It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The End of Infinity.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kata
I agree with Seapeople in that this is a very confusing topic. I do not claim to be an expert in classical or quantum physics, but from what I have read the concept of infinity could be somewhat easily explained by quantum phenomenon (at least as much as it can be in our dimension of existance). I could be completely off on this, but here is what I think. According to quantum phenomenon (if I understand it correctly) things are in a sort of flux until actually percieved or measured. In your example you were holding a bar that went on forever. If it went on forever you would not be able to see the full length, so until you viewed, measured, or somehow maybe on another level of existence could sense the entire pole, it actually would not be infinate at all or at least you would never be able to prove it because every length of pole you viewed, there would be more. I think that in our level of existance we are incapable of percieving infinity because we can only understand the limitations of our dimension.

Hmmm... really didn't answer anything, but was fun thinking about it for a while.

Thanks for the topic.
Kata

Thats actually a pretty good point. Even if something was infinite, we could never observe that.

<< 1  2   >>

join