It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Markets Fear Obama Policies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   

...while the polls are reflecting Obama's steady hand, the markets haven't. In fact, they're getting worse by the day as Obama's lead widens.

Most investors know the devil is in the details - and the details of Obama's economic plans are anything but reassuring.

Looks like it isn't only coming from Conservatives and Republicans here. The markets themselves are fearful of Obama's economic policies.

Overall, his plan includes some of the most lethal tax increases imaginable, including a jump in the capital-gains rate. He'd expand government spending massively, with everything from new public-works projects to increases in foreign aid to a surge in Afghanistan - plus hand out a token $500 welfare check that he calls a tax cut to everyone else.

Gotta make you feel good about what's to come doesn't it?

Full Article

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I would say that is a fair assessment. The market is heavily discounting the possibility of Obama and his policies. Investors are assessing future tax policies and or subsidies to the different industries. With that said, I would argue that the market would also have a difficult time with Mcain at the helm as well, maybe not as much as Obama, but Mcain's policies are hardly Pro-markets either.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I think its a significant reason for the market turmoil we're seeing. Investors can see which way the election winds are blowing and they're getting the hell out of dodge. I can't blame them.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
It still suprizes me with all this new 'news' surrfacing and people are still hanging on to obama ..

I understand McCain is not the greatest but is surely the lesser of two evils

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gateway
I would argue that the market would also have a difficult time with Mcain at the helm as well, maybe not as much as Obama, but Mcain's policies are hardly Pro-markets either.

You could be right.

Although I don't think there is any denying that the markets are more afraid of Obama's proposed raise in Capital Gains and Corporate taxes.

It's the details that get you with Obama's plans.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
So much for all the smack talk that claims the media is left-leaning.

I think the market is still revolving around the mess created by the current administration.

Remember Bush's remark that Wall St. "got drunk"?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Yep. There is no denying now that we are headed if not a depression, then the closest thing that we have ever been to a depression is awaiting us. With Obama a WORSE DEPRESSION should be expected, coupled with him and a Democratic congress, GOD HELP US ALL.

[edit on 24-10-2008 by Gateway]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
The question that should be asked is"Who gave them the alcohol?". The democrats have control of the senate.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fuzzy Wabbit
I think the market is still revolving around the mess created by the current administration.

This mess was not created by the current administration. I won't derail my own thread explaining that to you, but you could use the search feature.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

It is highly disingenuous to paint the current market based on the possibility of a futute president. There are always flucations in election years; we are now in a recession that is a direct result fromt the last 8 years of Republican power in the Whitehouse. Not because of Obama's stated policies. To suggest otherwise is misleading. We are here because of the people you personally voted for. Hurts, but it's ok to admit it. The Republican policies have divided and failed the USA.

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Not quite.

I'd argue we haven't really had any real "conservative" republican policies.

Just liberal policies implemented by a Republican President.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I'm sorry to hurt your feelings.

I thought the idea surrounding forums such as ATS was for meaningful, open discussion of the issues. Even when those issues do not necessarily conform to your own.

I stand by my remarks that the current market mess is the result of the past eight years of Bush politics.

[edit on 10/24/2008 by Fuzzy Wabbit]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

The market reflects ALL information. Even though we are in a recession/depression, an election certainly effects people's investment decisions.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

I didn't say that all of the instability was a function of investor fear of an Obama presidency. Merely a significant portion of it. Most of it is indeed the failures of both parties to successfully manage this economy over the last several DECADES.

But you're kidding yourself if you think that Obama's proposals to tax business income and capital gains aren't playing a role here as well. If the fears were only of market conditions, I'd fully expect them to be moving their money into safe(r) havens in the commodities markets (gold, silver, oil, etc), but no, those are tanking as well. Instead, investors are getting out completely. I think they're sitting on the sidelines waiting to see just how much of their investment income the Dems really intend to give away before they decide to take on any additional risk by re-investing in the markets.

[edit on 24-10-2008 by vor78]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
This has to be one of the silliest things that I ever heard.

The markets have been tanking every since the bailout and the government introduced panic into the markets.

It has nothing to do with Obama policies and Bush policies have us in a 10 TRILLION DOLLAR DEBT!!

Bush didn't pay for anything and he borrowed and spent us into oblivion.

The republican policies don't make any sense. They seem to cut taxes and grow government which increases the debt which is just using your children and grandchildrens future work like a credit card.

If John McCain wants to stay in Iraq, which is costing 10 billion a month that we have to borrow and he's going to pay for the programs he wants, how is he going to pay for it?

If he's not going to raise taxes on somebody so that we can start paying our bills, where will he get the money?

He will try to borrow more but we are about tapped out. We have a 10 trillion dollar debt in a 13 trillion dollar economy.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Reply to Gateway

You are correct. I noted there is always a variance of uncertainty in election years regarding the markets. Out with the old and in with the new, so to speak. The way it seems to work is that there is a scramble - those who will figure out the best way to deal with the new administration will prosper. Those who don't wont. The current situation is more of a reflection of the last eight years. To even suggest that this recession has anything to do with Obama to me is out in left field, imo.

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wise Dome
It has nothing to do with Obama policies

Really?

Did you read the article I linked to?

It looks to me like plenty of people in the market are worried about an Obama Presidency.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Fuzzy Wabbit

you do realize that the main reason the bailout was necessary is because of the Clinton administration allowing big lenders to hand out mortgages to people who would not be able to pay them.

Also, with the Democrats holding the majority vote in congress, it's kind of hard to blame it all on republican policies, right?

new topics

top topics

join