It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What turns the Earth on its own axis, at a constant speed, day in day out, each and every day ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Can anyone explain this? and how is it that all but one of the planets in our solar system as well as the sun all rotate (counter-clockwise) ? and how do the planets manage to not attract or repel eachother? and how do they all seem to rotate around the sun in the same horizontal plane? does gravity or magnetic fields have anything to do with this?

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Well the Earth spins on axis because it was hit by another planet called Theia which in turn created the moon.
I believe that they sping C-Clockwise because of the magnetic pulls from other planets and the sun.

The rest I could try and explain, but I would probally get it wrong
So ill leave it to the experts in the field

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Can I add to this?

Do the moons of planets orbit on the same parallel 'horizontal'(flat) plane or are they at different angles?

Thanks

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
yes most do... the planets in our solar system and most moons (with the exception of either jupiter or saturn) all rotate counter clockwise on their axis as well as counter clockwise around the sun... and the sun also spins counter clockwise on it's axis... recently scientists discovered that a conduit connecting the earth and the sun exists whereby electrically charged atoms are being moved back and forth... so i think if they had satelites orbiting other planets...they would find that they all have this same connection with the sun as well...accounts for how all the planets stay neutrally charged... maybe our solar system is one giant electric engine....

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Also a very good question!

Is it that all the planets orbit around the "equator" of the Sun? Or am I completely wrong?

Id also like to ask a question lol
As one I asked in another thread never got answered

But what happen to "us" or life on earth in General if the speed at which the earth spins was to increase? And what would be too fast? I.e. At which speed would the resulting change cause a centrifugal effect? If that were indeed possible?

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
www.livescience.com...

artical about connection between earth and sun....

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Kliskey

yes all planets rotate around the sun at the "equator" with the orentation of the sun being the top is north and the bottom is south relative to the earths north and south poles

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Kliskey

well considering the earth has been slowing down.... the only way we would speed up would be to have an outside force somehow speed us up.... and i dont know if anyone would still be around if that were to happen....

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by iismtivu
Can anyone explain this? and how is it that all but one of the planets in our solar system as well as the sun all rotate (counter-clockwise) ? and how do the planets manage to not attract or repel eachother? and how do they all seem to rotate around the sun in the same horizontal plane? does gravity or magnetic fields have anything to do with this?

The formation of the Solar System is the answer to much of what you are asking. It formed from a rotating disk of material. As the material coalesced the angular momentum was maintained and transferred to the planets (and the sun), causing them to rotate. The original rotating disk was formed by gravity. The disk is also the reason the planets are all in (close to) the same orbital plane.

The rotational axes of Venus and Uranus are extremely tilted. Venus at 177 degrees and Uranus at 98 degrees. The reason is not known but the main theory is that collisions with large objects early in the formation of the Solar System may account for it.

The planets are gravitationally attracted to each other but the gravity of the sun is far stronger so they all orbit the sun. Magnetism is not involved.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
so are you saying that the other planets have no magnetic field???? does the sun have a magnetic field????? why would there be energy transfer between sun and planets if there is no magnetism? and couldn't it be said that what we feel as gravity is possibly the movement of this energy from the sun which enters the earth at the magnetic? norht pole travels through the earth and exits through the south pole to return to the sun completing a circuit? and where there is current flow there is always a magnetic field....

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
so what then keeps the planets from being drawn towards eachother? or drawn towards the sun? i think that all the planets have magnetic fields and also all have a connection to the sun, which helps keep all the planets at a neutral charge... seeing how like charges repel...this would explain why everything doesn't just implode....also might explain "gravity wells" and light bending around planets....

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   

so are you saying that the other planets have no magnetic field???? does the sun have a magnetic field????? why would there be energy transfer between sun and planets if there is no magnetism? and couldn't it be said that what we feel as gravity is possibly the movement of this energy from the sun which enters the earth at the magnetic? norht pole travels through the earth and exits through the south pole to return to the sun completing a circuit? and where there is current flow there is always a magnetic field....

Venus has no planetary magnetic field nor does Mars. The planets that do have magnetic fields (like Earth) produce them on their own. The sun does have a magnetic field that reverses about every 11 years.

I'm not sure what you mean by energy transfer between the sun and planets. The sun radiates energy to the planets. There is also the solar wind but the planets do not transfer energy to the sun.

Gravity and magnetism are not energy, they are fields of force. Gravity and magnetism behave very differently. For example, there is no "north" and "south" with gravity. Gravity does not affect magnetism and magnetism does not affect gravity.

[edit on 12/4/2008 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

so what then keeps the planets from being drawn towards eachother? or drawn towards the sun? i think that all the planets have magnetic fields and also all have a connection to the sun, which helps keep all the planets at a neutral charge... seeing how like charges repel...this would explain why everything doesn't just implode....also might explain "gravity wells" and light bending around planets....

The planets are "falling" around the sun, the same as satellites "fall" around the Earth. You can call it centripetal force but that's not precisely correct. The force of gravity balances the centripetal force.
It's like spinning a ball on a string around your head.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
A little off topi, If you were to put a really large asteroid such as Ceres and place in Mar's orbit. Would this gravity pull cause friction with the Martain core and spark off a magnetic field that could ultimately protect the planet from solar rays?

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
well i think those 2 planets do have a magnetic field...seeing how they move through the suns magnetic field they would build up a static charge and thus induce a magnetic field..... did you read the link i posted....scientis found a matter stream connecting the earth and sun and measured current flow between the 2.....

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

well i think those 2 planets do have a magnetic field...seeing how they move through the suns magnetic field they would build up a static charge and thus induce a magnetic field..... did you read the link i posted....scientis found a matter stream connecting the earth and sun and measured current flow between the 2.....

Magnetic fields are created by electrical current flowing through a circuit (Faraday's law) not by a static charge. Probes to Venus and Mars have found no planetary magnetic fields for either planet.

Yes I read (last month) about the magnetic flux events. They are caused by interaction of the Earth's magnetic field with the Sun's. There is no current when the "connection" is active. A current requires a circuit. There is a one way flow of particles from the Sun to the Earth. The flow does not create a magnetic field, it is created by the magnetic field.

[edit on 12/4/2008 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Called a flux transfer event, or FTE, such cosmic connections not only exist but are possibly twice as common as anyone ever imagined, a magnetic portal connecting Earth's magnetic field connecting to the sun's. The spacecraft is on hand to measure the high-energy particles and fields flowing through the portal. Credit: NASA

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
so if FTE's are not moving energy back and forth ...how does the earth and the sun and other planets keep a "neutral charge" ??? or are all those ions in the form of light pelting us from the sun not causing a build up of electrical charge???

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Magnetic fields can be induced... and i would say that the magnetic field of the sun along with the thousands of volts of electricity given off in the form of ions would be a pretty good source for inducing one.....

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
doesn't the earth have 2 magnetic fields???.... one created by the spinning metal core of the earth.... the other ???? induced by the earth moving through the suns magnetic field????

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join