It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to move to a new planet says WWF

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) is predicting a grim future for humanity. It believes the current financial woes are just the beginning of a far more worrying crisis.
According to its latest research one in five people around the globe will experience starvation in the next few years and cholera and malaria will spread.

By 2010, it says, many water resources are likely to disappear which could lead to wars.

The World Wildlife Fund believes humans could then become extinct.

Some activists say the solution is to find a new planet to populate.

We wont be surprised if your descendants lived on Mars in a few hundred years !!

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Thanks for posting, this is important stuff. I also found this article on WWF's website:

Two planets by 2030

The recent downturn in the global economy is a stark reminder of the consequences of living beyond our means. But the possibility of financial recession pales in comparison to the looming ecological credit crunch.

"If we continue with business as usual, we will need two planets by 2030 to keep up with humanity's demand for goods and services," cautions Dr Morne du Plessis, CEO of WWF South Africa, speaking at the launch of the Living Planet Report 2008.

The report, published every two years since 1998, has become widely accepted as an accurate statement of Earth's ability to retain its functional integrity as a "living planet". The Ecological Footprint analysis shows that while global biocapacity - the area available to produce our resources and capture our emissions - is 2.1 global hectares per person.

The average individual footprint worldwide is 2.7 global ha. Thus, we are exceeding the Earth's carrying capacity by about 30% on average.

The report finds that the USA and China have the largest national footprints, each in total about 21 per cent of global biocapacity (the productive area of the earth), but US citizens each require an average of 9.4 global ha (or nearly 4.5 Planet Earths if the global population had US consumption patterns), while Chinese citizens use on average 2.1 global ha per person. Biocapacity is unevenly distributed, with eight nations - the United States, Brazil, Russia, China, India, Canada, Argentina and Australia - containing more than half the world total.

Population and consumption patterns make three of these countries ecological debtors, with footprints greater than their national biocapacity - the United States (footprint 1.8 times national biocapacity), China (2.3 times) and India ( 2.2 times).

According to Du Plessis, the average individual footprints of South Africans sits at 2.1 global hectares per person slightly below the world average of 2.7gha.

"While this seems very positive," says Du Plessis, "We must bear in mind that this does not indicate that you and I are necessarily living sustainable lifestyles. There is still a large gap between rich and poor in our nation and the reality is that this creates a biased perception of individual footprints."

www.panda.org.za...

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I dont want to take this post off topic,but it has to do with the new planet thing anyway.Say there was a planet 10,000 light years away from our own with similiar attributes.Could a shuttle in question with our technology travel there and still have power at the end of the trip via rationing of solar power or what have you? Because if thats easy...we are only one step away from doing so in the future i think with cryogenic freezing and genetic manipulation.The wood frog freezes in the winter but it releases a chemical? i think that stops cells rupturing...so could we not be frozen for hundreds of thousands of years and packed into huge *cargo* ships if you will? Its a bit out there,but if we *really* needed to get off the earth i think it would be plausable if money was thrown at it.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I do not understand one thing - what is easier and cheaper:
A) To move population large enough to terraform a planet and survive as a species with current (or even 2010) level of technology...
B) Or try to fix things on this planet, specifically "designed" for us while investing in space research?
I would suggest to put WWF guys that suggested that and send them to Moon/Mars in 2010. How long will they survive?

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
You only need to look at the people behind this organisation and its former presidents to realise this is pure propaganda,there is more than enough for everyone on the planet,problem is it dosent correlate with their plan for us all.

new topics

top topics

join