It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you think VOTING will matter THIS time? I've lost faith. Help me Understand...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Don't get me wrong, I didn't come here to attack anyones beliefs systems, I´m just asking, I seem to have lost all faith in the ruling political class, the leading candidates are just but pawns in the game, the real king is profit.

Campaigns I have lived through, every time I am promised the golden egg, or better still, fair unbiased education, media responsibility towards the end consumer, peace and equality on the streets, that my elected politicians will not be crooks or keep secrets this time.
That they are getting it right this time, but that if one wins they'll have to start from scratch, and if the other one wins things stay the same.

Every time its the same thing, I'm not naive, I'm not a dreamer, maybe a little bit, but I firmly believe that things could be better, that we shouldn't have to worry from loosing our houses, or that the transition from oil to clean energetics would not cost us everything we have, that if the rulers gave a little more, were a bit more fair, or really cared at all , resources wouldn't be wasted on rhetorics and political campaigns, instead used on giving better education, regulating the media, helping the common man get a decent job where debt wouldn't be exploited.

What makes you think that this time will be different when none of the other times made any difference at all? and when it was making a difference got shot or silenced or tied?

Why should this time the elected ruler be any different, when even now, we see them from what they truly are.
Why does "democracy" cost me SO much???
Why must all my choices be black or white, when reality is a series of shades of gray.

I lost my faith.

When they say that -"You dont have to vote for THEM, there are many independent candidates"-

What for! those are just for show to remove votes from the "special" groups of the population, to give the illusion of choice?
some independents are funded by the opposing parties to steal precious votes from one and other.

Why will this time be any better?
Any ideas, do you know something I have missed?

It doesn't look its going to get any better, no matter who wins, I dislike all my choices, I'm not happy or comfortable with the way things are.

I do my best to help and be a good law abiding citizen.
I pay my taxes, I am well educated, I consider myself semi conscious most of the time, and aware enough to see this is all a joke on us.

Or am I wrong and my vote will make all the harmful elements that suck the nation dry go away??

The way I see it, only on an individual level can we make things change, educating ourselves for real. We cant make the world change yet, but if all of us really compromised on a personal level, we wouldn't even need presidents or even countries...

[edit on 25-10-2008 by TheOneEyedProphet]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I don't trust it, either. The system and the people in it mean. A politician should, in MY personal dream world of illusions and insanity, be a person who absolutely does NOT want to be a politician. Like, maybe for instance, George Washington? Military to civilian is a press and, being that military officers study tons of history and philosophies (where's that West Point guy at, he can probably lend a clue), ya never know what kind of leader he will be when he is no longer the order taker but the order maker... anyways!

Voting hasn't mattered since at least as long as I have been alive. The parties with the means to bend the ear of the politicians have always gotten what they want in the end and the people have always gotten the short end of it. Sure, some things that you and I care about might get changed, but on the whole for the worse. What can ya do, really? "Wealthy elites" could care less if you or I have to not eat for days at a time or suffer through bitter winters or stew in a sweltering summer - they have the means and resources at hand to make our lives...obsolete?

I'll vote, of course, and once again I know that it is really just like voting for prom king/queen/gay couple
and that the popularity contest will be entertaining for a little while, and that's all I can expect.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
You know, I feel the same way.......... I'm just fed up, It's like we got Larry and Moe to choose from. I look at the issues when voting, but so many just vote cause someone told them too. I see so many people who don't know nothing about the man they are voting for.... It's amazing we still have a country.........................Or do we?

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Well, ignorance is bliss. Once you know that it doesnt matter who wins, you start to feel how meaningless it is, and its easy to get a bit depressed by how powerless you are to change the world.

Just let them run their charade. Live your life and make the most out of every day. Even if our future is uncertain, its much better to not worry about it. If for no other reason, because worrying doesnt change anything anyway.

[edit on 25-10-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Copernicus, you have good point there.... If it all goes to hell, I'm at least going to enjoy life instead of worrying....................

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by rikk7111

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Have a nice weekend.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Well, then go and vote, and turn in a ballot with nothing selected. In other words, voice your opinion as to what you believe the superior choice is. None of what's listed.

So, yes, you may have 'lost', if winning the game means backing the biggest rat, but you 'win', if you consider that merely expressing yourself through the avenues available is an honest goal.

And don't hold back in expressing your opinion to others.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I understand what you mean, but then again, whats the point of putting in a blank ballot?

To me thats even more strange than voting for either one, meaningless in itself.
What would one accomplish? will the political system get the what I'm trying to tell them?
Will they listen if enough blank ballots get computed?
will they get the point?

