It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to view ones past lives?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

We know how consciousness, thoughts, and memories are stored. They are stored in the pathways in the brain. I know this because I studied biology at school. That is how the brain works. That which is 'us' is not stored on the subatomic level, or in energy. It's a biological set of paths in the brain, which can be altered (learning or experiencing), but it remains the same - a group of pathways in the brain, through which impulses travel, much like the circuits in a computer, but analogue and not digital.

This might sound bad, but please bear with me: if you don't know that what you believe is the truth and not a misunderstanding of some other, mundane phenomenon, how can you help others to view their past lives? Surely it would be like me trying to fix a car, and if I manage to muddle through it (or if it fixes itself, because of a shifted blockage or wobbly cabling), should I become a mechanic, or even advise people on how to fix cars? Surely it would be somewhat inappropriate for me to do so.

reply to post by caitlinfae

Unfortunately you don't know it's real. You think it's real, and it might be, but since no-one has been able to demonstrate it is, surely your first port of call is to try to establish it is real. You can read about the brain here

As for understanding it by experiencing it, that is a very very flawed way of learning, as your experiences are themselves intrinsically flawed - your sensory system isn't as perfect as it would have to be for that to be the case. You are using a possibly-broken instrument as if it is perfectly operable. As for proving or disproving it, I've already explained how it can be proven. It only has to happen once to demonstrate it's possible, which will get further people interested in studying this new phenomenon. It would surely help people, right? Yet no-one does it. They either don't want to (which is selfish), or can't.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Dave, this isn't something that should be learned...it's not about aquiring measurable physical facts...it really is all about the spiritual experience. Please stop trying to make it empirical. I've said I would be happy to learn of a way to work this out, but the model of proof you suggested isn't really convincing. One test of historical accuracy simply wouldn't convince everyone. Would you really accept that? In any other test you could do, would you accept just one result as proof? I guess you're not willing to have the experience either.

I don't think it's selfish not to accept the responsibility of other people's "proof". The region where physics and metaphysics meet has not yet been explored properly, and I suspect the rules are different, perhaps the complete opposite of each other. I approach this subject from a purely spiritual point of view, which I know you have trouble understanding, but you cannot rule it as flawed or broken just because it's different from yours.

Cait

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

If you don't want to quantify something you believe in, then be prepared to never know for sure what's happening. That surely, by its very definition, lessens the impact it can have on your life, as you can never be sure without being somewhat irrational.

Everything that impacts you as a person can be measured and understood. It is impossible for something to interact with you without being able to be observed, either directly or indirectly.

If evidence for this could be found, then those who don't believe then are being irrational, not you. That is the beauty. Plus, just one very interesting case of past-life regression discovering something would be such a massive news story across the world, and would undoubtedly encourage people to understand the phenomenon.

Not looking for evidence, to me at least, seems a bit of a cop-out. I don't mean that in a bad way, just that it's kind of missing the opportunity to help the whole world.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
the way i feel about learning who you could have been in a past life is just simply looking into things your interested in...

like me for example. I am extremely interested in egyptian culture. Always have been. Ive always had a strong desire to learn about it, to go there etc.. and not in a way of im just curious about it, I almost feel like I was there once.

My mom is the same way about native americans.

Many people have these feelings.. about a strong interest in something and they dont know where it comes from.

Do you feel that way about anything?

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan123

A strong feeling of connection to enigmatic foreign cultures that have been long-depicted as highly romantic and knowledgeable in scores of TV shows, documentaries, movies, and music? I wonder how that could happen

It's strange you aren't feeling connected to dozens of European/South asian horse-poop-shovelers, as chances are that is exactly what you would have been in past lives.

It's like how loads of people were Napoleon or Caesar or Marie Antoinette in previous lives. A feeling is just a feeling - it is not evidence of anything.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Well, no. Ive always had a connection to it since i was little... before i ever watched tv.

so that counts that out.

Many people i know feel very connected to a certain culture, and not all of them are the everyday ones you see on tv.

so i dont see what point your trying to make

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
There are no such thing as past lives. Neither is there any re-incarnation.

"For it is appointed unto men to die once, and after that, the Judgement."

