It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Appalachian

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Okay so here it is, I just want some opinions on what it could be!!

I am an avid Hiker and one day while I was hiking a stretch of the Appalachian in New Jersey, I had to use the "Little Boys Tree" and had to make a drastic flight of the trail to do so (Dumb Tourists) so I Admit I got a little lost. While lost I stumbled upon a very strange sight!

Now I know I had been at least twenty or some miles from the closest town in the middle of the woods when I came across a fence, without a lie fifteen feet tall and barbed wire and enclosing a manhole cover.

I researched the hell out of it, and found nothing.

I am going to try to find it again and snap photos but until then..

Anyone on know what a manhole cover with a barbed wire fence around might be doing on the top of a mountain in New Jersey?

Thanks

Mobhit

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I am almost willing to bet it is an old Mine claim. I see them all over when I go hiking, although I have never seen one with a manhole cover. But again, sounds like an Old Mine Claim.

-Kdial1

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Ah ha!
Knew there were A.T. folks snooping around here.
Which shelters was it between?
Give us some details.
What was stamped on the manhole cover?
What high point were you near?
Get a back azimuth distance and elevation from a known point?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Could it have been a survey marker? Usually these are not as large as a manhole cover, but in a densely forested area, larger ones are sometimes used to make it easier to find after a few years.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Well I've never seen anything like that anywhere around the Appalachians in PA, and I've spent years and years traipsing about fishing and hunting.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
No GPS unit to lock in the coordinates? I thought just about every hiker nowadays carried one of those things...

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mobhitmusic

Old Mine probably surrounded by barbed wire due to hikers and animals so as to not fall in.....old mines abound in WV. So this is common that animals and occassionally a hiker will get lost and have to be found. Many stories of animals, dogs mostly running after deer who fall in and are never found or at least not for a long time. Most farmers etc know of them and stay clear. Old mines usually are not stable, not deep but can kill. Avoid them.
speaknoevil07

join