It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama effigy found on U. of Kentucky campus

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
Your absolutely right.

Nobody is trying to defend these two here. It's only fair though that if you are going to punish some of them, you have to punish all of them.

When it comes to hanging effigies of people, race shouldn't matter. If its wrong, it's wrong,end of story.

Sadly that isn't how most people see it.

Because some of us are American citizens and we understand and respect the right of free speach as well as PRIVATELY OWNED PROPERTY and public property. In America, those are two different things. You can own property and on that, some rules are a little different. What a great country!

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I've confirmed nothing.

So you're saying that since the people in CA had what you deem to be a "reasonable" response for this, that it's okay? So it's really more about the reason and response than the action itself? Please.

Hanging someone is hanging someone. It shouldn't matter if they are white or black, male or female.

You don't seem to get that though.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Here in Louisiana, hanging effigies of political candidates is an old thing. Happened many, many times during the Long brother's reigns here - any one of their opponents would be found hanging in effigy, also burning.

Race wasn't an issue for those effigies & that was during a time when racial discrimination was a TIMELY ISSUE.

Louisiana got over it and most folks had a good laugh over the effigies. And "black" people with "white" effigies hanging on their property didn't get arrested or get crosses burnt on their lawns either.

Didn't discrimination become illegal some time back in our country's history??

Or is it only called discrimination when it's not a "white" person being discriminated against?

Somewhere along the way, in the course of the Politically Correct movement, we have really lost our collective sense of humor.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Private property + well thought out reasoning gets them off the hook

Public property + 'it was in response to..' does not

I never said I thought that it was right, in fact I STATED CLEARLY IN ALL CAPS THAT THIS DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT. What I said was that this is probably why there were two different responses.

If you do not like that reasoning, then lets just go to the public property vs. private property.

For the record, I do not feel either one is right, nor is in good taste. Unfortunately, had they all done it on private property, I would be reading about it right now.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Yes of course it is racially motivated. When will people just except the fact that there was, is and ALWAYS will be racist Aholes who WILL NOT accept the other colors. People gotta stop trying to change the impossible. But I do agree that on YOUR private propety..hang and express your feelings however you choose. On public property or grounds where tax dollars are used...you can't just express whatever you want.

And considering all candidates involved this election SUCK...what are we going to do..lol

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
nyk537, until you've been in their shoes, I'm going to hold the opinion that you don't understand. And now, to avoid a race-related argument, I'll bow out.

"in their shoes".....If there is one thing that ticks me off its this idea that "BLACK" america has it so rough and us WHITES are all to blame. Its the most abused excuse for lazy, no good PEOPLE I have ever heard. I am white, I work my butt off and at the end of the year I bring home around $50,000. I can name you atleast 100 African Americans who live within 20 miles of me who make over $100,000 a year EACH....so STOP with all the racial black BS...the only people holding back ANYONE..black, white, or indifferent are the people who whine about it and use the excuses only there great ansestors should have the right to use...since they actually experianced it!!!! So until I or ALL white people make more then EVERY black person in america...shut up about racial BS and the "MAN" holding back blacks...its old! Every opportunity for minorites is available..MANY MANY more then there are for me. Now take this rant for what its worth...and call me racist if you want, but I am not...what I am is sick of hearing the same excuse over and over and over when it has NOOOOO supporting evidence these days.

Sorry BH this is not a responce directed at you...its a general statement...one that unless someone is blind..or an actual RACIST...they can't deny it.

[edit on 10/31/2008 by rcwj75]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join