It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook: The Investigation.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I know others have posted about Facebook being more than It appears, but I feel like this deserves its own thread. you will see why.

First off, I've had suspicions that Facebook asks too much information about its users than I'm personally comfortable with. It seems almost like... a tool for someone else to use in order to catalog information about the people in this country and around the world.

For those of you in the dark, a little reasoning behind my beliefs:
albumoftheday.com...

I know most of you have heard what the video says already so lets move onto the purpose of this thread.

The Investigation

So at this point... I believed that Facebook was a tool... for someone. I didn't know who or for what purpose. I figured maybe the government because why wouldn't they want a nice easy catalog of the youth of this country. What better way to get information and use it against us... with Facebook, the government can easily see what our interests are and who we associate with and they can use this information against us if something like a new world order ever went down.

sounds lame right? well who exactly is in on this plot? the government? the Media?

...what happened next scared me.

I decided to conduct my own investigation. (unfortunately for me, this was before I was an avid member on these forums, so I do not have documentation... however I feel inclined to repeat this exorcise so if I do I will document it for you all)

It came subtle at first. I logged onto Yahoo answers and someone had posted a question about Facebook. I clicked it and the question was asking whether anyone else felt as if Facebook asked too much personal information. I said what the heck, and responded saying that I feel like not only does it ask too much information, but their terms of services are very shady when it comes to the subject of who sees this information.

I log on an hour later, and instead of the question being closed, It's gone. completely all traces removed. curious, I decided to post my own question.

I asked relatively the same question, and I made sure to specifically address the idea that Facebook was like a database for the government or something.

same thing happened... not even an hour later my topic was deleted, all traces removed.

I emailed yahoo about it, but got nothing in return.

at this point, I felt kind of afraid that maybe I had touched on something very wrong, so checking over my shoulder every 5 minutes or so I decided to log off and go to sleep.

The next day I got up and drove to school. I was not halfway there when I realized that a black SUV that pulled onto the highway near my house was still behind me (I drive about a half hour to school and back every day) I thought it was strange but shook it off. It followed me almost to the school, but when I turned to drive into the parking lot, it continued down the road. I was pretty upset because I thought it was an undercover cop car and I thought I was going to get pulled over for something.

Upon leaving, I noticed that halfway home a similar SUV was following me once again, but far enough back so every time I went around a turn I would only catch a glimpse of it before I turned the next corner. It continued to almost to my house, so I took a detour and started hitting up some back roads. The SUV vanished... but I was still shaken up.

I haven't seen the SUV's since then, and I don't really go on y! answers anymore because of that whole ordeal. I have not really even spoken again about Facebook until now... because one of my friends brought the subject up, It reminded me that I wanted to share this experience with ATS.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? what do you guys think? maybe I'm just paranoid. who knows.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I think the government is much smarter than that. They now follow people in ominous-looking, black Priuses.
(Even the NSA is "greening up.")

Seriously, they are not going after small-beans like you. If you had a folder full of memos with proof. . . Well.

[edit on 8-12-2008 by clay2 baraka]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I am a Facebook user with way too much information about me on it, although nothing incriminating.

I am also a paranoid ATS Member.

Facebook is a friend networking tool to let them know how you are going and what you are up to and vice versa. If you don't want to let people know how you are going then don't use Facebook.

Could it be used for something a little more sinister? Most likely yes, however, like i said previously i have nothing there that can incriminate me so i don't have to worry.

If a government agency wants to know where i went to University, where i last went on holiday and what my current status is... I am sure there is nothing i can do to stop them from finding out and i am pretty confident in thinking they don't need Facebook to find that stuff out anyway.

[edit on 8/12/2008 by SilentShadow]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
yeah... but i feel like it could possibly be more than the government looking at the information on facebook. what about media? if they know your interests, they can base their productions around that and possibly make you pay more attention to what they're saying.

idk i'm probably not making any sense. I really just kind of wanted to share my experience. like I said... I'm probably just paranoid and it was probably a weird coincidence... but there's always that "what if..." that rots in the back of my mind.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
thread to add to this thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit to add: i also use facebook, but could care less what they find on it because they're going to find out eventually.... they always do

[edit on 8-12-2008 by baseball101]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Well, i am a member of facebook..... and i made a point of listing all my interests which included ''conspiracies, government cover ups, nwo, illuminati etc etc....

