It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only in Japan...*virtual murder*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   

A Japanese woman could face a prison sentence after killing off her virtual husband in a computer game. The 43-year-old became so angry about a sudden "divorce" from her online husband in the interactive Maple Story game that she logged on with his password and deleted his digital persona.

Is that insane or what? I mean i understand why she getting prison time, but come on folks
I never heard something like this before.
Link

[edit on 24-10-2008 by Rentor]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I read about this yesterday. Crazy isn't it? I bet there are a lot of other cases of this nature, crazy as it seems.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Stupidest thing i have ever seen, And no im not talking about the murder im talking about adults playing maplestory....... (google it)

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rentor
Is that insane or what? I mean i understand why she getting prison time, but come on folks
I never heard something like this before.

You UNDERSTAND why she may get 5 YEARS in prison? Really?

Are YOU insane?

Yeah 5 years in prison for deleting an online character that makes perfect sense.

I actually know a guy to whom this happened. His girlfriend broke up with him and delete everything he owned in UO then killed and ressed his Murderer character until his skills were zero and he had to be deleted. But I DON'T think she should have gotten into legal trouble for her actions.

This sound like a case for civil court. Let him sue for damages.

What a waste of police time.

Vas

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasilis Azoth

She illegally access a computer and manipulating electronic data.. Prison time is over doing it, but some kind of fee should do it

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
This is just plain silly.
I think banning the woman from the game would be an appropriate punishment, but prison time? Some people are taking their virtual lives way too seriously.

On the other hand, Japanese health officals have recognized that video games can have actual, real-life consequences (depression, suicide, etc). "Video game addiction" has been labeled a disease now, with actual recovery programs.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Rentor

Those poor Japanese people are getting their brains turned to mush by the video game industry, just like our own people here in the US.

top topics

join