It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't be so harsh on criticizing america

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
You know.. I dont understand why so many people bash america daily. It is especially apparent in a site like this. I love this country. I love this country because it is a melting pot of every culture, belief, religion.. every type of person lives here. We ARE very free in comparison to much of the world.

It's only natural for us to criticize the country we live in , because of course, we always want it to be better. But heres the reality... We have clean water. We dont have civil wars every day that have been going on for years, like many other countries. We have shelter. We have food. We have good people and we are a superpower because we help so many countries, and so many countries help us as well.

Why must we always bash america , when I can gurantee you would want to come back in a heartbeat if you lived in many other places in the world. Be thankful for what you have. There are many things in this world that could be worse than having a crappy government like ours. Thats a give. But you know what? Every government is corrupt, no matter where you live.

Just dont be so harsh. There are a lot of good people in this country, a lot of good things about this country. We are, at the end of the day, what america is made up of. A culmination of every country. Of every type of person. We are why so many people from other countries want to come here and live the american dream. We give everyone an opportunity.

Other countries criticize america, yet they come here and live here , and visit here, and have family here.

I am liberal, im not conservative, but I still know what a great country this is. I think more people should realize it.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I am sorry to have to say this but the USA is what is wrong with the world.
What other country has two active genocides going? (Afghanistan,Iraq)

What other country has its troops in 120 plus foreign countries?

What other country poisons its citizens with fluoride?

What other country has ceded control of its schools,hospitals,money system and just about everything else to a few elite families.

What other country is capable of and determined to undermine the economies of the world.

How many other countries were founded on theft and genocide?

I could go on for hours.....

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
you really must not look into the horrible things that happen in most countries.

you should do that.

whereas we get involved in wars, most of the time, because other countries ask for our help...

other countries have their own civil wars to worry about.

Im not saying america is perfect. I said the government is awful. America itself isnt awful. Thats what im saying.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
It is sad, but unfortunately I think the Bush administration has brought it on your nation.

Before him, I knew little of American politics, you weren't on our news every day invading a country, terrorizing people with more news on "terrorist threats" (the threats scare more than any act does), and I didn't think the American people would sit back and let their president screw them over time and time again without argument.

The American regime states that they can detain anyone (internationally) under the title "enemy combatant" without legal standing or reason. They can act in any way they like wherever they like (according to them) and the people seem to support this.
Even in the darkest days of the IRA bombing in the UK we didn't even contemplate stamping our big feet all over the world, making up rules as we went along.

I don't think all Americans are bad people, at all. But I do think the majority are blind to what their government is doing. Through insane belief, ignorance or futility they allowed their leader to remove a large chunk of their rights (Patriot Act), act against other nations illegally (invasion of a sovereign state), openly violate international law (kidnapping of citizens), and throw the global financial system into chaos (sub-prime and all those shenanigans).

The reason I "verbally bash" America (occasionally) is a mixture of the foreign policy, and the citizens who allow their leaders to act against the rest of the world with such arrogance. I know the British history is nothing to brag about, but I would be protesting in the streets if we acted in this way toward other nations.
Just as we did against the Iraq war, just as we did before that with the Poll Tax, just as we did when Thatcher closed the mines, just as you all should of when Bush decided that your rights (and the rights of the citizens of the world) became a toy to play with until it breaks.

But this is just my opinion. And I hope that under Obama, my opinion will be dramatically changed.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by calihan123
Why must we always bash america , when I can gurantee you would want to come back in a heartbeat if you lived in many other places in the world.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but I am an American living in the UK and I have no desire to return to America....might have a little bit if Obama wins the election, but even then, in the larger picture, it doesn't really change my lack of desire to return...and guess what? I work with another American who feels the same exact way...actually I work with two other Americans who feel the same way and have met plenty more who do also. So, there goes your central thesis, disproved.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Yeah, but you know what? Almost every foreigner I know , FOREIGNER, not american who moved to england, has said how moving to america changed their lives for the better. They were stuggling in the country they were from, and upon moving here was able to create a much better life for themselves and their family.

They hate bush. Who wouldnt?

I think you completely misunderstood the whole point of the post. It's about america itself being a good country. No one can stand the government here. But this country on its own is very desirable to many people, and we should be grateful for that.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by marsha law

Didn't know this- got proof...

Do you realize many countries want us there? Do you also realize that many get paid for letting us set up bases?

Mexico, Peru ..... may have to do homework on this one.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

Didn't know this- got proof...

Do you realize many countries want us there? Do you also realize that many get paid for letting us set up bases?

Mexico, Peru ..... may have to do homework on this one.

EXACTLY

every country was built on some sort of horrible event. Wars have always been based mainly over new land. Look at israel and iran? what do you think their ongoing war with eachother had been about forever? It started because isreal took over their land, and iran has been fighting them to get it back.

Same as pretty much every country in existence.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by calihan123]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by madhatr137

I'll add to that Madhatr.

I spent the last ten years based in London and traveling through europe in my work.
If you can't see the same agenda creeping into the UK as in the states then you haven't been paying attention.

In fact, when things get tough the UK will be one of the worst places you could be. No room to hide.

At least in the states you can run to the hills.

The brits are just as unaware as the average american. IMO

Better beer though.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
The great thing about America is that it can change and that change is relatively accessible. Yes, America has kind of lost it's way these past 8 years. It's turned it's back on the ideals of its forefathers. I think a lot of people from other countries feel that the American people are ignorant of this fact. You will not find a more well-informed public than that of the United States. Contrary to popular opinion, not all Americans are wrapped up in sex and violence and TV. Watch the election coverage tonight and you will find a record turnout of Americans participating in the electoral process.

