It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think missionaries should be outlawed

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
having a discussion that there are perhaps 1 or 2 million "enlightened" people on Earth, and most of these are in uncivilized countries. The same places where most missionaries head off too.

I like that

And I feel that just might be the case. And perhaps God is having some entertainment with that irony.

I wonder when missionaries come across one of the 'enlightened' on their travels, what comes of it?... I'd love to see it take place. See the exchange

I imagine the enlightened one pouring them a cup of tea and just smiling the whole time. Or something to that affect

[edit on 14-11-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
As a teenager in Cincinnati, I was asked to take a trip for a week of missionary work. We, about 12 teenagers and our minister drove to Tennessee to help in a small community that was impoverished. Never once did we try to convert anyone. Some of the things we accomplished during that week was painting inside and out a house belonging to an elderly couple, too poor and too feeble to maintain their home. We built, yes, built a small house for a woman with 5 kids who lived in a shack that was sided with cardboard. We built her a nice home, small, but bigger than she had, and was warmer in the winter than she was accustomed to. And we installed a better antenna on the roof so she could get a few more stations on her TV, which helped entertain her during the long cold winters. We visited an old woman who lived in a cabin on top of a mountain. She had only been off the mountain once in her life. She went to a little "town". It had a store and a post office. There were too many people for her and she vowed to never go to "civilization" again. lol. She didn't have much food and said she really missed eating squirrel and she could no longer see well enough to go squirrel hunting. So two of us went out and got her some squirrel and she cooked a delicious stew. We helped an old man who had raised a hog, but didn't have the strength to do all that was needed to slaughter the hog so he and his wife would have meat for the winter and spring. So we did it all for him, while listening to his instructions. Just saying.....being a missionary isn't all about converting somebody. It can be a mission of mercy and assistance and kindness.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I think they probably came across many, many "enlightened" folks when they started colonizind the Americas.

At best I think they would find some kind of scriptural reason to villify that person's ideas. For instance I attended a church where the preacher absolutely blasted Ghandi because he didn't beleive in Jesus even though he was one of the clearest emulations of the Christian ideals.

At worst I think they would, in most cases indirectly, kill that person.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

That sounds like a wonderful trip and I truly commend you and also Dizziedame for your efforts.

This is NOT the kind of thing that we are talking about here, though.

It's the people who go to other countries, and intentionally try to decimate the culture there because it is not "godly," often circumventing the laws of the land in the process.

And especially those who force their children to partake.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

i think there is a distinction between "service" and "missionary".

as an extended family, we go out every christmas and do a secret santa, leaving no trace of ourselves for discovery.

its called service.

missionaries have something to sell.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
reply to post by kyred

i think there is a distinction between "service" and "missionary".

as an extended family, we go out every christmas and do a secret santa, leaving no trace of ourselves for discovery.

its called service.

missionaries have something to sell.

I agree with your interpetation. The term "missionary" has traditionally been used to describe those who proselytize or spread their religious beliefs to other cultures. Providing assistance to communities with absolutely no inclusion of religious belief does not fall under the "missionary" umbrella, as far as colloquial definitions are concerned. It is simply aid work.

[edit on 15/11/08 by paperplanes]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Providing medical care is one thing, but trying to convert natives to Christianity is wrong. I'm far from an expert on this but I have watched numerous nat geo, discovery, etc. shows that mention missionaries came and now the tribe of natives have learned of the Christian God and put their ancestral beliefs behind them. One show in particular, was Living with the Mek tribe. The missionaries come with clothes, modern things and teach them about god. The old ways are soon to be forgotten entirely, and Christianity is replacing it. The Op was right when he said cultures were going to be lost forever. It's quite sad. I say leave them to their own beliefs, but medical care for the sick is ok.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Clark W. Griswold

...and this is where the anti-missionary argument goes downhill: the sad "loss" of other cultures and the beach is underneath the pavement argument.

are you willing to throw the entire concept of progress out the window?

if not, then why would you be willing to deny someone the opportunity of progress simply because you dont want to destroy their precious little land-locked juju-worshipping tribe?

i am not prepared to place MY beliefs over anyone else's, but i am also unwilling to deny the fact that there actually IS a better way of life!

like most important things in life, it is an unsolvable paradox. the minute one trys to solve it, the all-important paradox is destroyed.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

Well that's fine. But I think it would only be fair then, if every one who thinks 'they know best' should try and convert you to their beliefs for the rest of your life.

