It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big business prepares for a less friendly Washington

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Big business prepares for a less friendly Washington

www.mcclatchydc.com

WASHINGTON — After years of playing offense, big business is getting ready for the less familiar role of playing defense following President-elect Barack Obama's victory and legislative gains by other Democrats.

Corporate America enjoyed favorable treatment under the Bush administration for almost eight years and for most of the era of Republican control of Congress from 1995 to 2007.

Now unions may gain a stronger hand, and business is bracing for greater financial regulation, worker-friendly policies and an emphasis on social spending.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Excuse me while I shed some crocodile tears.

After years of having a puppet in the oval office more than willing to overturn regulations or to rewrite them to favor business over the consumer... the time of accountablity has come.

The whole mess that has led up to the crisis we are currently in is states evidence number one why big business and the financial sector needs to be reigned in and be made accountable for their behavior.

They will whimper and whine that regulation is destroying business and threaten to that their operations elsewhere. Big deal. They are already taking their operations else where and the American middle class is suffering and as for destroying business... with crappy products and even crappier customer service... they are doing that to themselves already.

Society is more than an agragate of business concerns... it is a community of people.

www.mcclatchydc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I see what you're trying to say, but the government cannot employ everybody, grover. The American worker may be the backbone of our economy, but business is the spinal cord. Eliminate that and suddenly you've got an empty backbone that just sits there, doing nothing, going nowhere, and serving no purpose.

This is a major tightrope walk now that we opened Pandora's Box and bailed out Wall Street (a move also approved of by Mr. Obama, btw). We've lost the days when the government allows capitalism to do its thing, losing or gaining based on its own merit. The rope walk will be managing to not assist business to the degree the bailouts did, while also managing to not pass so many restrictions and limits on them that they say "screw this" and pack up shop to move their work elsewhere. It was all so freaking simple before NAFTA and before Bush's moves that increased outsourcing and before the bipartisan bailout. Our last two presidents and our current congress have sucked us dry.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Well without the workers business is nothing but a bunch of suits running around trying to look important.

I have little or no respect for the managerial class.... someone who goes to college to learn how to manage is pretty much like the OCS 90 day wonders in the military... Now if a person has worked their way up... that's another story all together.

As it stands the profits at all cost crowd has all but destroyed the middle class and all but crippled this country... as big and resource rich as we are... the notion is we have to import from china as opposed to making it here or having to call someone in a calling center in Bombay is deeply offensive to me.

I am no knee jerk jingoist but the situation we find ourselves is is absurd.

top topics

join