It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How prepared are you really?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

I happen to live off the land, a gun is the first thing I grab every day...Granted I'm kind of a loner anyways,but there is room at my cabin for friends and family....Everybody talks about preparing,,,,Hell,,I live that way everyday..I've lived in tipi's, walltents,shacks and cabins..I've been a professional trapper,hunting guide,logger and woodsman for over 35 yrs.
Granted a loner does not help rebuild society....But do not compare people like me to rambo...I live life by my own rules..

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by beavertrapperak

I happen to live off the land, a gun is the first thing I grab every day...Granted I'm kind of a loner anyways,but there is room at my cabin for friends and family....Everybody talks about preparing,,,,Hell,,I live that way everyday..I've lived in tipi's, walltents,shacks and cabins..I've been a professional trapper,hunting guide,logger and woodsman for over 35 yrs.
Granted a loner does not help rebuild society....But do not compare people like me to rambo...I live life by my own rules..

Yes of course it is because you probably need it as either a tool or to keep bears at bay, but you dont go out with the intent of killing your neighbours. My comments are directed to the millions of gun nuts ( like me) who think survival involves a gun and a gung ho attitude in order to survive. Heck we all saw the instant effect during the LA riots and NY power cuts, it only took 3 hours before everyone was shooting at each other.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis

I never said my country was perfect, it's far from it. If you are going to state facts like that about shootings, make sure you include ALL of the facts. Most of the time NRA members are involved in shootings defending their homes and families. 90% are criminals.

Yet my illustrious chum they are still at the end of the day Americans killing Americans, that is the simple truth, and when as happened only recently a law abidding gun owning NRA member shot a neighbour dead by ACCIDENT, he was in the eyes of the law a criminal, and convicted as such, ( twas on Fox about a month ago)

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
Lets get one thing straight NRA members do not go around shooting average citizens. They just go around and shoot those who disagree with there right wing point of view.

ROTFLMBO
Superb Sir, Superb

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
The plan that me and some co-workers came up with was to pick a location in canada such as manitoba or alberta that is near some mountains (for fresh water). We get the exact coordinates for this spot and when TSHTF we tell all of our trusted friends and relatives the coordinates. On the way there we stop at every smalltown and get as much supplies as we would need.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Raider, I hope you know as much about reproduction as you know about Americans.

I also recall in about 1940 that the British government was running ads all over the United States asking for everyday Americans to send firearms to Britain. They wanted any firearm of any kind, pistols, revolvers, rifles, and shotguns. It would appear that with many of Britain's weapons being left on the beaches of Dunkirk, and with Hitler threatening an invasion, that Britain had insufficient weapons to defend itself.

It seems that bans and restrictions on personal firearm ownership had left Britain sucking hind tit, and relatively defenseless. Or was every twenty Brits going to share one rifle?

It would appear that after the war, you folks with your impeccable insights, resorted to the very same condition?

Americans killing Americans. Most of our murders are certain ethnic groups involved in drugs, killing other of the same ethnic groups who are also involved in drugs, or in the process of illegally obtaining money to buy drugs.

You come off mighty critical of anyone who cares to take the steps necessary to defend themselves.

I've seen your kind. Unarmed, just want to be left alone, not bothering anyone. Don't understand the need for violence, don't want to be part of violence, and think that if they just tend to their business, others will tend to theirs, and leave them alone. Yeah. I've seen your kind. Massacred. Murdered by others, just because they could. After all, in a land of the unarmed, the illegally armed rule.

You keep dreaming, and maybe your dreams will last another few years. Maybe.

You do it your way in England. We'll do it our way in America. Your way works for you. Our way works for us.

But if you get into another bind, you'll not mind leaving us out of it, will you?

After all, we'd like to see how it's done without weapons by a sophisticated, more advanced culture.

