It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rich or poor, did you ever glimpse how the other half lived?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

The gulf that divided the rich and the poor during the Depression in Britain can be no better illustrated than by this image of privileged Eton schoolboys being scrutinised by three scruffy Cockneys.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Eton kids, and Cockney kids, Lords cricket ground 1937.

I have news. Those three kids on the right are by no means Cockneys, they are middle class kids, on a day out to watch the cricket.

Below is a a day in the life of a Cockney kid circa 1937

[edit on 24-10-2008 by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Those three kids certainly don't look poor, but the 'Cockney' kids photo does. Huge difference! That BBC reporter got that one wrong.

Question: What is it on those kids faces? Is it coal dust?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Clark W. Griswold

Question: What is it on those kids faces? Is it coal dust?

Coal dust, chimney soot.smog,povety,hard life...

The first photo is some what famous, at least here in the UK it is.

Im glad im not the only one that noticed, the kids on the right in there glad rags.

Thanks.

Cockneys

[edit on 24-10-2008 by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
When my grandparents first came to the US in the early 1900's they had to live in an abandoned box car their first year. Then, my grandma's dad got work in the mines. He worked as long as he could during the day, and when he was exhausted, his wife took over his job during the night. They had to work like dogs just to be able to eat.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I was born with the proverbial silver spoon in my mouth so to speak. Well maybe not born, but adopted as a new born into it. When I was 13 and being very difficult about many many things, my father took me to downtown Washington D.C. to see how the other half lived. I have to say I was stunned. I could not believe after the upbringing I had that there were people that lived in those kinds of conditions. My father was a very intelligent man. It was a day that changed my outlook on life.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Clark W. Griswold

And some people still have to in 2008,it looks like all that hard work could be for nothing?

Because now it seems like those two kids on the left, are going to take back what we never had, and make us poor again?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by seejanerun

An adoption story with a happy ending

You made my day Lord Fauntleroy.

Some of them kids on the left grew up careing less. Sounds like you and your father didnt.

Thanks

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I was raised in a well-to-do family; I had the good fortune of never worrying about acquiring luxuries or, much less, necessities. I was raised around both working class and upper class individuals, though I must disclose that most of my social time was spent among those of "like society". In the upper class society, it is easy to grow up without any sense of a differing reality. It was, and still is, quite rare to find a young person within this social group who has a true sense of what poverty is--what it means for humans who must live with it. Our family was quite different. From an early age both my brother and I were made well aware of the sundry ways in which human beings live. As soon as they believed me mature enough (if I recall correctly, around age seven or eight), I began to travel with my father on aid trips to different regions. As a teenager, I began to do my own travel for aid work, independent of my father. If I had not been urged toward this type of experience, I fear I would be quite a bit closer to the stereotype of the oblivious, narrow-minded "rich kid".

Unfortunately, it is not just the wealthy classes that have this lack of understanding and perspective. It is an epidemic in the West, among all classes.

[edit on 24/10/08 by paperplanes]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I have "seen" both sides and personally prefer the middle. I do have quite some bit of disdain for wealthy people who have to hire people to work in the worst conditions a human can survive and are not rewarded with anything for their labor. I think, and this is my base opinion please, that a lot of things are bad for people specifically because of the "rich" (assets/value over about $2 million or so), let alone the uber-rich and billionaire tyrants.

There is not an excuse for paying an employee poverty wages, period. But, since that is allowed by law and is "more profitable for the investors" that is what we see. In my opinion, the absolutely worst parts of humanity are and will always be the "rich".

I feel sorry for the people who live in poverty and I give as much as I can to help them - maybe that is why I am "middle class", basically powerless, and not a famous personality.

Ever ask a person with a "luxury" automobile why they have it?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by paperplanes

Lady Diana and her family where consiseded comoners to much of the royal family.

She made a point of takeing her sons to see how the other half live. Homeless shelters AIDS refuges etc.

It's good to see in this thread people. born into wealth contrubuteing in a positive manner.

Thanks

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I've never been 'rich', but I grew up in a family that was better off than most in the area. A little bad luck and a few bad business decisions later and I'm a half-step away from living on the street.

Honestly, it does not bother me one bit. I don't envy the 'haves' and I don't pity myself for now being a 'have-not'. In fact, I am happier now than I've been in most of my 30 years of life, now that I've learned that all of the material things in life really don't mean anything. I've let go of the need for those things. Its part of the reason that I cannot for the life of me understand the attitude that many have of wanting to punish the rich. Their money and possessions will not buy your happiness.

Thankfully, my situation has gotten better as of late, but it could still go either way. Still, for my part, I even now consider voluntarily packing a backpack and living on the side of a mountain somewhere, away from everyone, just to get away from this screwed up society of greed and envy that we've created.

[edit on 25-10-2008 by vor78]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
At age 48, I'm closing in on being in the top 1% of U.S. income earners
at this point in my life. However, I have experienced poverty, complete
with shoplifting and robery to get what I needed/wanted. So, in answer
to the question that's the subject of this thread, I have experienced
one end of the spectrum (poor) and am now beginning to experience
the well-to-do end of the lifestyle spectrum. Each extreme comes with
it's own set of problems, but the problems that come with money are
not as humiliating as the problems that stem from being flat broke.
-cwm

new topics

top topics

join