It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Fishing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Hi guys.

I have read some very good posts on here about survival fishing.
I was digging through my shed last week when I stumbled across my old crabbing line.

I thought that it would be a great addition to my BOB as not only can it be of use while fishing but the braided line can also be used as many other great survival things.

What do you guys think, is it worth it or not ????

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a drift net would be best i think

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Yeah good idea,
I was just thinking of the extra uses that you would also get out of the crab line if needed.
the first being fishing, there are also other uses and it could also give you a decent spinning hand line if needed.

Just an Idea.
Can any of you survival folk out there see any potential in a having a crab line in your BOB ???

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by colec156

If it's not to heavy, and made out of steel, it would have innumerable uses. Fishing, trapping, tying up shelter. I could go on and on.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Only catch shellfish and bottom feeders off-shore,red tide is deadly,talk to local fishermen ,there's nothing like bringing home food for survival, only to die from it.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
....iv always wanted to try bow fishing

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Survival fishing,i would say gillnetting would be the best,do your research many near/on-shore fish and crustations(SP?) are poisonous ,and people will do stupid things when hungry,no sense getting sick or dying trying to stay alive,same goes for plants/animals and shrooms,i would stay away from shrooms,ALWAYS HAVE A FIELD BOOK,again do your research before tshtf!

[edit on 3-12-2008 by all2human]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TrainDispatcher

so much for catch and release

but in a survival situation, yeah that would be great

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by colec156

We use Crab Pots with a buoy for Dungeness and King Crab. Not sure how a crab line works. How do the little critters stay on the bait/hook? As far a usefullness for a BOB I don't know. A weighted long line with multiple hooks and a buoy isn't a bad idea. Your BOB's contents should be dual purpose meaning just that everything in it should be able to serve multiple roles. But we're talking about a BOB, it's a bag/pack you grab and run out the door with. For long term survival from a "home base" I would say have as many food procuring devices available as you can store, and that are relevant to your surroundings. No use having a crab pot in Indiana ya know.

The Undertaker

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
trot lines would be good in survival; that way you could hunt and come back later.

Also, braided line has no abrasion resistance, so I don't use it. Run it over a rock, to cut it. You won't even need scissors or a knife, so thats not a good thing.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by The Undertaker

Hu undertaker.

I mean crab lines not crab pots.
type one into a search engine or on ebay or something.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Trot Lines would be best, i have used them many times in the past.
Great way of getting fish without spending hours and hours wating.

Use jugs and weights and go all the way accrost the body of water, or just use limbs of overhanging tree's or both..
You can set them in the morning, check them in the evening , rebait, get your catch, and have the rest of the day doing other stuff.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

Definitely the most efficient use of time and energy

Set a schedule.If it doesn't produce results at evening check times,try setting at night and checking in the morning.

Some fish are late sleepers

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
When I was a kid, I used to tie a small piece of waste chicken to a string and lower it in to the water next to a pier or barnacle covered structure. I would remain very still and wait to feel a light tugging on the string. When I felt the tugging, I would pull the chicken towards the surface slowly, a finger width at a time. finger over finger until I could just see the crab eating at the chicken. With one smooth action, I would pull the sting/crab to the surface and swoop a fish net from below the crab and capture it.

In just a few hours I would have an entire bucket of crabs. (The piece of chicken would last all day)

My Father grew up in New Jersey during the depression and taught me many poor man fishing, clamming, & crabbing techniques.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by The Undertaker

Your crab pots could be modified slightly to make box traps. A little heavy to just toss over your shoulder and bug out though. Take them if your driving your truck to your bug out spot.

new topics

top topics

join