tons of funny things on the internet, if I want them, I'll seek them.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
No criticism allowed!

Your thread will be moved to an entirely different website where nobody (that it was intended for) will ever see it.

Thanks a lot ats. Making people crazier since....

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

Yes, BTS is the "less serious" side of ATS.... Pop in and say hi sometime

The problem with the drug talk, is the internet nanny-bot (??things?) will associate ATS with drugs if these threads stay open... (isn't that right?) and ATS is known for its conspiracy theories - not for drugs. And the children - there are some younger members who don't need to be exposed to this kind of discussion.

Check out RATS....your posting priviledges are a little bit more leniant in there.

- Carrot

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The policy is against ILLEGAL DRUGS discussion of this topic is against the Terms and Conditions of Use

Specifically:

2e.) Illegal Activity: Discussion of illegal activities; specifically mind-altering drugs, computer hacking, criminal hate, sexual relations with minors, and stock scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites that contains discussion of such material.

The note here is the word Illegal. They want this site to be accessible by the broadest range of people possible. Net Nanny and other programs like that will search out keywords on websites and block them from being accessed by people. That hurts ATS's bottom line.

Besides the fact that there are hundreds if not thousands of other websites that you can go to to discuss these issues without any problems at all.

I simply don't understand why people constantly bring up this subject time and time again when it's so clearly been discussed and its clearly been shown why it isn't tolerated here.

There are a myriad of other topics that are able to be discussed on this site. Certainly there are other issues that you can choose to talk about here without resorting to having to hate this site because of it's clearly defined rules and regulations. After all it is a privately held company and can enforce any rule it deems appropriate.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
it is only illegal in certain countries, and various states within a country may have various laws.

you cant pull the "illegal" card on the internet unless you expect everyone to obey USA and its laws as "world wide" laws on the internet

omg the www is owned by the nwo

[edit on 26/12/08 by Obliv_au]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

You can discuss drugs on RATS if you want...

Just thought I'd point that out.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Yes you can and the reason you can is because it isn't search able by web bots like net nanny. If these programs cannot search for the keywords in an area of the website it won't cut off that web site from the people who employ this program.

Obliv_au, obviously it's true that some substances are illegal in some countries while legal in others however this particular substance has been deemed by management and the owners of this site to be illegal enough in enough regions of the world to warrant them to not allow it here.

Remember this is not a publicly owned site. It is privately owned and operated therefore it does not fall under the protections of freedom of speech.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I'm sorry but perhaps reading the T&C prior to joining would have solved the problem. In all seriousness, I haven't been here that long but I have seen on numerous occasions how the owners, operators and mods at this site go out of their way to keep freedom of speech alive and well here. What rules there are against speaking of certain things publicly are there to maintain the availability of the site to as a wide a range of people as possible.

Freedom isn't always about what you can do as an individual, but it is often about what you are willing not to do in order to support the greater freedoms of all. If it bothers you not to be able to speak on certain topics in order to keep this site as open and free as possible, then there is simply nothing more to say.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
[even children read this website.]

Dear Lord I pray that there are not children here ..(well besides teens) ..
I think this place is a tad hardcore (with temperament mostly) for the youngans.

new topics

top topics

join