It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico says gang killings more than double in 2008

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Unfortunately it is in another State on the East Coast. We will know in plenty of time when the first parole hearing comes up. I'll fly there with my Wife and probably many from the family to protest if need be.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by drwizardphd

What is it with you guys? ATS made a horrible mistake allowing all this pro-drug talk on ATS. We can't even have a discussion about how this relates to the border without it devolving into a legalize drug thread?

These thugs would just find some other form of crime to engage in. They won't become nice guys all of the sudden. The money is here and they will find a way to get it regardless.

What is wrong with me? Did you read anything of what I posted? Because it was essentially the exact same thing you said in your retort.

Legalizing Marijuana (and yes I am pro drug, sue me) would solve ALOT of the issues in Mexico. But it WOULDN'T stop gang violence. People like you need to understand that the majority of the gang-related killings are direct side-effects of the United State's war on drugs.

You see, Marijuana is simply a plant. It is hardy and grows just about anywhere, so it is extremely easy to produce. By making it illegal, the United States has effectively increased the value of Marijuana to a ridiculous extent, so that it is extremely profitable to deal with. Now, all the gangs in Mexico have to do is plant their crops and sneak them over, and they can afford all the guns and ammunition they need to kill and rob from innocent citizens, all thanks to Uncle Sam.

If it was legal, American farmers could grow it in the US, liquor stores could sell it, and all those Mexican gangs would be out of their chief source of income. It's really that simple. There will still be gang violence, just no need to bring it over the border.

And if you're going to whine that I'm derailing your thread with my "pro-drug talk" then know that the only reason I'm typing this out is because of your ignorant response to my original post. And this is very much on-topic.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Last week, the U.S. government released $197 million, the first installment of a $400 million aid package to support Mexico's police and soldiers in their fight against drug cartels.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Gang Killings?! Gang Violence?!

Its a Narcoterrorist Insurgency

Mexico's Narco-Insurgency
www.time.com...

Bombs, Carbombs, firefights, thousands of mexican troops deployed, and thousands of people dead.

This has nothing to do with the legalization or really that much to do with the smuggling of marijuana. Its about control and power, fueling it is the illegal trade of Cocaine and Heroin.

Its really not much different than what is going on in Iraq or Afghanistan. Different militant factions fighting for power. The Cartel's druglords are no different than the Afghan warlords who control the Opium trade in Afghanistan. Its a war, a real war with machineguns, grenades, RPGs, and all the other weapons you find in guerilla warfare.

[edit on 9/12/08 by MikeboydUS]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join