Because honestly, I believe I have a better way of life for you. Maybe we can get coffee some time?

**I don't believe this. I don't know if I do or not. But I think you see my point?**

[edit on 15-11-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   

perhaps you missed this part:

i am not prepared to place MY beliefs over anyone else's...

please do not send the missos to my door. i have a tendency to be 'polite yet blunt' with them.

coffee sounds nice, tho.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by flyingwoody

who would be you trading partners if many of these countries hadn't been part of a missionary?

would you remove then the missionary and the organisation from relief and aid work now?

david

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

Oh I read and understood that part.

I also understood it to be in conflict with the rest of that post.

You said the anti-missionary argument went out the window. Suggesting support for missionaries.

This was confirmed by stating that you supported 'progress' and you defined progress in this context in that these tribes were lacking a 'better way of life', which the missionaries are obviously privy to. Thus suggesting these missionaries should "place MY beliefs over anyone else's".

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   

that the missionaries "may be" privvy to. and in this way, i am making us all to be missionaries in our own lives.

i do not feel sadness for the loss of any specific culture to progress. if ever the theory of evolution (survival of the fittest) has a provable application, it is in social science.

and i ask, "why should not everyone be afforded the opportunity at a better life?"

just because the term "better life" comes into question does not contradict that the opportunity should be given.

it is touchy. but i believe that the beach is not beneath the pavement. nothin' but dirt under there. lets make this planet better and not just wallow in mediocrity simply because we're afraid of hurting someones feelings.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

Oh I completely, full heartedly, believe in progress, and uniting the entire World with it.

But I would argue whether what the missionaries are selling is 'the better way' to begin with.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   

I think that's the whole point of the thread. It's not fair on the people receiving the missionaries. And it's very rarely in the name of progress, rather it's often in the pursuit of making "different" [heathen] people the same as "us".

It borders on racism, I believe. The same kind of bigotry as the idea of a cure for homosexuality (tying into the other thread).

[edit on 15/11/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Where did you get the notion that missionaries don't want people to have guns. That is a false notion.

I have several guns. I do not hate gays. I believe in a woman's right to control her body and have an abortion if she so chooses.

How many missionaries do you personally know?

Show me proof that all missionaries don't want you to have a weapon. I and many of my friends are short term missionaries. We own guns. We belong to gun clubs and shot in competition. I have a dirt berm on my property where I regularly shoot.

Engage your mind, do some extensive research and then you will know the truth.

I never pushed any belief down anyone's throat. I pulled their rotten teeth, cleaned their septic wounds, gave them worm treatments, kissed dying snot nosed babies. I showed universal love by example.

What have you done for humanity?

[edit on 15-11-2008 by dizziedame]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Man you totally missed his point. It was a joke. He was essentially suggesting that missionaries (the converty type) would try to convert him at their own risk because he has a gun.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
We have to stop colonization first, that is the cause of missionaries.

I am sick of the fact that now in the 21st century still so many countries have colonies overseas.

The world will never become a better place with this stealing of land.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

Would that include the friggen proxy states like Georgia? Nothing like stealing the land around Russia to piss them off.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame

What have you done for humanity?

What have I not done for humanity?

*And yes, Gold Wolf's interpretation of that post is correct. I thought my use of the word "humorous" and my strategically placed "j/k" and "
" would have done the trick
Sorry bout that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join