It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blagojevich questions censored on Transition site

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   

President-elect Barack Obama's Transition today launched "Open for Questions," a Digg-style feature allowing citizens to submit questions, and to vote on one another's questions, bringing favored inquiries to the top of the list.

It was suggested when it launched that the tool would bring uncomfortable questions to the fore, but the results so far are the opposite: Obama's supporters appear to be using -- and abusing -- a tool allowing them to "flag" questions as "inappropriate" to remove all questions mentioning Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich from the main pages of Obama's website.

The Blagojevich questions -- many of them polite and reasonable -- can be found only by searching words in them, like "Blagojevich," which produces 35 questions missing from the main page of the site.

This web site feature is a great idea on the surface. Obama did speak of transparency in his office you know. However, this feature allows its users to virtually scrub any questions that they don't like from the site. (The Obamatrons).

As stated in the article, you have to hunt for the question. They aren't in plain site. I checked.

I ask those who have manipulated the questions, where is the transparency that you longed for? Where is the change? Do you support censorship? What are your views towards hypocrisy?

edit to add source:
www.politico.com...

[edit on 11-12-2008 by jibeho]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Maybe it's because the header says:
"Use our 'Open for Questions' tool to ask a question about a policy or issue that's important to you."

Maybe they don't consider a political scandal a policy or issue. I really think it's about government and political issues (economy, healthcare, War in Iraq, etc.) not scandals. They probably take eligibility questions off, too.

I would support a true transparency questions feature where those other questions could be asked and answered, but I don't think that's what they had in mind here.

Just my take.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Just went to the site and found some questions that are apparently fair game.

"What will you do as President to restore the Constitutional protections that have been subverted by the Bush Administration and how will you ensure that our system of checks and balances is renewed?" Kari, Seattle

Will you appoint a Special Prosecutor - ideally Patrick Fitzgerald - to independently investigate the gravest crimes of the Bush Administration, including torture and warrantless wiretapping?" Bob Fertik, New York City

Blago was bugged and tapped.

How will you deal with members of the Bush administration for things like warrant-less wiretapping, approving the use of torture, and the abuse of executive power?" Brian, Fort Myers, FL

Executive Order 13233 from President Bush nullifies the lawful release of presidential records. What will you do to keep the Bush/Cheney administration from exploiting this to keep their secrets safe, contrary to national security?" annie

I love this one. How many hours of wiretaps on Blago?

"The Bush administration has rationalized some vile acts (torture, wiretapping) with questionable legal opinions written by the OLC and the DoJ. How will you close the loophole that implies any act is lawful if it's permitted by such a legal opinion?" Andrew, Austin, TX

You can clearly see the bias. These are some of the top questions as rated by the site users folks. Not a single Blago or vacant Senate seat question. You are expected to assume that no one cares about possible ties to Blago or the Senate seat selection process? These questions have been buried buy the die hard supporters. Pathetic.

Any user of this new site should be instructed to ask only pro dem. questions. Do not challenge your new President please.

The questions are all meatball or anti Bush questions. No surprises there. Clearly people are more concerned with wire tapping than they are concerned with the economy.

change.gov...

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by jibeho

Maybe it's because the header says:
"Use our 'Open for Questions' tool to ask a question about a policy or issue that's important to you."

Maybe they don't consider a political scandal a policy or issue. I really think it's about government and political issues (economy, healthcare, War in Iraq, etc.) not scandals. They probably take eligibility questions off, too.

I would support a true transparency questions feature where those other questions could be asked and answered, but I don't think that's what they had in mind here.

Just my take.

Perhaps the header should not state:

If the reality is someone else will judge what is important to you? Scandals are not 'issues'? Interesting position, but academic nevertheless.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
These are the top questions buried by the site users. Please note the tag added to the end of every question. Clearly these questions are important to somebody!!!

"In light of the recent corruption scandals (Blagojevich, Rangel, Jefferson, Stevens, etc) that have dominated the political scene,is there any ethics legislation being crafted to actually curb corruption and prevent another wave of nixonian cynicism?" lupercal, Gainesville - Questions View response Post a response This submission was removed because people believe it is inappropriate.

"Is Obama aware of any communications in the last six weeks between Rod Blagojevich or anyone representing Rod Blagojevich and any of Obama's top aides?" carpediem365, ohio - Questions View response Post a response This submission was removed because people believe it is inappropriate.

"Given the current corruption charges involving Blagojevich, will "serious" campaign finance reform that takes money completely out of politics through publicly funded elections be a priority in the first term?" Metteyya, Santa Cruz, Ca. - Questions View response Post a response This submission was removed because people believe it is inappropriate.

Please strongly address the matter of Governor Blagojevich on Wednesday.People are saying that you are not taking a clear lead on this matter and we would like you to let us know how you will deal with public servants who behave in this way." Lorraine, Omaha, NE - Questions View response Post a response This submission was removed because people believe it is inappropriate.

This one is a gem!!

"How can people trust this website when questions about Obamas ties to Governor Blagojevich are routinely being deleted? Just search on "Blago" and you'll see -- here's to the new boss, same as the old boss eh?" DaMav, Pennsylvania - Questions View response Post a response This submission was removed because people believe it is inappropriate.

You get the gist.

top topics

join