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Old Man

I dont believe that. I believe there are past lives. There have been too many significant stories about reincarnation and past lives for people to chalk it up to not existing.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Dave buddy , If you would spend half the time finding your own personal truth than you do attempting to quantify others experiences , maybe you will yeild your own tangible results ... I'm not trying to be abraisive , I would truly love for you to experience something that you would be able to look at and say... "ya know , maybe they were on to something". Do your due dilligence , try meditation or try lucid dreaming with an OPEN mind and belief that It can happen.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

link to forum on souls

Posted by EyesWideShut, on March 6, 2008 at 21:22 GMT

Yes Folks, We have souls... I don't understand what the big deal is?... You were here before you were in your current body and after your body dies you will still exist. Your body is a vehicle. It is not you. Hopefully something happens to you in this lifetime that reaffirms what I'm telling you so that you will understand.

Posted by EyesWideShut, on March 14, 2008 at 16:56 GMT

Originally posted by dave420
reply to post by EyesWideShut

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's definitely no evidence to back up those claims... I'd like to know how you can say that with all certainty

"I can't prove it to you Dave... It's something that hopefully you find out for yourself."

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Dave...

Everything that impacts you as a person can be measured and understood. It is impossible for something to interact with you without being able to be observed, either directly or indirectly

I don't agree at all...there are plenty of things that interact with us that we cannot observe, and perhaps are barely aware of. Impossible just doesn't cut it. I think what you mean is that it's impossible according to the rules of science as they stand at the moment, and we all know how elastic and multi-directional they are.

Not looking for evidence, to me at least, seems a bit of a cop-out. I don't mean that in a bad way, just that it's kind of missing the opportunity to help the whole world.

The point I've been trying to make is that we CAN'T do this for each other...yes we can talk and discuss and teach and pass on theories and research...but the actual work has to be done BY US so we can have the experience in the first place. It's a matter of faith, of personal journey, and doing the work to hand it out to others isn't part of the game. It simply wouldn't work. Reincarnation isn't a science project...it's a spiritual issue. If the two halves of how it works eventually cross in our understanding, then I will be one of the first to show an interest. No-one who wants to investigate or understand reincarnation will ever fully understand it until they have experienced regression for themselves.

Eyeswideshut....excellent post..a star for you!

Cait

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Wow, my thread exploded down so many different paths! First of all, even if we could prove something like this to you, would you believe? One of my friends was very sceptacle about astral projection so I had him take an object that I was not aware of and put it in a corner of a room in his house. I tried to see it for 3 weeks (sometimes I could be standing in the corner and not see anything) Finally I could see what it was clearly enough to describe it to him. It was a family picture of him that I had never seen before. I even drew him a picture of it. What did he say? "Lucky guess"

Second of all, I am weary when I have to pay large sums of money for my spirituality. How much to these regression sessions cost? I would assume a lot.

Lastly, whomever quoted (I think the bible) and said there is no reincarnation, I respect your beliefs, but I already said I am Gnostic. If you don't believe in past lives, than don't post here.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by goldbomb444

Goldbomb, I'm so glad you're back! I was really worried that we had stolen your thread and taken it off somewhere you didn't want to go with it...I hope you find some reading here that you like. And as for Dave, I don't know why he posted here either....I'm sorry if I should have let that arguement go earlier. I find that difficult!

Cait

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae

Goldbomb, I'm so glad you're back! I was really worried that we had stolen your thread and taken it off somewhere you didn't want to go with it...I hope you find some reading here that you like. And as for Dave, I don't know why he posted here either....I'm sorry if I should have let that arguement go earlier. I find that difficult!

Cait

I don't mind debate and discussion, but

Originally posted by Old Man

was pointless.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by goldbomb444]

[edit on 4-11-2008 by goldbomb444]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

yup, it was a pointless post, and I really wonder why they bother, but I guess they have a right to talk too and this is a public forum. Your remoate viewing experience shows how difficult it would be...I kinda got the feeling that if Dave had been presented with an occasion of proof, he too would have dismissed it. Maybe he was a lawyer in a past life and just likes the argument!

Anyway...I missed answering your query on how much it costs. The last regression session I did was 5 hours long and cost £60, and she's a really good therapist. I thought it was very reasonable for how much care and time she put in, and I would have paid her more had she asked. I would expect a session to cost a little bit more than this normally...say £15-£20 per hour? Obviously, this wouldn't apply to all therapists, but I would also be very wary of anyone who was really much more expensive...to me that smacks of charlatan at times, but again, that's a personal opinion.

