It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If homosexuality is such a terrible sin, why is it not in the ten commandments?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

Feeling the Christmas spirit?

Hell yeah. This is the first year that I'm not made to go see the scum that I'm told to call 'family'.

I tell you I got dealt a sh-- hand of cards, I tell you.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I like you, mate. Have a star.

I for one died my hair blue...then purple just to see how she would react...

"Just for the sake of it." Good on you, christian, you sound quite progressive. Not the typical brainwashed drone that you get meandering around in the church.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

think the bible had it covered ( that has to of been done before somewhere in this thread )

merry christmas folks all the best

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Im sorry, but these people are really stretching this whole gay thing farther than it needs to go. ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! GET OVER IT!
The people have voted, they said their peace, deal with it.
"it aint in the commandments" who cares...lots of things arent in the commandments, its not about that. Its about the collective thought of the american people. If you want to be gay, than be gay, nobody is saying that you cant be gay. This isnt about Marriage, its about money, thats it.
They want the tax rideoffs, all this fuss over tax rideoffs. This IS NOT about marriage. This might not be "exactly on topic" But all these Prop 8 threads have run their toll. The people voted, they said no, deal with it.
Just like a lot of people have to just deal with Obama, eventhough they dont like it. I voted for Mccain, but you dont see me out there holding up banners and signs saying "it wasnt fair". GET OVER IT!!!!! You will have your chance again soon enough. So stop with these threads already, its getting really boring, and its not helping your cause any. Thank you.
Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

fornication is any sexual act that goes against the natural use, adultery is fornication, but your right--- fornication is not necessarily adultery. and even if they were married it would still be fornication. but they have free will to do what they will, God given right, but I believe that marriage is a God sanctioned commitment, between one heterosexual man and woman. you may or may not believe this, but wouldn't you expect me to fight for what I believe in? many people are outspoken about things such as the presidential election, war in Iraq, etc. everyone has a right to their opinion, and this time the larger opinion was to keep marriage between man and woman, one of each of course. maybe a civil union is in order? compromise.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by one_man24

I don't really agree with you much but I respect you and your opinion. BUT you used said it's not 'natural'.

fornication is any sexual act that goes against the natural use

I've made the point a few times in the thread that it is a product of nature. What's more is that marriage pre-dates Christianity; it makes this philosophical approach problematic at best.

[edit on 25/12/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

This thread isn't about gay marriage, if you wish to make one about gay marriage, find a forum to do so.

(on a side note it's never fair for the majority to vote on a fundamental right of the minority.) This is why we have the constitution to protect the rights of all people not just the majority.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
so i missed pretty much the whole thread but I'd like to give my two cents on the OP's post. The 10 Commandments were created under the Law of Moses, which is the biggest line between the laws and commandments which apply to us now and to the laws and commandments that applied to the people of Moses.

Homosexuality wasn't left out of the Ten Commandments, same situation as tithing isn't in the Bible, that doesn't mean we shouldn't follow the Commandment.

As not only a Christian but as a member of the LDS (Mormon) Church, homosexuality prohibits our purpose here on earth, to replenish the earth. Homosexuality can't do that. I'm not personally against homosexuality, i don't hate homosexuals nor am i homophobic, they are people as well, and, myself not being homosexual don't fully understand their given circumstance, whether it be a "mental" issue (which i've heard from doctors on the TV too often) or it just being "the way they were born" i don't think it's our place to shun them or outcast them as a whole, we as a race must learn to accept people for who they are, help them learn and expand, we shouldn't be obstacles.

On a final note, the question posed in the title of this thread alone screams to me that the OP lacks basic knowledge in the Bible, or s/he would know the Ten Commands were made for the people of Moses and homosexuality wasn't a big issue at the time

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
From what I can tell is that the subtext of the message is that most religious people believe that if they allow homosexual behaivour then most people would 'choose' this lifestyle, thus ending humanity. There has always been a small percentage of the population that is homosexual. No amount of banishment, coercion, re-education, damnation, etc. is going to change this. I believe that it is inborn and that it is a biological condition and that more than likely, any perceived increase in homosexual visibility is a product of less persecution and not more people deciding " I'm going to be gay now". I've seen my share of paranioa in people and most of this is just uninformed ignorance.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
You know we are already stupid as a species.

We infest the Earth in numbers too great for the planet to sustain in the long term and here we sit using all this advanced technology trying to debate what we feel the all mighty meant so we can tell others how to live there lives...........

Firstly, our numbers are too great, half the world id starving because of it.
Life on Earth is in no danger of ending because of homosexuality.

