It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are all right wingers like Bush?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Are all right wingers like Bush, trying to impose their religious views on us?

If so I hope we never have a Republican President again so we don't go backwards another 8 years. I want progress to be made. I don't want to go backwards in terms of civil rights.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Nah... Bush is a Neo-conservative...

Right wing conservatives and Neo-cons are different animals... hence the divide in the Republican party these days...

We'll see what approach the Republicans decide to take, they are holding a summit tomorrow to try and save their party...

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
Are all right wingers like Bush, trying to impose their religious views on us?

If so I hope we never have a Republican President again so we don't go backwards another 8 years. I want progress to be made. I don't want to go backwards in terms of civil rights.
I don't think Bush particularly tried to inflict his religious views on the public. But groups like the Moral Majority, Focus on the Family, etc, did try to inflict the fundie/conservative agenda. I seperate them from other conservatives such as fiscal or economic conservatives.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Yes.

But I could be wrong.

[edit on 7-11-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

Webster's Dictionary defines conservative as follows
Conservative: disposed to maintaining existing views, conditions, and institutions.

To me, this is the exact opposite of progress. So I agree, I too would like to not see a conservative president for a long, long time. That being said though, if we have to see another one in the near future, I hope it is a true fiscal conservative, one who can maintain a national budget. In fact, the only type of conservative I can tolerate is, a fiscal conservative. That is, so long as he does not try and impose ridiculous, impractical, and incorrect conservative economic theories like Trickle Down/Supply Side/Reaganomics. Maintaining a low federal expenses so as to maintain a low tax rate is fine with me, giving huge tax benefits to the rich in hopes that they share, is not.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Conservative and Republican are no longer the same thing. And no not all Republicans or Conservatives are like Bush. If you want to find a good example of what the republican party used to stand for find a copy of Conscience of a Conservative by Barry Goldwater. He ran against Johnson in '64.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by BluegrassRevolutionary
Webster's Dictionary defines conservative as follows
Conservative: disposed to maintaining existing views, conditions, and institutions.

To me, this is the exact opposite of progress.

Exactly.

In fact, the moment we have a really great system in place, is the moment I officially become a conservative

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
If you are really interested, read the Tamworth Manifesto, which is the original consitution of the Conservative party of the UK.

The summary is basically that conservatism seeks to find a balance between conservation and progress. The basis of progress must be that it is careful, considered and worthwhile.

So basically conservatism is a more cautious approach to change than radicalism.

And let's be honest, if the citizens of the USA had been conservative the whole time, the government might actually have followed the constitution and bill of rights a bit more closely.

As for your original question, hell no. Im conservative and Bush is a neo-con. We are in no way similar.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
And let's be honest, if the citizens of the USA had been conservative the whole time, the government might actually have followed the constitution and bill of rights a bit more closely.

Therein lies the problem though.

Since we have deviated from those original things we were supposed to conserve, we are where we are at now. And where we are now, is not where the conservatives of then wanted us to be.

So in order to restore things to the way the conservatives of then would would have wanted it to be, one would have to be a liberal, or even a radical.

You conserve or you change. When you land on something good, you try and conserve it while being cautious to change. But when you find yourself in a mess, far from something good, then you take strides for big changes with little to conserve.

[edit on 7-11-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
-snip-

As for your original question, hell no. Im conservative and Bush is a neo-con. We are in no way similar.

Word!

www.elite.net...

new topics

top topics

join