Nothing has ever happened to me BUT i do know someone who is heavily involved with anti-gov groups and middle eastern relations.... he is extremely verbal in his accusations (especially on his status updates!) and as he is in palestine right now, he documents what he is seeing etc.

He has posted a few videos and links not only onto his profile but also through facebook chat.... he recently sent me a link through chat, and chat function was disabled 30 seconds later.

He began doing this purposely to see if it was a coincidence, and sure enough, it kept happening, and his links (usually about palestine/israel, mossed, usa, he even exposed how starbucks funds criminal activity in the middle east!) kept vanishing from his page....

He then had someone add him as a friend on facebook, after a few heated debates with this mystery person, he blocked him (which should mean the blocked person cannot contact or msg the other person).... he was still recieving msgs from this mystery man, which became quite threatening in nature.

The guy in question is from canada, is not allowed in the usa, and knows he is being monitered. But even he was surprised at how quickly facebook responded to his links etc.
Ultimately, my friend is just a super intelligent guy, who is trying to get truths out and promote peace.

So i guess we can draw our own conclusions, i was not really bothered before, but seeing how my friend has all this going on with facebook. It has made me think, and led me to believe facebook maybe more sinister than i first thought.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentShadow
I am a Facebook user with way too much information about me on it, although nothing incriminating.

So what makes it "way too much information" if it's "nothing incriminating"? Just curious--seems a self-contradictory statement.

I am also a paranoid ATS Member.

paranoid

As has been stated elsewhere:

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that the entire world is not out to get you.

Facebook is a friend networking tool to let them know how you are going and what you are up to and vice versa. If you don't want to let people know how you are going then don't use Facebook.

You are a good advocate for Facebook. Clearly, you enjoy the benefits that it offers you. Which, of course, is entirely your right.

Could it be used for something a little more sinister? Most likely yes, however, like i said previously i have nothing there that can incriminate me so i don't have to worry.

Technically, noone ever has to worry. Nor does anyone ever have to look behind the curtain.

If a government agency wants to know where i went to University, where i last went on holiday and what my current status is... I am sure there is nothing i can do to stop them from finding out and i am pretty confident in thinking they don't need Facebook to find that stuff out anyway.

Your emphasis shows that you are taking an adamant stance about this. And you are correct, I believe, in your assumption that the government can set aside the resources to track an individual. This is what intelligence agencies do. However, it's even easier when millions of individuals freely submit sometimes-very-personal information on the Internet.

Just a thought.

You obviously understand that what you post on faceBook, MYspace, or any similar web site is subject to scrutiny.

Take care.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsTheQuestion
So what makes it "way too much information" if it's "nothing incriminating"? Just curious--seems a self-contradictory statement.

Here is an example:

- Posting a picture of my birth certificate is too much information.
- Posting a picture of me smoking a joint while smashing someone's car window is something incriminating.

Originally posted by ItsTheQuestion
Your emphasis shows that you are taking an adamant stance about this. And you are correct, I believe, in your assumption that the government can set aside the resources to track an individual. This is what intelligence agencies do. However, it's even easier when millions of individuals freely submit sometimes-very-personal information on the Internet.

You got half my point. The other half was the tongue in cheek statement regarding the actual information they would glean from my account.

Originally posted by SilentShadow
If a government agency wants to know where i went to University, where i last went on holiday and what my current status is...

My point is that all the information they can get is stuff they already have. Where i went to university, they have that on record. Where i went on holiday? That's what scanning your passport is all about.

As for the government caring about your Facebook status:

"SilentShadow is reading e-mail's... ahahahah Rupert the one you sent me is sooooo LOL"

What information are they really gaining?

The worst i think Facebook does and can do is tailor advertisements through your information. As soon as i told Facebook i was engaged suddenly all ads were for wedding supplies.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that the gov does not need to use facebook to get any info about you. Whatever info they need about you...they already have. Most of us have cell phones, which means they can track us and see what were up to at any point. If the whole black suv things is true, it was probably more to make and example out of you for people like us...

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
READ, and be paranoid.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Use the google search function to your top right..and find lots more.

new topics

top topics

join