Cait

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I have no idea wether or not this is true, seeing as I have never tried it myself and it could very well be a rumor, but a while ago, I remember reading a suggestion of getting something old (like a couch, or something) that has been sealed tightly for a long time, in its own air, and opening it on a day with no wind. (or in a room with no windows, or really any way for air to escape) From what I have heard, the smell could indeed give you memories from a past life, due to the aroma.
I would love to try this, just to see if it would work. It couldn't hurt, could it? :S

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

You have asked everyone to prove something you know perfectly well CANNOT be proven quantitatively. Thats not being a skeptic, thats being an asshat and calling it skepticism for laughs.

Human memory is not quantitative, because it is far from a system of perfection, its an "as is" system of chemicals and electricity that works when and if it sees fit at the best of times.

You can no more prove to me that 100% of your memories of 10 years ago are 100% complete, factual and not the result of an overactive imagination, than anyone else here can prove that memories they have unlocked are not the result of imagination.

Is the person who unlocks memories of sexual abuse as a child through hypnotherapy a liar because they cannot prove their repressed memories arent the result of hallucination or imagination?

Noone in this thread has demanded anyone believe, but in you march telling people there is no evidence, so they better disperse before bigfoot arrives.

Luckily the skeptics dont have their own forum area, to document and archive all the things they never saw, never experienced, and never thought of. Believers could troll that, but chances are many of them would be asleep after the first thread.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

Dave,

I learned also these things in school. I've also studied a lot of psychology in high school and philosophy in university, but that haven't made me any wiser about these issues. Sure there are sound explanation for many things, as there are physics too, but when you go to quantumphysics, many fundamental laws of Newton and others ceases to apply. If 'we' are indeed the formation of our brains and it's nerveconnections, how can people just 'snap' like that sometimes, even without any physical damage to body or head and yet it can happen in a very short moment of time. Maybe because of some unknown disease or something? Well, I don't really know anything, since to really know something requires direct experience in my opinion.

I am here not to argue, as I stated in the 1st post. I just told mere opinion and I respect your (or anyone else's) reaction to it. In the end, I'll shoot a poor joke which you all have prolly heard before but in my opinion it emhasizes lots this issue:

An astronaut and a brain surgeon were having a conversation about belief:
ASTRONAUT: Well, I have been in space, you know up there (points up) and I have NEVER seen a single trace of God nor angel or any other supernatural being, therefore I must consider atheism.
BRAIN SURGEON: Well, I've cut into hundreds of heads but I have never seen a thought no matter how wise person I have operated. But from experience I know that there are "thoughts".

That wasn't even funny, but I hope it will provoke few non-existing thoughts

Sincerely,

-v

[edit on 5-11-2008 by v01i0]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I've had the lucky experience of having a relative who could read past lives. What he told me of mine made alot of sense. If he were alive now I'd have him read yours. Personally, I listen to myself and my attractions in life. Many things about ourselves seem to have origins in previous lives. Indeed, it is a personal experience to be learned from. I am not sure it could ever be quantified or anyone could be trained to be perceptive of them. Nor do i feel it is necessary. We all have our lives and our individual paths. Knowing our past lives may not be for everyone or needed by everyone.
Some of my personal experiences I'll give.
I was a single mother in Ireland in the late 1700's (husband out of the picture) and I had ten children. My grandfather asked me to mentally go through my friends/loved ones who I considered to be extra maternal toward. He didn't know all my friends or how I felt about all these people. I ticked off exactly ten who I consider to be my "children". Yes, mom still watches over you LOL. Those people agreed with me that I felt like a mother figure to them for some odd reason before they knew of this. (I'm male) Some even used to call me Aunty as a joke because of my mothering behaviour.
Another was that I was his grandfather. he ticked off some personal info about some internal stuff you don't let others in on (thoughts, reactions that don't meet the surface). He described his grandfather and it was too close to myself to be wrong or coincidental.
Upon visiting Heidelberg in Germany I instinctively knew the road layout and the way to the castle without ever having seen this before (pictures, yes, but layout and roads, no.) The intricacies of the way to the castle could not be conveyed on any map or picture I may have seen before. I also knew where the wine casks were without any previous knowledge. The church in the center was very familiar and the way to the university, not too obvious, I found without looking for signs, effortless.
I pride myself in being skeptical and analytical as well as spiritual. I'm my own best critic and constantly try to check myself, but have no explanation for these things other than as proof to me of my own past lives.
I hope this gives you some insight into it. Don't be too hard on this subject. My grandfather said about it that our experience is unique and although we can guide each other not every path is for everyone.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join