We are the best country on the face of the Earth. Our American democracy is the best form of government ever created. Do not let one incompetent president with an agenda that is anti-American distort your overall judgment. We know we have our faults. We're not perfect, nor have we ever claimed to be. We haven't always made the right decisions (i.e. electing Bush). But we do our best to correct our mistakes. Tonight will be a big step towards correcting some of those mistakes.

But do not let your perception of the American government affect your perception of the American people, especially if you've never been to America before. A lot of people have no idea how hard it is to be an American. Unlike a lot of other governments, the American government is centered around the people. Unless you've lived and voted here, you have no idea how big of a responsibility that is. And the majority of Americans take that responsibility very seriously.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthChrisious
The great thing about America is that it can change and that change is relatively accessible. Yes, America has kind of lost it's way these past 8 years. It's turned it's back on the ideals of its forefathers. I think a lot of people from other countries feel that the American people are ignorant of this fact. You will not find a more well-informed public than that of the United States. Contrary to popular opinion, not all Americans are wrapped up in sex and violence and TV. Watch the election coverage tonight and you will find a record turnout of Americans participating in the electoral process.

We are the best country on the face of the Earth. Our American democracy is the best form of government ever created. Do not let one incompetent president with an agenda that is anti-American distort your overall judgment. We know we have our faults. We're not perfect, nor have we ever claimed to be. We haven't always made the right decisions (i.e. electing Bush). But we do our best to correct our mistakes. Tonight will be a big step towards correcting some of those mistakes.

But do not let your perception of the American government affect your perception of the American people, especially if you've never been to America before. A lot of people have no idea how hard it is to be an American. Unlike a lot of other governments, the American government is centered around the people. Unless you've lived and voted here, you have no idea how big of a responsibility that is. And the majority of Americans take that responsibility very seriously.

I couldnt agree more. I really hope that the faith i have in american people is there for a reason, and that we will vote for a president who can change things and turn this country in the direction it should be going. 8 years of a stupid man being our representative was enough. I know im ready for a change of pace, along with many many other people in this country. Republicans and democrats alike both know we need a change.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I understand that you're saying that the people in this country are good people and yes I was also brought up to believe it was the best country in the world but I'm not so sure anymore. I love America too, but it's government is horrible and ruining that status that it used to have. The atrocities that the US government has committed are appalling and the government of a country is what makes it good, no matter how much they tell you it's the people that makes America great.

America had the potential to be a great nation but you see how fast all that can be lost. America was the most powerful country in the world and power corrupts and that's what has happened we've become corrupt. Not we as a people but we as a country.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shocka
I understand that you're saying that the people in this country are good people and yes I was also brought up to believe it was the best country in the world but I'm not so sure anymore. I love America too, but it's government is horrible and ruining that status that it used to have. The atrocities that the US government has committed are appalling and the government of a country is what makes it good, no matter how much they tell you it's the people that makes America great.

America had the potential to be a great nation but you see how fast all that can be lost. America was the most powerful country in the world and power corrupts and that's what has happened we've become corrupt. Not we as a people but we as a country.

and thats why this election is important. We want to show the world that were smart enough to vote for someone who deserves to be there. Not some redneck man who could care less about his own people.

We can be that great nation , that all of us want and hope it to be, we just need to make the right choices, and we have the power to change things. WE , the people, not the government, have the power to change things.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthChrisious

Are you too young to remember the murders of JFK,RFK and MLK?

Do you know that our current president's grandfather helped finance Hitler?

When was this golden era of america?

Don't expect anything new from Obama. hint Zbig

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Well JFK was a great man but also a very corrupt man, and he was playing russian roulette with his life. Affairs, mafia.. not to mention his family already has a "curse"

but aside from that. It seems like anyone who is powerful and positive and wants to change the world for the better is killed.

But the whole thing about obama is hes bringing something different to america. A man of another race, who is a man of the people, who wasnt born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

That is why people want to vote for him. He represents america as moving forward

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

It is estimated that over one million Iraqis have been killed due to the most recent invasion. Add to that one million from the first invasion in 1991 and the following sanctions.

Over a million Afghanis are thought to have been killed by our actions

Noone knows.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Well actually I am too young to remember those murders. I wasn't born until '77. But I know my history and I understand what you're saying.

And I know about Bush's grandfather financing Hitler. Yes, it was atrocious. But let's be honest...a lot of people financed Hitler, both in America and abroad. I'm not excusing it. It doesn't make it right. But it is true.

The point I'm trying to get across is that the American people are trying to show the world that we have heard their concerns, we understand and we're trying to do something about it. It's not going to be solved tomorrow. It's going to take some time. But more and more the disapproval of the international community has also become the disapproval of the American people.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
If I had my say, I would never want another war to occur. But I think anyone smart knows thats just not possible. Countries were made based on wars. So much bad has come from wars, but at the same time, some good does come from them. If america never started any wars, we would be just like every other country. Sitting ducks, just waiting for an attack because were an easy target. We become such a powerful country because we showed that we will take the proper action when someone tries to disturb our way of living.

As much as I wish war was never created, I know it is part of the reason why everything in the world is as it is. Without war.. none of what we know today would exist.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

and my car mechanic gives me an outrageous estimate too.

Over a million Afghanis are thought to have been killed by our actions

Noone knows.

Thought and proof are two different things.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Thank you, calihan, that is a wonderful sentiment.

There is so much goodness to be seen, if we merely look beyond the bad stuff which is the general plight of man and the human condition. We in America are still part of a great experiment, and I am very confident that we are, thought far from perfect, helping to shape a better tomorrow for all people.

Most importantly, nothing is to be gained from being hopeless. We have unlimited potential and there is so much good still to do. Let's be positive and move forward to a better tomorrow.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join