It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cure for Obesity Discovered!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
From the looks of it, this could improve many, many lives

French scientists say they have found a drug that tricks the body into burning off fat even when on a high-fat diet.

The University of Louis Pasteur team found the drug protected mice against weight gain and insulin resistance.

The drug SRT1720 - a chemical cousin of red wine extract resveratrol - targets the protein SIRT1, which is thought to combat ageing, Cell Metabolism reports.

The French team from the University Louis Pasteur became interested in the SIRT1 protein after earlier studies showing resveratrol countered some effects of a high-calorie diet via SIRT1.

But tests in mice suggested gallons of wine would be necessary for humans to stand a chance of getting the same benefits.

The scientists turned their attention to creating a more potent drug that would specifically target SIRT1.

They found that a low dose of SRT1720 partially protected mice from gaining weight on a high-fat diet after 10 weeks of treatment.

The drug worked by shifting the metabolism to a fat-burning mode that normally takes over only when energy levels are low.

At higher doses, the drug completely prevented weight gain. It also improved the rodents' blood sugar tolerance and insulin sensitivity, which are important for warding off diabetes.

The mice showed no sign of side effects. However, the scientists say further studies are needed to test the drug's safety and efficacy before it could be used in humans.

Other scientists are investigating SIRT1 activators similar to SRT1720 developed by Sirtris Pharmaceuticals.

Professor Stephen Bloom, who has been researching obesity at Imperial College London, said: "This sounds interesting but is terribly early.

"We do need new treatments for obesity, particularly as there are 1,000 deaths a week in the UK from obesity."

Prof Ian Broom, of the Centre for Obesity Research and Epidemiology at The Robert Gordon University, said: "Research in this area is to be welcomed as an additional route of combating the obesity epidemic and associated comorbid disease."

Source

I myself am not overweight, but i am pretty sure that to someone who is this is awesome news ... i hope all it all works out, and also hope that this is going to be put into the mainstream ... i'm just wondering if/when it is ... how much it's going to cost people and if insurance will cover it?

[edit on 4-11-2008 by baseball101]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
So, instead of staying away from the pizza, eat it and don't face the consequences(sp). Good ole American way... not responsible for your actions.

Now, I know there are some w/ diseases which are uncontrollable but for most, they can just 'drop the plate, walk away'.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Hendu

i know that's the interesting thing people can still have a high-fat diet yet they won't gain weight...very interesting i believe

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I suppose a lot of people will hail this as good newss, but as discussed here, the cause of obesity ismuch more emotional than physical, and until that is addessed, there will be no pill fixes.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Get the fork out of your mouth...........Problem solved.....HONESTLY.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

yea i agree ... but isn't obesity defined as overweight? if it is then this would be a likely cure for being overweight

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by StefanO

ya as described by the poster above you there are other factors that influence the people's eating habits therefore resulting in the gaining of weight...

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by StefanO

It is not always that simple.
I had been skinny as a stick my entire life.
I eat very little, all organic, and very low fat foods.
I developed back issues about six years for which there is no viable surgery.
I have gained fifty pounds since just because I am very restricted in my physical activity and are unable to burn many calories. Though I am not obese, such a pill, depending of course on the severity of side affects, would be a godsend for me and millions of others who are in similar situations.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by baseball101
reply to post by StefanO

ya as described by the poster above you there are other factors that influence the people's eating habits therefore resulting in the gaining of weight...

Very true, but if you take socio-economic, habitual, mental and other disorders away, it does not change the fact. IF YOU TAKE THE FOOD AWAY, you will loose weight, its simple really.

1000 calories input, 800 output....gaining weight, 1000 in, 1200 out, you loose weight. The diet industry is one of the biggest scams in history.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I have a cure for obesity.

Get off you jiggly bums and go for a jog, and put down the sub sandwhich!

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan123

i am not obese, but you must also think of the people who are incapable of doing any physical exercise i.e. handicap etc.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

Cure for Obesity Discovered!!

Discovered??

I thought it was always eat less calories than you burn in a day.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

ya that is the suggestion (common knowledge) but there are the MILLIONS who don't listen to this, really have no self control or there are other factors influencing their obesity and this is the cure for them ...

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

i know that's the interesting thing people can still have a high-fat diet yet they won't gain weight.

A high fat diet does not cause weight gain

A high carbohydrate diet causes weight gain

That is why when many of the people that have been fooled by the weight loss industry try a low fat diet the seldom lose weight and many gain weight.

It is also why people on a Atkins diet lose weight and a Atkins diet is a very low card and high fat diet.

Carbs are sugar or starches that the body turns to sugars.

When food manufacturers label food LOW FAT you will find the 98% have higher carb content then the standard non low fat product.
This is because the manufacturers raise the carb content when they lower the fat content so that you will not lose weight.

These manufacturers DON"T want you to lose weight.
They want you TO GAIN weight.
That way you will buy even more of there product.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by ANNED]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by baseball101

i am not obese, but you must also think of the people who are incapable of doing any physical exercise i.e. handicap etc.

well, people who are handicapped can still do active things, and eat healthy and drink water instead of beer or soda pop

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
In the world, there are adictions such as alcoholism. With most addictions, you can quit your adiction completely. Then there are those unfortunate enough to be addicted to food. What will we tell them? Never eat? Or heres a pill, now you wont either be fat or die.
This is a good thing for many of those people. Its not as simple as you may want to think, for some.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

it doesn't matter if it's a high-fat diet or high-carb diet or whatever kind of food/substance diet

The drug worked by shifting the metabolism to a fat-burning mode that normally takes over only when energy levels are low. At higher doses, the drug completely prevented weight gain. It also improved blood sugar tolerance and insulin sensitivity, which are important for warding off diabetes.

source

[edit on 4-11-2008 by baseball101]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
The hatred of fat people is approaching the levels of hatred exhibited by the KKK or the Nazi's. Every time there is a thread about weight, the fat haters all come running to spew their hatred and bigotry. A generation ago you would have been racists. Now you are fat haters. Nothing changes does it? People just have to have somebody to hate. How sad for humanity.

When I was young the Retarded or Mongoloids as they were called were considered sub-human because of a genetic difference. Now they are killed in the womb. In the UK they are stealing peoples children if they are overweight. When will we make the leap to Hitlers vision of just eliminating anyone not physically perfect. He does appear to have many who share his views in this world. Hope for the future is pretty dismal. We have progressed not at all.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
The hatred of fat people is approaching the levels of hatred exhibited by the KKK or the Nazi's. Every time there is a thread about weight, the fat haters all come running to spew their hatred and bigotry. A generation ago you would have been racists. Now you are fat haters. Nothing changes does it? People just have to have somebody to hate. How sad for humanity.

When I was young the Retarded or Mongoloids as they were called were considered sub-human because of a genetic difference. Now they are killed in the womb. In the UK they are stealing peoples children if they are overweight. When will we make the leap to Hitlers vision of just eliminating anyone not physically perfect. He does appear to have many who share his views in this world. Hope for the future is pretty dismal. We have progressed not at all.

its not about hating fat people. its about them getting healthy. being obese is deadly.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Oh yeah, tell that to Jarred, he can pick up the sub if he wants.

PS, some people have a slow metabolism, they can look at food and gain weight, but still, it's true, if eating the regular normal amount of calories makes one fat, those people obviously should eat less than normal.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by Toadmund]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join