Secondly, is it just possible that becuase our numbers are so great, that our creator, in his infinate wisdom, created homosexuality as a form of "humane" population control?
Why not? The ignorant will tell you God created AIDS to kill off the fags...
Which idea would you attribute to a benevolent God?

Let's debate how we are going to feed ourselves and propel ourselves with-out ruining the planet with fossil fuels.
Let's debate how to get along with people who are diffrent.
I'm POSITIVE that our creator is more concerned about these issues and therefore so should everyone else....

Merry Christmas

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Here goes my first post,

Didn't God make his position on homosexuality on homosexuality quite clear when he more or less nuked Soddom and Gomorrah?

This was before the ten commandments right? So clearly the followers of Moses already knew how God felt about such things... And it wasn't like they were totally clueless - the Israelites knew about what happened to the homosexuals in those two cities, they'd have to be totally stupid not to draw the connection that homosexuality = fire and brimstone (God style).

Correct me if I'm wrong, I might be.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

But homosexuality was not the only thing they were doing to evoke God's rage was it. For instance, those men wanted to rape the angels. I'm more thinking it was about rape, adultery, fornication, and general wickedness that pushed God to unleash hell. I mean if homosexuality upsets God so much, he's being uncharacteristically lenient on San Francisco isn't he.

So because S&G are ambiguous on the role homosexuality may or may not have played, we really need the bible to stress it, and make it perfectly clear exactly what is acceptable and what isn't, which is tricky really, because the word homosexuality is not more than 2 centuries old and is unique in it's meaning. Amongst the languages of time, not many if any had word(s) with the same definition.

[edit on 25/12/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf
The simple reason that Christians consider homosexuality a sin is because it's unnatural. Same-sex couplings are not seen in nature, nor in humans until fairly recently (3000-4000 years ago). Gay cavemen did not exist.

It exists in all species. Wikipedia is easy to use. Snip

Mod Note Please Review General ATS discussion etiquette

[edit on 25/12/2008 by Sauron]

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
Here goes my first post,

Didn't God make his position on homosexuality on homosexuality quite clear when he more or less nuked Soddom and Gomorrah?

This was before the ten commandments right? So clearly the followers of Moses already knew how God felt about such things... And it wasn't like they were totally clueless - the Israelites knew about what happened to the homosexuals in those two cities, they'd have to be totally stupid not to draw the connection that homosexuality = fire and brimstone (God style).

Correct me if I'm wrong, I might be.

Chrsit Himself refers to Sodom and Gomorrah while speaking to His disciples in Mathew 10:14-15

14 - If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town.
15 - I tell you the truth, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.

No mention of homosexuality as being the reason for their destruction - but rather because they rejected God.

Furthermore, when you analyze the story of S&G in Genesis 19 you MUST keep context in mind. If you are going to say God destroyed them because they wanted to have gay sex with the men that came to visit Lot you would be over-simplifying the situation.

They wanted to RAPE them against their will. The men were also not "men" they were Angels and some translations of Jude 1:7 (New American Standard Bible) which recounts the events says "going after strange flesh" and thus potentially condemning them only because they wanted to have sex with Angels and NOT because it was homosexual in nature.

In addition to that - If you are going to use this passage to condemn all homosexuals, you could use it to say it is okay to rape virgin women. Lot offers his virgin daughters as alternatives and God did not punish him for that...So does that make it okay to commit rape, as long as it's heterosexual in nature?

[edit on 25-12-2008 by archetype_one]

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by miriam0566
technically, sexual sins fall under the 6th commandment which is to not commit adultery

sex outside a marriage union is forbidden. period.

the only union blessed by god himself in the bible is between a man an woman.

What if we make marriage legal

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Actually you're wrong. The people did vote and Gay marriage was ok...for about 10 hours and then it was taken back. You can't sit there and say anyone is whining. You obviously think it's important enough to come and complain about it yourself.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I think its because GOD created Adam (A MALE) and then Eve (A FEMALE)..knowing that one NEEDS the other to create life. He created their bodies SPECIFICALLY for their own purpose (aka. penis/vagina) and without each other life as we know it END

Hmm, this same God of yours then also created all of nature, right? Well then, how come a great majority of the animal kingdom lead "alternative lifestyles" (from the lowly worms all the way up to the primates and dolphins). Or is this just one more fact concerning the natural world (in addition to evolution, etc etc) that you religious types try to sweep under the rug?

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
11th-Fell off after Moses Broke Them

Thou shalt not be gay, thou shalt not dance in happiness at the club either for it is wrong to dance!"

Or maybe it was Paul's 11th...

1 Corinthians 7:1
Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.

Sarcasm only intended.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join