It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Film: Idiocracy - Comedy or Prophesy?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by MereMugglePop

... the dumb ones bred like rabbits while the smart ones thought they were not ready for kids yet ;D

Thats whats happening here in the UK and I guess the US too. Worrying isn't it?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zepherian
I think the movie, much like a lot of things out of Hollywood, is an elitist sponsored statement of intent and also part of a memetic warfare operation of culture creation. Think about it, you've been pavlovianly conditioned to see the dumbing down of the nation as something funny and "predicted", when in reality it is neither, it is sad and by design.

As Terrence McKenna once said and I have often quoted: Culture is not your friend

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. It says; if the human population is allowed to grow unchecked it will be to stupid to use water for the plants and be a mental vegitable. Just because of genetics, genetics are solely responisble for the dumbing down. Not the educational system, the food you eat, not the upbringing. Just genetics.

It's a comedy but still, a deceptive one and it is hitting the mark with preparing people for the real life event to prevent this (while it is the other way around, it will be done not for us but against us, we are getting dangerous, not stupid.)

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
"Ow my balls" is imo a pretty obvious reference to MTV's "Jackass", so in a sense we are already there...

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by total_slacker

I just saw the movie for the first time about a week ago and had a similar sentiment throughout the whole movie. I wanted to laugh but it seemed so real that I couldn't. The ever expanding family tree of the intellectually disfunctional, the hospital clerk with a pre-programmed symptom board and the banning of water because it was a threat to a cooperation's profit all might appear to be funny but not when you compare it to today. How far off is corperate greed from going to that extreme? How far will our education system fall before everything has to automated so that it can be "run" by anyone? How long will it be before those obsessed with pop-culture outbreed and gain leverage in the scientific communities?

Everytime I happen upon somebody watching jerry springer with a blank look of amazement on their face, I'm brought back to the first glimpses of the dystopian future in the movie. How is watching a human trainwreck entertaining? Will it still be funny when those people comprise a majority of the vote in your democracy and political events have a pro-wreslting atmosphere?

The point at the beginning was pretty much spot on chronicaling the personal lives of the people that go on these shows with illegitimate babies and various affairs. Those people might seem like fictional characters because they are on tv, but they are not. They are real and those tv shows just perpetuate that behavior almost to the point where it is acceptable. Who cares if you're bringing a child into the world under bad circumstances, you're on tv. Isn't that what really matters?

It is not a prophecy, it is a map for the road we're going down and we are running out of exits to get off.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Insomniac

people are already like that in the movie
the only difference is the place/planet isin't completely trashed yet

but yes we are getting there

funny movie

top topics

<< 1   >>

join