I believe they will just put them in the blank ballot stack and continue to tally the ones that do have a check or an X.

One really feels powerless, when the media bombards the psyche with nothing but banal issues, Palin's new scarf, or Obama's real grandmother, or Macain's silly brother...
They give it the same treatment tinseltown starz get.
That to me inst politics, and when they do get some real issues on the table, either they get discredited or lost in the sea of pro- con debate.

Words, they are the means to the end, and nothing gets done ever.

I'm tired of not having real options, I'm tired of the way the nation gets raped and insulted, all the great people that conform it mean nothing to the ruling elite, both sides are part of the same coin.

As wisely as has been said, its up to us to change.
Its sad that one must do that, when as a whole we could be doing so much more.

thanks for the comments everyone!

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I'm tired of being treated like a child.
I'm tired of being promised candy and useless toys.
I want truth, I expect my hard earned money to fund revolutions of thought, I want my government to be aware of the needs of its people, I don't want the government to just keep me alive like in a farm until they need me to die in some war i never wanted or approved.

Is being a patriot having to obey blindly the will of the unknown masters?
Is a patriot someone that never questions the current order of things?

I believe there is much we left in the hands of others, things we as communities and states should never have allowed.
When did the nation turn into a corporation that wants to squeeze every ounce of dignity from the drones that feed it?

I want change, but not the change they want me to have.
I want to be treated with respect by the ones in power, I want them to be people I can look in the face and ask them why?
-and getting an answer, not some rhetorical form devised to confuse and delay the end of their term in office....

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneEyedProphet

Please don't vote. If you don't that will double the impact of my vote.

I don't see the world as masters and slaves. My state has an excellent US Senator who works very hard with his constituents in mind. He is being challenged by a tax-and-spend liberal. I will do everything I can to get him re-elected.

But in the long run, I don't depend on the gov't to take care of me, so they are not my "master".

Just my .02...

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Voting is the ONLY time that you have to have a voice in gov't. VOTE!!! Even if you write in Bob the Cat. My wife didn't vote in our election this month and that pissed me off. I don't care if she would have canceled my vote, just vote damn it.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Like it will really matter, I will vote in the upcoming election. If for no other reason, than to at least make my opinion legit as I raise my middle digit to the two party system.

Could be a big year for third party candidates. I hope...

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

But what if you look at the local polls and there's nothing close enough that your vote would matter, intrepid? Whats the point then? Yes, I know, 'if everyone thought that way, it would make a difference', but clearly, everyone doesn't. So why's it matter? Just askin'.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by tmbandt

Yes, perhaps they will even mention the 3rd party vote totals on the news this year!

Like it will really matter, I will vote in the upcoming election. If for no other reason, than to at least make my opinion legit as I raise my middle digit to the two party system.

Mr Carlin would disagree with that philosophy:

Excuse my cynicism; I consider myself in good company.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Actually that happens to me damn near every election. I'm in the bluest riding in Ontario. Any other riding can swing, this one is Tory EVERY time. That won't keep me from voting though. That's my damn right and I'm going to use it. If I only had a Tory party that I could vote for. Until then I will cast my protest votes.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Hey Intrepid, thanks for the comments.
That is my problem, ok, I vote, and the government hears my cry of frustration, what next??
Are they going to change? are they going to listen? will it make anything better?

what exactly does one say to the government when one votes? that we believe the lies and like to pretend everything is working as advertised?

I'm, very disillusioned in my government.
And even more now, after the crisis we are in, there have been posts in ATS about the flags that were raised years ago, regulate now or pay the consequences, and what happened? they did nothing! nothing at all, and then tried to make a last minute "save", that also failed to do any long lasting effect.

What game are playing here with them?
What do we tell them exactly by voting???

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
looks like the "cheater" state will be pennsylvania, lawsuits already filed there, with alot of other hanky-panky going on.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean

Originally posted by tmbandt

Excuse my cynicism; I consider myself in good company.
Your cynicism is noted and is well appreciated. I feel ya man.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneEyedProphet
What do we tell them exactly by voting???

I think that's the wrong question. The right one would be, "What are we telling them by NOT voting"? That tells them that they have ALL the power over you because they have placed you in an apathetic state. Like I said above, VOTE. It doesn't matter who but VOTE. Let them know that you still care. Will it make a difference? Maybe, maybe not but it's all you have. Don't leave your gun unused.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

And that is exactly the difference between not voting, and turning in a blank ballot. Turning in a blank ballot say: "I value my rights, I take the time, I'm willing to help, but none of what you offer is acceptable".

top topics

<<   2 >>

join