It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Foods

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I'm constructing a 72 hour B.O.B. (Bail out Bag) and am wondering what food items you recommend. In my pack I have:

1) Hard Candies

2) salt, pepper, sugar packs

3) Rice (can be prepared with or without heat)

4) Canned beans (great survival food)

5) 2400 Calorie ER Food Bars (7 enough for a week of 2400 calories a day)

6) Power Bars

7) Several MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat)

I know this is enough for well over 72 hours but it's in a bag ready to go in an emergency and really the 72 hour bag is just a general term for a +day survival kit.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I'm constructing a 72 hour B.O.B. (Bail out Bag) and am wondering what food items you recommend. In my pack I have:

1) Hard Candies

2) salt, pepper, sugar packs

4) Canned beans (great survival food)

5) 2400 Calorie ER Food Bars (7 enough for a week of 2400 calories a day)

6) Power Bars

7) Several MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat)

I know this is enough for well over 72 hours but it's in a bag ready to go in an emergency and really the 72 hour bag is just a general term for a +day survival kit.

Humans can survive for days without food. They can only survive a short while without fluids.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Yeah that's the rule of 3

1. Humans cannot survive more than three minutes without air
2. Humans cannot survive more than three hours exposed to extreme low (or possibly high) temperature
3. Humans cannot survive more than three days without water
4. Humans cannot survive more than three weeks without food

So a snorkel is first on the list lol...followed by shelter...water then food. We need all pieces but I find to maintain a sense of well being food is very important.

[edit on 11/26/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

4) 2400 Calorie ER Food Bars

What method do you use to prepare rice without heat? Have you tried those bars before? If so, how were they?

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
You can just soak rice in unheated water and with time it will absorb the water. I've never done it but read you could do this. I think I will test it out tonight and report here with my findings tomorrow.

As for the 2400 calorie bars I hear they are not bad but the good thing is that they last for 5 years, require no water and provide a days worth of usable calories and vitamins in each very small package. In a survival situation that's really tough to beat imo.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Tuna Packs! (Tuna in the foil envelope)

Cheap at the supermarket, store brands even.

Chocolate bars & Almonds.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Lard. Tons of calories, a little bit goes a long way, and will supplement low-fat game.

Honey. Antimicrobial and nutritious.

Sorghum. Rich in vitamins, energy and calories.

Salt. Must have to live. Great trade item.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I am a hunter, and one staple I carry in any bag is jerky. Usually deer jerky, but if you don't like that, any jerky you prefer will do. I also have some candy for a bit of a pick me up when needed. You might also want a couple fo five hour energy shots.

TINSTACT

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
There is a thread over here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

about survival food

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I have not tried that brand bar but I have tried another. it was great if you like lemon. Fortunately I do. you also have to watch out Some of these can make you very thirsty. So please keep that in mind. Here is the one I tried, and now keep in most of my BOB's

Main stay food bar

I bought from that company once. great service fast delivery. kinda expensive on most stuff. Other then being a customer once I have no affiliation to that site. Just CMA Don't wanna get banned again.

[edit on 26-11-2008 by angryamerican]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
LRRP rations. Freeze dried stuff, tasty, and doesn't weigh much. Weight is definitely a limiting factor. Quick to fix, and can eat cold.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
the candles that you can blow out then they light up again, used on birthday cakes. they could come in handy if it is windy out and to start a fire .to start fires i use a candle ,a small fat one. i keep them in a ziplock along with matches in a seperate ziplock with a rubber band to keep them together. take good care humans.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by solomamkkane

I think you accidentally posted in the wrong lizardking thread. I believe you want the one for fire starting with Vaseline

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Ok, I'm glad I was questioned on the rice. I've had 1/3 cup rice soaking in 1/3 cup of tap water for 17 hours now and the rice is still a bit crunchy. It's edible and has soaked up maybe 75% of the water but there is still a crunch.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I was a little concerned about eating raw rice so I googled it. In case anybody bis wondering it wont kill you but it really isn't good either. The body has to work very hard to try to digest it. it uses more energy then it gives. It is also rumored by some to cause very bad stomach cramps.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Hey does anyone know how long spam can sit in a can?

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

ask.metafilter.com...

there it is i suppose, just smell it and......oh wait, never mind. you wouldnt be able to tell if it was still good that way.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Homemade pemmican is good..I find M.R.E.s to bulky I've lived for weeks on the small packets of oatmeal for breakfast ,energy bars for lunch and ramen noodles with something added ,a small pack of tuna,chicken,ham or shredded jerky..After living on this for several weeks,you'l never want to eat ramen noodles again as long as you live. Also dried fruit and candy are a good extra to have...The thing I have found is that eating the same thing every day gets old quick..Something special for a change up is worth the little extra wieght..It helps the spirit alot..Also some type of powdered drink mix, makes a big difference...Hell ,some times when I'm backpacking I'll take along a couple of beers or a flask of brandy,just because you're roughing it, doesn't mean you can't have a little enjoyment....Variety makes a big difference.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I like Spam....I think. Can't really remember eating it but I'm thinking I did as a kid. Anyway it is pork so how bad can it be (please don't list what's in spam you will probably ruin it for me)? This seems like a perfect food for a survival food bag or cache. You can count me in!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join