And all those Muslims that are in your country just waiting for their numbers to increase? Well, good luck with that too. I suppose you could always use a pitchfork. Or, run some more ads in the U.S.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Guys seriously can we quit the pissing contest. it got old real fast. We are survivalist we need to rage against those who would do us harm not our colleagues.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
My favorite part about you "survivalists" is that your only concerned about your own survival, rather than the survival of your peers and countrymen. It would be interesting indeed to see what this selfish attitude may bring upon you at a time of complete chaos.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by blowfishdl

"is that your only concerned about your own survival," I guess that the time I have spent with the local Red Cross talking about being prepared does not count. The safety meetings I have given at work telling people to get there stuff together does not count ether. Helping our neighbors when there are storms ether. I can not feed the world if things go bad. I can not keep the world warm if there is no heat. What I can do is try to increase peoples awareness that if bad things happen the government will not be there for at least three days. That they will need to be able to take care of themselves or they will have a very bad set of days. Will I help my neighbors? As much as I can. Will I give my life for a stranger? No, if that makes me a bad person then I am a bad person in your eyes. Having been through some hard times when things went bad: people that know how to take care of themselves will, those who don't have a clue go ape SH!T and do stupid things. Panic is the real killer, working in search and rescue (does that count?) you see people die by getting stupid. I don't like that. One kid about 6 got seperated from his parents on a hike, they didn't put a bell on him, they didn't have an adult in front and behind the kid and he took a turn off the trail. He didn't make it. A couple went out for a drive in the afternoon in the winter, didn't have any cold weather gear, they panicked when the got stuck on a back road. They started walking in a snow storm and they didn't make it.

Your comments remind me of people that feel that the world must take care of them. They will not accept that their actions have real world fail out and some one should help them get their stuff wired tight when every thing goes south for them.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Seriously why are you here? Oh I know its called trolling. Its trolls like you that make a need for survivalist. If your this arrogant and empty headed on line odds are you are off line to. Don't wanna learn about survival or have any thing to teach go troll elsewhere. your derailing the thread and wrecking the learning experience of others. I've never put any body on ignore on ATS before but its really tempting to do it to you.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican

Seriously why are you here? Oh I know its called trolling. Its trolls like you that make a need for survivalist. If your this arrogant and empty headed on line odds are you are off line to. Don't wanna learn about survival or have any thing to teach go troll elsewhere. your derailing the thread and wrecking the learning experience of others. I've never put any body on ignore on ATS before but its really tempting to do it to you.

Thanks for the equally unimportant, ignorant, self-righteous, waste of a post. It is equally tempting to ignore those whom do not bring themselves into the discussion, rather fight a personal battle with one individual.

Let's get back on the point at hand here folks, to those of you wishing to continue the discussion.

How prepared is society really? My point is, you can have all the stockpiles of food, amo, survival gear in the world. What about the single mother of 2 next door? What about the 600,000 laid off individuals last year whom can't barely afford this week's food supply much less a year? Is there no public works program?

To the man who works with the Red Cross I thoroughly applaud your efforts.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl
My favorite part about you "survivalists" is that your only concerned about your own survival, rather than the survival of your peers and countrymen. It would be interesting indeed to see what this selfish attitude may bring upon you at a time of complete chaos.

People I apologize. I started this thread with a serious question. I didn't realize that trolls like blowfish would turn it into a cyber hate crime.

Blowfishdl If we can't take care of ourselves how can we help others. By reading and contributing to threads like these we (the people that contribute) are helping ourselves and others. I am sorry that you are such an angry bitter little troll that you feel you must foolishly attack people with your contradictions. (Time better spent doing other things bieng foremost) If you truly believe what you say, why do you waste time (ours and yours) attacking people? To be honest if the time ever comes when something terrible happens I for one intend to be prepared for as much as is realisticly possible. If that time comes by being prepared I will be able to help others. I will also admit that help will be selective. I will help those that are unable to help themselves. People that have had the ability to prepare and chose not too will have to fend for themselves.

My family by no means has monetary wealth, but I feel that we are blessed with other riches, compassion, morality, intelligence. We will be more than happy to share that with the old lady next store to us, or the family down the street that may not be as fortunate as we are. When the trolls come to the door demanding, they will be quite suprised that people in real life are not as easily bullied as people on line.

Good luck to you and yours!

Spiritowl

*Edited for grammar

[edit on 12-12-2008 by Spiritowl]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiritowl

I'm sorry that you thought I was calling you out in a cyber-hate crime. Thanks for being the first one to answer my question however, and I am glad that your answer is that "I will help out others".

My intent was to obtain the answers of many individuals however, not just yourself obviously. As one poster previously said, "I will let them rot for a few months and then the ones that are left I know will be good seeds". Which clearly raises so many questions for "survivalists" in general.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I believe the proper mindset is to be able to take care of yourself and yours first and foremost. Once secured personally first and foremost, then you assist those who can't - not won't - do for themselves.

Out of every hundred people or so, there's about ten not worth the powder to shoot them. Lazy, obstinate, demanding, irrational, noisy, self-serving, greedy, unaware, and imprudent. They won't get a minute of my time or effort, and they damned sure won't be eating my food. Hand them a can, and point them on their way.

Those around me will do what they can to contribute, or they're on their own.

If that's selfish, then call it what you will. Some idiots will overturn the lifeboat, tossing all into the storm, if you let them.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

Originally posted by Anuubis

I like how you used us NRA members as a reference to all the violence in this country. 90% of shootings are from gangbangers or psycopaths who are not members of the NRA. It's narrow minded thinking like that that got the Britishs ass' kicked two hundred years ago!

99% of the shootings are committed by American Citizens on American Citizens, you still lose 30,000 lives a year plus over 250,000 wounded to guns. I love it when Americans cite the events of 1776 which was a duel effort by the Americans, French and Spanish, but seem to forget round two in 1812 when the Brits with only 4000 troops whupped the US, captured its Capital, had breakfast in the Whitehouse and defeated the US army at Bladensburg in an hour and a half. Now lets see if I remember round two correctly !!

The US invaded Canada with the intent of grabbing more land, The Americans burnt to the ground the City of York and killed many of its inhabitants. In response the British drove the US army out of Canada, Blocaded its sea ports, captured Detroit, Queenston, Washingtyon DC, Mackinaw, Brownstown, Monguanon,Dearborn, Frenchtown, Beaver Dam,Ogdensburg, Laciolle Mills, Prairie du Chien, Mackinac Island, Castine, Hampden, Bangor, Machais and Baltimore. Events only came to a halt when the treaty of Ghent was signed resoring the original borders. Sorry about us burning down your whitehouse, Library of congress and Naval yard, but at least Dolly Madison stood against us saving your nations honour . Still no nation is perfect especially mine.

have a source for these "facts"?

edit to add: strictly for the gun injury and death figures, the rest is well documented by history

edit to add: Sorry for depriving you of your chance to embrace German culture in 1940's, we could have called it even for the capitol

[edit on 12-12-2008 by hotrodturbo7]

[edit on 12-12-2008 by hotrodturbo7]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   

The rest of the world is an evil place for sure..The way I live, I've lost touch with what most people consider the real world... If thats good or bad I don't now...It's even getting to crowded around here, thinking about moving further north,,maybe the Brooks Range.....Come on with,,I'll turn you into a bushrat.......[Thats a good thing]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by hotrodturbo7

Found it CDC gun death stats

30,694 deaths related to firearms

17,002 were suicides

12,352 homicides

leftovers were legal/unintentional/ etc.

Heres a good one also

Britian, Australia top US in violent crime

guns have Jack S**t to do with how stupid and violent people are, because

your country has an insignificant amount of guns compared to the US, and is more violent.

Best regards

edited for clarification

[edit on 13-12-2008 by hotrodturbo7]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotrodturbo7
reply to post by hotrodturbo7

Found it CDC gun death stats

30,694 deaths related to firearms

17,002 were suicides

12,352 homicides

leftovers were legal/unintentional/ etc.

Heres a good one also

Britian, Australia top US in violent crime

guns have Jack S**t to do with how stupid and violent people are, because

your country has an insignificant amount of guns compared to the US, and is more violent.

Best regards

edited for clarification

Yes we Brits and Aussies do indeed resort to violence, We will very quickly give some toerag a smack in the mouth for getting out of line, but in the US you tend to shoot them, big difference.

[edit on 13-12-2008 by Northern Raider]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   

knife attacks in UK

Maybe bladed weapons preferred, more "personal"

When flatware is banned, the criminal element will resort to the plastic "spork"?

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotrodturbo7

knife attacks in UK

Maybe bladed weapons preferred, more "personal"

When flatware is banned, the criminal element will resort to the plastic "spork"?

Even with the increase that is only around 40,000 incidents a year in a population of 60 million, and of those 40,000 the fatalities I believe number less than 100. And of course those assaults include wives attacking hubby with a bread knife type event, mechanics arguing with customers using screwdrivers etc etc, drunks using bottles etc etc

And dont forget I am Pro gun ownership, The point I am trying to make and still support is that in a big SitX or Post apoc scenario millions of armed Americans are all going to head off out with the same plan involving a gun to get supplies, food and fuel. I still believe that the survivalists best choice is to ( remain armed) but lay very very low for as long as possible while the sheeple wipe each other out.

[edit on 13-12-2008 by Northern Raider]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join